Wipers and Washers

vwmike78

A little update on my wiper failure problem in my '78... pulled the motor and entire wiper assembly apart from under the dash, and pulled apart the motor b/c the problem did not appear to be in the linkage assembly. What we found was, the center of the plastic/nylon gear that is inside of the upper part of the motor is stripped, allowing the shaft which was driven into it upon assembly to spin freely and thus the main shaft which drives the linkage does not spin at all. Looked online and in all of the catalogs that I have, including Bus Depot, and none of them seem to carry any parts to rebuild the motor, only new or reman. motors that run for well over $100. Damn! Thought about epoxying the thing back together with the shaft inside the cog, but that is a real half-assed fix and I will probably end up springing for the new motor - unless someone knows where I can find parts for the motor (specifically the nylon gear)? Again, thanks for any help that you may be able to offer.

update

Couldn't find the motor parts, so I bought a new motor. They wanted the core to the old one, so I won't have it for spare parts. Hey, I needed to get it fixed to have a working/drivable vehicle, but if someone does have the info on replacement parts, they might want to post it in this forum. As a side note, I found a motor in a junkyard '73, the vehicle had been crushed and sitting in the elements, and the guy wanted $35 for a motor that wasn't sure even worked. (I also saw a splitty there that was in tough shape, but I just always love seeing them!). Good luck to all in solving your Westy problems.

Mike

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: vwmike78 ]

Capt. Mike

Transferred to consolidate same topic.

Wiper problem

CHG Junior Member # 1652 posted 03-17-2002 08:39 PM

I have a 1990 Westfalia (Burgundy). The windshield wipers seem to be traveling in to large of a range. From their at rest position parallel to the bottom of the window the driver side sweeps far enough so that the top 3 inches goes over the left edge of the window. Roughly 120 degrees of travel!

I am the second owner of the van and I know that the previous owner had an accident involving the left front. I have looked at the Bentley and mentally I can’t quite figure out what would be causing this from looking at the pictures. Perhaps the wiper motor park position needs to be adjusted, before I spend the time removing the dash to investigate I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the wiper motors has some insight?

Broken Wiper Shaft

sweigard Junior Member # 781 posted 03-24-2002 10:22 AM

82 Westy, passenger side, broke off the wiper nut just above the the last of the bottome threads. Hardly enough thread to catch a new nut. Seems like a stainless shaft, and won't accept a weld properly.
Looking for a quick fix for now.

Will I have to remove dash to replace that shaft? Any ideas?

Larry

[ 03-25-2002: Message edited by: Capt. Mike ]

Capt. Mike

CHG: Most of the time overplay of the wiper is adjustment on the shaft as described above. The wipers should park 70mm from the lower w/shield edge, though a little lower -- as long as it doesn't sweep down onto the w/shield gasket at high speed -- won't hurt. park position is adjustable, Bentley 92.3, but usually not the cause of oversweep. That is to insure the motor crank is at the end of the sweep when the motor stops in the park position.

sweigard: Not the dash; but glove box & insturment cluster per Bentley 92.2.

sabo

(Reposting this. Sorry if someone responded already. I didn't see it before they did a server swap and some things were lost)

'84 Wolfsburg. My front wipers sometimes behave as if there is no power going to them. When they work, they work perfectly. All speeds work with no skipping or other problems. They work until I switch them off. The next time I turn them on, they may or may not work. I have replaced the fuse and inspected the connector in the steering column. Haven't noticed any pattern when they start or stop working. Any ideas on how to proceed? Thanks.

mjstelk

My rear wiper is not working on my 87 Westy. I took the mechanism apart per my Bentley instructions. The pump seems to be new as is the tank. I tried to take the motor apart, but there is a black wire that is holding the motor to the mechanism that I cannot figure out how to undo. It appears to be almost fused at both ends. I was able to slide the outer casing of the motor up a bit, however. I'm not well versed on motors, so please excuse my lack of technical language here. There are several pieces of (brass...copper..?) metal which have ribbing on them around the inner part of the motor. They look like metal files. Two of them are completely stripped, and I am wondering if that might be the whole problem, and if so, do I need to just buy a whole new motor? Thanks for your help.

Alan Ruffalo

I read this whole section and could not find reference to the problem I am having. My front windshield washers squirt clear over the top of My 88 Westy. Not one drop of windshield washer fluid gets on the windshield. However my luggage rack over the driving compartment is very clean. Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this. It is not broken - it is just working too good.

Alan Ruffalo
88 Westy

Mike Robinson

You just need to redirect the jets.

