Water pump and faucet questions

Capt. Mike

Fuses blow for two reasons -- short or ground. The wiring diagram for '80 - '85 is in the Bentley and is good enough for your purposes. You may find some wiring colors different. Look for grounds. Remove faucet and bench test for short or ground and proper operation of switch. If not there, then check pump. But look at the wiring diagram. Power is live to the pump and then controlled by the faucet switch grounding the circuit and completing when pump is turned 'on'. You can disconnect from the faucet switch and artificially ground at the T2 connection to see if it is the pump or after (faucet switch).

Richie704

Afternoon all,
I hope someone may be able to help me with this...Im new to the Westfalia community so bear with me. I recently purchased an 82' Vanagon and am having some trouble with the submersible water pump. I would like to ensure that the power supply to the pump itself is good but can not open the pump to check the wiring. Thanks everyone for the support.

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt. Mike

Read the wiring diagram for your model (§97.33 in my edition of the Bentley). It shows a T2 connector before and S5 fuse after the pump, good places to tap with a volt-ohm meter. There is also a T2 connector before the switch. You can do route tracing at these points to see if you are getting power to the switch and pump without taking the pump apart.

Last edited:

debbiej

just replaced the non functioning water pump or faucet with a manual one from Go Westy. it works, no leaks, but it loses it's prime if not used for a little while. I left the old pump on the end of the hose in the tank assuming it acts as a check valve as well as a weight. both hoses are hooked up.
I feel like I'm missing something obvious....

going to cap off the city water on the bottom of the faucet/pump. we never use water under pressure or have it availble where we go anyway. and I think that may be where the air is sneaking in.

yes!! it works very nicely now, with a brass cap over the city water connection. it is very cold tonight, (for New Mexico, anyway..27) I hope the lines don't freeze.

Last edited:

Richie704

Silly question I know, but I am new to the world of Westfalia.
Can anyone tell me what the key hole is for on the outside of my van? To be more specific, where the power and water connections are on the driver side. The gentleman that I purchased the van from does not have said key and I presume that I need to have it rekeyed? Thanks everyone.

Capt. Mike

Already answered in "Water tank, filler . . ." topic this forum. External hook-ups described in detail in your Camper supplement to Owners Manual. See also respective topics "City water connection" this forum and "Shore Powers . . . " in SPECIAL WESTY WIRING forum. (Guideline #4.)

oldtrs

Faucet blocked

I've just replaced the external water pump on my 83 1/2 Westy with a new one from GoWesty. At first I couldn't get any flow out of the faucet. The pump produced lots of flow with an open hose connected to the pump outlet, but no flow when connected to the faucet hose, and I couldn't blow air through the faucet. After reading the post below I removed faucet and poked a small screwdriver in the faucet tank inlet from the pump and with a bit of force I could feel something moved, and then I could blow air through. Now its all reassembled, water flows but the water flow through the faucet is pretty slow.

I'm wondering if the problem might be a sticking check valve that closes to prevent flow down the tank line when city water is connected. Of course the faucet is a sealed plastic unit, so there's no easy inspection or repair, but I'm wondering if anyone has opened one up to see what's inside and has any suggestions to improve flow. I'm also wondering if I'll get a blockage again if I ever connect to city water.

goldvan

Low flow from sink

I have '86 westy. The sink has always worked, but the flow was very slow. It takes 2-3 minutes or more to fill a liter bottle. I replaced the pump hoping that would help--it did not. Had to replace the faucet recently--that did not help either. The tubes don't look very gunky. The pump does seem to have to prime for 20-30 seconds before I get flow.

Is this normal? Is this a normal flow rate for a Westy faucet?

Chrisradioman

Hi everyone, this is my first post.
I have a 1979 Westfalia Berlin Deluxe it has a tap with the city water leaver, I've rebuilt this with noe O-rings etc because it was leaking. Its now good however the tap itself leaks or more specifically the spout for the tap where it joins the body of the unit. Does anyone re-con these or can you buy a suitable replacement. We go camping most weekends so having it working is quite important, any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is what I have done so far:-
TapRe-con.jpg

TapRe-con2.jpg

TapRe-con3.jpg

TapRe-con4.jpg

TapRe-con5.jpg

TapRe-con6.jpg

TapRe-con7.jpg

TapRe-con8.jpg

jwonder

No water flow from tank or hose

Hi, thanks for your time on this...
We bought an 89 Westy. We put water in the tank when we got it, turned on the faucet, water came out. We didn't touch it again for six months. Now on a road trip, water in the tank, turn the faucet, nothing comes out, no sound is made. The LED panel in front of the stove works fine. I tried hooking up a hose "city water" and still got no water flow. Fuse has been replaced. I don't see anything out of place, looking worn, etc. The twist of the faucet feels, well, cheap, not very German, or worn - but when I took it apart, all looks fine.

