Windshield, fixed body glass, gen'l glass questions (no door/hatch glass)

Capt. Mike

The VW parts system is not a perfect world. Fiche diagrams often show items not available in the US market. An imperfect guide as to availability is whether there is a corresponding text description and part #. If there is a picture but no #, then it probably was never available in this market. If there is a #, then there is a chance you can special order it (if still in production), even though it may not have been sold on models shipped here. This is not the forum for a long discussion of the illustrated parts diagrams -- there is one in the PARTS forum that you might ask those questions on. There were 4 editions of the Vanagon fiche when I got mine, depending on model year & drive train, Thus my admonishment on including model year in every post. I probably used the late-model when I looked. '84 was on a different fiche.

Regarding the venting -- at the bottom of each parts fiche, there is a list of M options. What is ordered by VWoA and dealers may well include M options. M options are usually built into the base price and thus never appear on the MSRE tag. Westfalias generally started life as stripped Kombi transporters. Thus often had few of the delux accessories of a GL passenger van. Later US models were generally on GL transporters. Undocumented running changes were common. Other variations may have come about from where assembled (not all were assembled at Hanover -- Styer-Daimler-Puch assembled all of the 4WD and some others in Austria. Fittings may then have been installed there or when the vehicle sent back Westfalia for after-production installation of the whole interior, Westies & regular Vanagons alike. So don't put too much stock in what you've seen on the road as being 'standard' because that term also floats. The vents may have been introduced well into Vanagon production AND may be model or M option inclusive.

ATTITUDE is the difference between dealers. I've never had a problem with any dealer being willing to show me the fiche (now computer screen) or discuss parts variations. But . . . a lot depends on your attitude towards them -- they are human, too. Don't come in demanding when they are busy as heck. Ask when their slack time is; don't complain about parts availability & prices -- the counter personnel have NO control over that. Thanks & Please do wonders. Heck, I take mine to lunch now & then.

One caution, you CANNOT cut down the glass -- it is tempered safety glass. The only solution is to have new windows produced by a specialty glass facility that can temper them for the safety feature. This is NOT cheap. Many states require certified safety glass during DMV inspections. I'd never consider using regular glass in an automobile, even if I could get away with it. Lexan, maybe, but not glass that breaks into lethal chards.

As to bending aluminum -- I won't venture a guess. I've seen it cut an welded in small segments to get complex curves, but the time, technique, expertice and special equipment also adds significantly to cost.

Oh, my dad once made a platform (std. Vanagon GL) that would fit between rear & front seats so the dogs could get up to window level at the middle side windows. Complete with pad and cover. It could be lifted out when not in use. (Carpenters are cheaper than metal & glass fabricators.)

babeachbum

Wonder if anyone has suggestions about stopping leaks in the windshield. The rubber around mine seems relatively new but whoever replaced it did a sh@#?# job and it has been leaking into the dash area and down behind the front kick panels.

Trying to avoid replacement.. any ideas about using silicone or some water proofing or sealant?
Thanks in advance.

Capt. Mike

Per above; there is NO magic "pour-it-on and it will migrate in and seal everything." It will also do little good if the initial installation was not perfect. Was the metal frame clean, rust-free, in good repair? Was the new gasket correct, good quality, new stock (hadn't hardened), OE or OEM? Was the installation by a professional using the proper technique and sealants?

Get a new gasket and have a glass professional remove & reinstall. As above, this is one task best done by experienced glass installers. Your leaks will, if not already, cause permanent damage.

Hershamboy

Hi, Due to rust ubder the rear side window rubber, I am about to remove window and rubber to repar rust.I'm going to get a pro to refit,but would it be wize for me to replace my vented window for a standard one (I'm going to replace the chrome strip rubber with a standard one as well).Thanks
Hershamboy (Dave)
1989 westfalia california,5 speed,1.9Ltr,

Capt. Mike

According to the VW N.America parts fiche, there are two window parts for glass. One specifies for models 253-255, which tells us it was available on a wide range of Vanagon models. The other is for the same range of models but with option M219. M219 is the option for the vent. This tells us the option was available on the same range of vehicles, but whether packaged with trim levels or certain configurations is impossible to tell.

The windows then call for the plactic vent panels, one left & one right. There would be matching seals for both glass & vents, I'm sure. The vents open towards the rear with a slight outward flare so they act as venturis. Air flowing over them creates a vacuum at the trailing edge to help exhaust interior air.

