Vanagon Aux. Heater

Emil

I want to wire my factory auxillary heater to my second battery. No, I don't have the bentley manual... yet. I have gathered that it will not have a detailed wiring diagram on this subject anyway. If anyone has attempted this, any help would be greatly appreciated. Even if someone can confirm that there is a wiring diagram in the manual for the aux. heater...

Capt. Mike

What year & model?

There are detailed wiring diagrams of the auxiliary heaters in the Bentley. Four different ones for 4 models. See Guidelines #2.

Emil

I have a 87 Westfalia Vanagon GL. I will buy the manual. I am a firm believer in having one but as I said I was unsure of it's contents. As you know, some auto manuals are kind of useless.

Capt. Mike

You should be able to use the diagrams 97.148 - 97.150. By '87, the aux. heater was being phased out in the US but was still available in Canada. There shouldn't be any significant differences between US & Canadian wiring in this area. The heater was unchanged through the end of production so the '86 wiring should be the last one.

There is a difference between Syncro & regular; don't confuse the two.

Emil

Thanks for your help, I ordered the manual today. I'm sure it will help out with future repairs aswell.