Water pump and faucet questions

jeanon

I disconnected the old pump b4 seeing what color wires connected to each other at junction block- could someone give me the color connections. The wires leading to the junction block are black and yellow and the colored wires to the pump are blue and brown. Is is true that the tank has to have water in it to run the motor. I used a test light and cant get power at connector-tank dry. The fuse behind the drivers seat was blown and I replaced it-still now power with empty tank.
Does the switch on the range have anything with power delivery or is it just for the indicator lites?

Capt. Mike

Although there are a number of changes, the basic wiring diagram for Campter 1980-1985 remains is a good guide for the later models. The biggest difference is fusing -- with the fuses moved to the fuse box behind the driver's seat.

Pumps and faucet/pump switches are vendor supplied and may have come with many colors. In European cars brown is usually ground, but in most other applications, black is ground.

The switch on the LED panel has nothing to do with the pump but how the pump supply is wired to the relay does mater. If miswired, the pump will only run with the engine running.

Water in the tank has nothing to do with the pump circuitry, but running for long without water is not recommended as it can damage the pump. A 1-second run to test the connection won't hurt.

Zonetrap

82 Westy Diesel

How do you know the water pump is ok? Will it make a noise when I flip the water pump switch? Mine is the submersible type.

Zonetrap

I just got a new faucet from the BusDepot. And the faucet has the city water and fresh water lines, but it also has to wires. Im pretty sure the original one didn't have these. Can anyone tell me what these are for?

Z
82 Diesel

A. Cooper

Zonetrap, a glance at Bentley 76.17 and 76.18 reveals that there are indeed two wires from the water faucet. Wiring diagram 97.32b depicts both as Yellow wires, although I seem to recall one being Green on my 1983 diesel Camper. Either way, inside the rotating knob of the faucet is a pair of electrical contacts which constitutes an on/off switch -- this is how your fresh water pump is activated.
If your original faucet lacked these wires, and did not operate this way, I am curious as to how you turned your pump on/off? If there was some sort of separate switch located somewhere else, probably added by a previous owner, you now have the option of rerouting the wires from that old switch to the new switch inside your faucet. Unless I'm mistaken, this switch-in-the-faucet was the stock arrangement for all Vanagon Campers.

Zonetrap

Thanks for the info. The old faucet did not have any wires, so I was curious why the new one did. And I was having trouble getting the water pump to work. So now I understand why. Cool, Im making headway with this.

Thanks a bunch.

Z

Zonetrap

OH, I forgot to mention, my camper has the water pump switch on the right side of the LED. An "On/Off" switch. So Im guessing now I can connect the two wires on the faucet to water pump wires?

A. Cooper

If you are referring to the single, tiny silver toggle switch directly in the upper-center of your LED panel, are you sure that's your water-pump switch? Before all your troubles began, did that switch indeed turn your water pump on/off? I'd be very surprised if it did, as that switch typically only turns the INDICATOR LEDs on/off -- not the water pump.
If you are referring to a SECOND toggle switch near the first one, it was probably added by a previous owner strictly to operate the water pump.

Your new faucet leads should connect to a pigtail connector presumably already dangling somewhere beneath your sink, see Bentley 76.17, photo 76-057, or Bentley 76.18, photo 76-107. If this pigtail does not exist, I would consider two possibilities:
1) Some previous (devious?) owner miswired the pump thru the panel on/off switch, possibly damaging the panel's circuits (suggest you rewire according to Bentley 97.32b), or
2) This is an unusual but factory installation which corresponds to none of the diagrams in the Bentley, nor any Westy I've ever seen.

Zonetrap, I see you have no "Mail" icon in your profile, so members cannot write you directly to minimize the amount of bandwidth we're eating up here. Please send me your email address if you have one, and I'll be glad to continue trying to help you off-site. Otherwise I'm afraid I've done all I can without seeing your van.

Good luck!

[Moderator Note: If there is no email icon (email blocked) or the email that comes up with the icon is a phony, it also means you will NOT be notified of any cuts, moves or edits.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Zonetrap

I got the new water pump and the new faucet and have wired everything. The problem Im having is once I connect the ground to the battery, the water pump will start pumping. I have tried every movement on the faucet. If I release the knob on the faucet, it should turn to off? It seems I dont have much movement on the knob either. Anything else I might be missing in the wiring I could check? Maybe a ground?