There is no indication they where ever available on the sliding door or middle panel; and no record of them being forward of the rear side windows as one member claims.

At the very rear of the vehicle in the D pillar, behind these exhaust vents, is a large intake vent to feed the engine compartment. This has no relationship to interior venting. In Syncros, the RR air intake also feeds a duct to carry air to the cleaner, getting the intake above dust & splash.

Bay Window Type II Westies had vent wing windows in the rear at the front of the rear-most windows which could be opened to act as exhausts. Whether all models or not, I couldn't answer.

Hershamboy

Cheers for that,once I've fixed the rust I'm not sure wheather to put back the vented glass or replace it for standard glass. Do you think the vented glass could be more prone to leaking,
I'm not worried about loseing the extra ventelation.

Capt. Mike

Rear window tinting

rockhead
user_offline.gif

Can you install window tinting over the rear hatch glass? Would it interfere with the defrost element being that the element itself is surface mounted? Thanks.

Last edited:

Capt. Mike

Yes, rear windows can be tinted. Use a professional installer, not some kit out of the discount store. The professional installation uses materials that can handle the heat and won't develop air pockets.

Check your state DMV. Many states limit the amount or degree of tint allowed on the rear window as well as front side. For example, in NC you will pay an extra $10 each state inspection for a test of light transmission if your vehicle has other than factory tinted glass.

Last edited:

MMR

Replacing window seal rubber

Just acquired a 1984 Westie that seems to be running fine, so I'm starting to make some small repairs.
How hard is it to replace the rubber around the windows, it's pretty brittle and leaves nice black streaks down the sides when it rains - easy enough to wash off, but the rubber is slowly washing away...
Is this something I should tackle myself - limited amount of tools, but plenty of patience.

Capt. Mike

:( Answered post #14 this topic. (Guideline #4). If your vehicle has the chrome winshield trim, I'd suggest you abandon it and go with the non-trim molding. The trim makes installation much more difficult and does nothing for watertightness.

Last edited:

fabulis00

Windshield Replacement and Rust Spots

Good afternoon,

I read through all the posts, but didn't spot an answer to my question (apologies if already covered).

My windsheild gasket seal is leaking, and I am having a pro replace next week. There is one obvious spot of rust underneath the seal, with a small bubble on the body next to the spot, and there is obviously a potential for other spots.

I have poked around a little, and in general the area underneath the seal seems to be in good shape (keeping fingers crossed ;)

My question is, what should I do with rust spots found underneath the seal? Will the new gasket seal stop that rust from spreading, or should I (or my installer) treat those rust spots prior to installing the new seal? If treatment is needed, what would be a good product to use?

Thanks for the great site and your help!
Mike

Capt. Mike

Bentley §64.3: "If paint has been damaged, repair before installing new rubber seal."

This is the only way to stop the rust from spreading. Your flange is made of two pieces of sheet metal (Fig. 64-136 §64.4) and air can get to it from the inside of the vehicle even if you could get 100% seal from outside. Rust also contains oxygen (ferric oxide) and thus can refeed the process as the metal disintegrates. I'd suggest you remove the windshield yourself if within your equipment & capabilities, properly derust, repair the metal if necessary and paint as suggested earlier in this forum (POR-15 or equivelent) , then have a pro install the new seal & glass.

fabulis00

Rust underneath windshield seal

Thanks Capt. Mike,

Removing the windshield was a little more than I had time, tools, and skills for, but I found a nice glass man that is working with me. He came and removed the windsheild and found two spots of rust. One he could deal with on site, but unfortunately the other one needs to have a more detailed repair because there is actually a hole associated it with it. :(

So it is going to the body shop for repair, and the glass man will go to the shop and install the windshield after the repair. Given that the cost is not extravegant for the rust repair (~$150) and the glass and seal replacement is being done under insurance :)D), I prefer to have a pro shop do the rust repair.

Thanks for your help!
Mike
'87 Westfalia

jillandshannon

New to this site, looking for someone to help, is the windshield on a 74 Westy the same as a 75-79? Are there any other ones that would be the same in a different model/type? Mine has a crack, need to replace. Could someone email me?? jillmoss1@yahoo.com
Would really appreciate it,
Jill