Take a pin and place it into the hole in the jet and redirect it down towards the windshield. Then try the jets for where they hit the windshield and redirect. Try them again when you are at speed as the wind will cause some change.

Mike

Capt. Mike

Make sure your under-nozzle gasket is in good condition and not distorted. It affects the resultant spray 'aim'.

You might also look very carefully at the body panel. The slightest waver or dent will throw the resultant spray way off.

To add to Mike's response, sometimes years of wax and dirt accumulation will make adjusting the ball nozzle difficult. Be sure it's clean and a little silicon spray or WD-40 won't hurt.

lornem

Wiper Operates Inconsistently - '93 Westy:

I traded my "85 Westy for a '93 about a year ago and although I like the increased power, A/C and Cruise I do miss the old girl and feel a bit unfathful. I hope this change hasn't disqualified me from the great support I recieved in this forum on my previous Westies .

I sold my previous Bentley's with my '85 Westie and I have to admit that I haven't been able to scrape together the serious cash necessary to purchase the 2 killer Bentley Repair Volumes for the '93

I hope someone out thare can recognize this problem and has advice on a fix. ('93 EV (Canadian) Westy with 165K km)

On a 1500 km road trip last week - 2 ways through snowstorms in Canadian the Rockies- I had the following frustrating experience with my front wipers:

-On FAST speed they worked great and parked properly;

-On SLOW speed they sometimes started and worked (and parked properly) and sometimes did not run at all and when put in park, just stopped on the windshield in whatever position they happen to be in. A little later they worked and parked
just fine - then later still, no go - weird;

-On INTERMITENT speed, they acted exactly as tough they did on SLOW speed (sometimes worked as they should and sometimes not at all);

-The REAR wiper appeared to work as it should - in all its various modes.

Wiggleing the Wiper lever both when running and when wipers are at rest appeared to have absolutely no effect on wiper operation.

Does this sound like a Wiper Relay or a Wiper Switch Problem and how do I test for either (again sorry - no manual)?

I have managed to work with the inconsistencies but I am concerned that my wipers may die and leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere. I would like to practice preventive maintenance on my terms rather than major surgery on my vehicle's terms.

Merry Christmas all;

LorneM

ps: mine will be good - I've asked Santa for the 2 volume Bentley Repair Manual for Christmas.

Lorne MatthewsŸ

hyro

Just returned from a trip in our '90 westy and learned a lesson the hard way.I used a bike rack on the rear that has straps and bubpers that rest on the rear window.Unfortunatly the bumbers interfeared with the wipers.I didn't intened to use the wipers but they must have been acctivated by mistake.I didn't notice anything untill the day following our return and had a terrible electric smoke odor.The motor was burned up.I found a 20amp breaker "protects" the rear wiper motor as well as a auxilary heater that is not installed! After I replace the motor I will use a lower amp breaker and will look for any other multible use circuits that may be installed with too large a breaker.Do I create any problems by down rating this circuit.Do I have any options for obtaining a new motor without the gear housing.The best I could find was the whole unit for $160.00US.Thanks for any help.

icarus

Some where, long before I got my sycnro, somethng similar happened to my rear wiper. After I got the car, I spent time getting all the little things fixed. Geting to the rear wiper I discovered that it had completly fried. Quite frankly I have never bothered to replace it. I never use the rear wiper in the vanagon (nor any other car for that matter. I find that it is a distraction to me seeing it bo back and forth. As an old truck driver, I use my side mirrors exculsivly anyway, and in fact the curtain is drawn against the sun most times anyway. I guess you have to find your own value of $160. I would spend the money on better outside mirrors.

Icarus

Capt. Mike

Contrary to icarus, I use the rear wiper extensively. The Vanagon's aerodynamics are such that it literally plasters the rear window with water & road film/dirt. Kamm effect they used to call it as I remember. As evidence, any extensive driving on dirt roads, especially wet dirt roads, will coat the rear window to total obstruction. I've seen it so thick it makes finding the contact edge of the window difficult.

I found it 'cute' the first few times when I got the Vanagon so perhaps did watch it a little, but it quickly fell into "used to it" category and now I only notice a dirty rear window, not the wiper.

We don't 'source' parts on the site, but you asked options. Having a motor rewound is possible -- it's routine in the antique car market and there are numerous vendors that specialize in it -- but not cost-effective for a motor still available and that inexpensive.

Like many parts, it's also not cost-effective for VW (or any vendor) to carry multiple part numbers for the same thing. Manufacturers find the complete units can be produced for the same or less than attempts to produce the various components. You have to consider other factors such as multiple packaging, different production line procedures and all the overhead costs of carrying two items that are basically identical except for the case.