Zonetrap

Disregard my previous email. I found it. The two wires from the faucet were touching at the connection, so amazingly the pump would turn on every time the battery was connected. As you can see Im working my way through electrical basics.
Z

lono

After a few months of non use the water faucet on our 85 Westy
plugged up with some black gunk. We replaced it with a 50$ replacement from Go Westy. Works fine now. If we had peridocaly ran some water through it may have not plugged up.

Lono

Capt. Mike

Transferred to consolidate same topic.

JackN Junior Member posted June 06, 2003 04:25 PM

Has anyone had experience in bypassing the faucet knob in favor of a foot switch (to both conserve water and add hands-free convenience)? I thought I had seen some mention of this in forum postings but can't seem to find it now.

Thanks!

Pat Generic Member posted June 07, 2003 12:16 AM

Jack, I did that about 12 years ago on my 89'
Pat Generic Member posted June 07, 2003 12:18 AM

Jack, I did this about 12 years ago on my 89'. Actually it was my wife's idea. I just had to figure it out. I ended up using a dictaphone floor switch/pad. It is great and should be standard equipment.

A. Cooper

Yes, my '83 Westy also has this feature--for once, something GOOD added by a previous owner!

Mine's made by Sony, perhaps for a product similar to the abovementioned Dictaphone, but you might be able to find something similar from Radio Shack. Sewing machines often use foot pedals, so check at a fabric/sewing supply shop too.

Mine is wired parallel to the stock pump switch built into the faucet, so I can easily use either one. I typically use the main faucet for filling up the sink, then use the foot switch for intermittent rinsing of washed dishes. Keeps the hands free for washing and drying, and saves wear and tear on the rather delicate innards of the faucet switch.

When done, I simply stow the foot switch back in the cabinet below the sink, which is also where the switch is connected into the faucet-switch wiring. WARNING: Be sure that while underway or parked, no pots-or-pans, etc. are able to fall onto and activate this foot switch! At the least, you'll suck your water tank dry and eventually burnout your pump. Worse, if your sink is stoppered, you'll also run 13.2 US gallons into your kitchenette.

Probably not what you had in mind when you asked for a "wet bar."

alabama78

I have changed the water pump fuse twice in my '78 Westy and keep blowing the fuse, any ideas on what could be causing this? I have checked the battery and it has a charge on it - which seems obvious considering the two blown fuses. Thanks!

Capt. Mike

The correct fuse is 8A per the wiring diagrams posted in the tech drawings section. There is nothing on the circuit except the fuse, switch & pump, thence to ground. Blowing fuses indicates you have an overload -- bad pump -- or are getting a short circuit, perhaps at one of the connectors or the switch, touching ground intermittently like on bumps or with use.

pascal giasson

I am replacing all the water lines in my 84 westy and I broke the little spigot at the faucet (I think it was already cracked). From reading this thread it looks like a fairly common thing to brake. FYI I found that quarter inch copper pipe fits perfectly in the broken end of the faucet. I will use two part epoxy to glue together the barbed pieces that broke off the spigot and then slide them over the copper pipe. I will then epoxy the copper pipe with the barbed pieces into the faucet. (update on my faucet repair: held up on our 8 week trip)

Can someone please clarify for me if my submersible water pump should work when my tank is empty? Mine works on an empty tank and I'm wondering if something needs replacing or rewiring. Thanks

Capt. Mike

See wiring diagram in Bentley 97.33; water pump is a manual on-off switch built into faucet. It runs when switched on regardless of tank fill. If running when switched off, switch in faucet is defective.

peacemaker

I have an 87 westy and my faucet is being difficult. It works ok when connected to city water but doesn't work with the tank. It's not the pump...when I disconnect the tank hose from the faucet and turn the knob, water comes out of the hose just fine. When I connect the tank hose back to the faucet, the pump runs, but no water moves. I figure it must be a valve inside the facuet...is it fixable or should I just get a replacement?

Capt. Mike

Are you sure you're operating the faucet correctly? The knob turns one way for city water and the other for the internal pump.

If so, it sounds like your faucet is turning on the switch but not opening the channel from the tank so needs repair/replacement.