I have the manual to tear this thing apart, but I don't know how to trouble shoot it. If we don't get water from the city, then is the faucet most likely the problem?

Thanks again.

tourmaline

Leaky Faucet

The sink faucet of my 82 Westy is leaking water from the underside where the hoses connect. Water is dribbling down onto the electrical cords in the cabinet under the sink. I disconnected the city water line and the water-pump hose, they both looked fine...then I reconnected them making sure they were connected tightly to the tiny "spigots" on underside of faucet. It didn't help, the leak is still present. Does anyone know what the problem might be and how I can fix it? Thanks so much, I appreciate any & all replies.

nwesty

I own a '87 Westy and agree that the output of the in-tank water pump is too much. So, could a valve be installed in the water line that runs from the water tank (from pump) to the faucet to restrict the volume of water? would this in any way damage the pump?

It would be great to reduce the volume to the faucet by about half!

adera68

Water not flowing

Hello, I an new to the site. I have had an '87 westy for two years and love it. I am having a problem with the water now though. I do not get any flow from the tank. When I flip the switch to check water level indicator is show the tank between yellow and green (and a full battery charge). The picture attached is of the fuse box below the seat belt on the drivers side (I think). I was thinking that since the water level indicator works it is not the fuse. I just bought the big book (Bentley) and it is very confusing to me. any ideas on what could be my problem? One other note I have not tried the water with an external source yet. I am in North San Diego county.
pencil.png

Attachments

• fusebox 003.jpg
    fusebox 003.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 41

Capt. Mike

I assume you meant an '87 Vanagon. Someone has messed with your wiring as evidenced by the yellow connector at the fuze box. That may lead to a previous miswiring. I don't know what the silver wire is for, but it shouldn't be there. Also, you have the wrong fuze for the water pump. It should be the white 8A. Open the cabinet floor and check water level by visually. The LED senders can get contaminated from old age and 'stick' in one position that is no longer accurate for your LED read-out. That is another reason we recommend frequent draining & cleaning of the tank.

Last edited:

82 Westfalia

My '82 Westy's water pump was already removed (along with the faucet) by the po and I am getting ready to replace the pump but have been reading conflicting posts if I need an undersink or submersible pump, anyone know?

Max M

Leaking kitchen spray hose

I have a 94 T4 Westy California Syncro with a similar problem - leaky faucet and / or hose that results in water seepage following the hose back into the cabinetry under the sink.

The tank looks pristine and by the looks of the rest of the Westy it has had little use over the years.

There are no shore water connections. I suspect the leakage to be in the spray faucet handle. It's impossible to see since the entire hose has an outer metal covering. Is the faucet serviceable? I can't figure out how to take it apart (other than the nozzle) without breaking it. Are there reserve parts available? Do I need to buy Bentley in order to get my answers?

How did you resolve your problem?

/Max
Sweden

QUOTE=Capt. Mike;8907]Transferred to consolidate same topic.

pieman Jr. member 20 Jan 2008

Hello,
My wife and I have just bought a 95 t4 westy. We are both very excited and cant wait to get going on our first outing in march. BUT, today we were checking all the camper bits and when we filled up the water and switched on the tap, water stated filling up behind in the space behind the drivers seat (we were on a drive sloping forward).It didnt look as if it was coming from the waste pipe, so i asume it is a hole in the feed pipe. The only bit of the water feed i cant get to is the bit that runs under the fridge. Am thinking of replacing the whole length of hose, from the water tank to the tap. Does anyone know how easy (or hard) that might be or do you think i am barking up the wrong tree. I didnt get any manual about how it all works so i am just bluffing it. I also have an on board gas fill up at the petrol station type, is there a gauge to tell me how much is left??
Sorry about all the questions. The van was in such good condition we just had to get it![/QUOTE]

north2south

Hey, I have an 89 westy that I am just about to cross the border with and the water stopped flowing from the tank to the faucet.. no sound no nothing… Also for some reason or another in my owners manual it doesn't say which fuse is allotted for the water pump.. 5 or 6 I am guessing because they are listed as the vacant spots. Any ideas?

thanks for your time.

Hugo Sampaio

Hello, we recently purchased a 1993 Eurovan Westfalia Camper. While cleaning/flushing/filling up the fresh water system we noticed some water along the left side, rear window (on the outside, directly opposite from the bridge at the window/rubber joint level). It's certainly possible that the water we found is a left-over from the last time we drove in the rain. However, another thing is somewhat suspicious is that directly underneath where we see water, there's a little bit of rust. We definitely want to get to the bottom of this one -- it could be nothing but if it's leak, we want to get on it right way!

Can anyone advise on the location of the fresh water pipes? Has anyone experienced a similar issue or have a recommendation?

Thank You.
H.

1993 Eurovan Westfalia "Buttercup"