Even $160 sounds cheap when you consider fair cost of labor to disassemble the old, repair/replace internal parts, then reassemble. You have the same R&R costs, plus now a host of internal diagnosis and repair. And what if the damage spread to the case or a connecting electrics? Or you slip and damage the new part -- remember, no returns on electrical components!

samric

Intermitent rear wiper

I have a 82 westfalia 1.6 diesel and I have a question about the rear wiper. Whenever I start it (pushing the wiper lever), the wiper only goes once and then stops. I once had a 89 Golf and I remember that it operated in the intermitent mode only, which was good considering that the rear windshield has always water on it when it rains, just like my vanagon.

Now I'm wondering if I have a faulty rear wiper since there isn't any intermitent mode on it. If everything is working fine (ie. if there never was such a mode on those models), is there a way to "plug" an intermitent relay, and if so where should I hook it? My Bentley is not much help here, it doesn't even show the rear wiper motor...

Thanks

Sam

icarus

The rear on my quit long before I got it. It had burned up trying to park I think. I suspect there is a "parking" trigger that may be malfunctioning. They are not very hard to remove to bench test. Often times cleaning and lubing them will keep them running

I didn't even bother repairing or replacing it. Since I almost always have the curtains closed I would never use it anyway.

Icarus

Capt. Mike

The rear wiper is intermittent only; the sweep interval is about 7 seconds. When pushing down (towards floor) and holding, it activates the rear washer and the wiper will run until released plus about 3 strokes. The switch is basically one push on -- one push off style. When you push the lever down & release it will sweep once and then start intermittent; when running on intermittent, a 2nd push down & release will turn it off.

Oddly enough, it appears the '82 diesel was not originally equipped with the rear wiper/washer. Therefore you may have an option or add-on unit. The rear became standard with the '86 models, which you can find in their diagram of your Bentley (97.85). The unit and wiring should be about the same once you locate the relay. I'd start with checking that relay.

samric

I too believe the rear wiper/washer was an option those years (oddly considering the aerodynamic of these vehicules...). My plan is to take the old, not intermittent relay and to replace it with one comming from a 89 golf. The only problem it to locate the thing of both cars! From the "clic" I hear, I thing that relay is somewhere behind the glove compartment on the vanagon. As for the golf, I'm totally numb there...

Anyway, if someone could help me locate it on my vanagon, I'd already have half the work done. There's a awful lot of relay behind the compartment, and so far I found absolutely no info indicating the use/location of these (Bentley remains silent about relay for 81-84 diesel vanagon).

Any help would greatly be appreciated...

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Capt. Mike

Old trick -- go to the nearest wiring diagram to your model with a rear wiper and study the wire color-coding. You will often find the wiring, since it is supplied by a vendor anyway, is the same for several models. So the colors may at least guide you towards the relay. The relay panel and removal is shown in Bentley 97.10-97.10a.

samric

Bentley 97.10-97.10a shows how to access the relay panel located on top of the fuse box, at the left of the steering wheel, but what about the ones behind the glove compatment? How come the Bentley doesn't even mentionne them? What I would really like is a schematic or these particular relays, if such a drawing exists.

Capt. Mike

Criticisms of the Bentley should be directed to VW -- Bentley is just the publisher for VW material. This site has no factory affiliation.

Three types of relays are diagramed in the Bentley 97.5 along with a basic primer on reading wiring diagrams and troubleshooting.

The wiper relay diagrams for later models is right in their respective wiring diagrams. The Bentley, being aimed at the shop mechanic market, assumes a basic mechanical and electrical knowledge. Hella, the supplier for most VW relays, has most of their types, with internal diagrams, in their catalog. I'm sure there are a number of basic auto electric manuals in the library or on the internet.

Relays are not normally repairable, so the testing is basically the required activation (usually from switch) power going in and the ground out, and then if the expected operating current is going out. These basic tests can be done with a test light &/or volt/ohm meter. Most relays can be bench tested by applying the 12v trigger current and testing output with an ohm meter. Other site topics discuss test leads & test equipment.

samric

I found the relays I was looking on my van. Funny thing is that there already is an intermitent relay in the relay panel, so I guess the previous owner had the same idea in mind.

From what I understand, I do have everything in place in order to have intermitent wiper. So to get in up front, I'd have to remove the plastic wedge in the windshield wiper switch. As for the rear window, I'll have to re-wire a few connections... I'll try to figure this out and I'll keep you guys posted.

Sam