Stove problems

Capt. Mike

Insufficient information to respond. Do you have the Bentley, owner manual (camping supplement) and the stove diagrams off the Tech Drawings link (Guideline #2)? And what of the above suggestions have you checked, tried and confirmed or eliminated (Guideline #3)?

icarus

Not withstandings the Capt's admonition, don't over look the obvious,,, is there l/p in the tank? Does the regulator hiss and then "click" when you turn the valve on? You can open the fill bleed valve (make sure there is no heat or flame about!) and see if any propane comes out. If not, fill the tank before chasing your tail for a problem tham may not exist.

Icarus

Maurice

Originally posted by vanafan:
I had the same problem with my '86 Westy when I purchased it; the left valve stem on the stove was snapped off . . .
Well, I have the same problem, which I'm sure I can rectify, but I just can't get the darm face-plate out. What's the trick?

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt. Mike

No 'trick' other than what's posted earlier in this topic. In the fridge section, another member posts this:

Step 3. Go to the front of the fridge and remove the front panel of the cabinet by removing the plastic screw caps by prying them off with a sharp object like a pen-knife blade and remove the screws. Now there are four more screws on the sides. Two can be located by opening the door of the storage compartment below the sink and looking on the wall next to the fridge you will find two small holes in the wood paneling and recessed in these holes you will find the two screws. Then on the other side in the storage compartment next to the fridge beneath the swing out table you will find one more and then in the lower compartment next to the fridge you will find the last one.

Last edited:

Maurice

Eureka! I've found the solution!!! Coming as soon as I get the confirmation! Stay Tuned!

Maurice

Broken shaft on cooking stove solution!
I found the solution. I have a neighbor that has a machine shop in his garage. He copied the shaft that was intact from my stove and machined a new one. Fits perfectly. He charged me $45.00, took him one hour.
If anyone is interested in getting one, let me know, I'll find out how much the mailing would be and I'll get back to you.

dusty1

I have a 1988 Westy and one morning I went to turn on one of the burners but the blasted thing wont turn anymore and I needed coffee badly. I have wiggled and pushed/pulled on the knob.Is this repairable or do I go out and buy a replacement unit.

howzbayou

I just filled the propane tank for my recently purchased 87 westy. The stove is working except the right hand burner likes to burn for a while, then it sort of 'poofs' a couple of times and blows itself out, could this be just cause it hasn't been run for a while to work itself out or does this suggest another issue? The left hand burner runs fine.

Capt. Mike

Some possible causes are: air in the system; moisture in the system (these common in a system that has been idle for a long period); air getting in through a defective regulator (they have rubber diaphrams); irregular pressure from defective regulator (there are two -- one for the system at the tank and another for the stove).

Be sure you understand your controls -- turning just pass the point of maximum flame cuts gas way down for simmer. Age, the above LP delivery quality, and even small air currents can disrupt that very low flame.

There is a diagram of the stove & parts on the Tech Drawings link. I find a good LP dealer a better source of diagnositics & repairs than a VW dealer.

howzbayou

problem solved by the following combination...(after shutting the propane valve down at the tank, of course!)

a good pipe cleaner scraping then I sealed the ol shop vac over the burner opening and vacuumed out all the cobwebs from the pipes while blowing into the air hole by the burner knob.

After this I lit up the stove and by covering the air hole a little bit and richening up the gas mix it seemed to burn through whatever was causing the modulations, and its been smooth cookin ever since...

now it's on to the sink!

CKL9

We had the samed problem and while having the system checked for leaks asked them to help us troubleshoot how to get rid of the huge flames. In the end we blew out spiderwebs and dust from the air intake tubes next to the dials on the front of the stove. Used an aircompressor with a long nozzle attachment. Worked wonders and all is great now! The stove had not been used for quite a while and everyone kept thinking it was too much air but guess it turned out to be restricted air flow.

Can't access stove valves

Hello,
I bought an 81 aircooled t25 German Westy and need to get
the brown fascia off. All the screws have been removed and the valve
stem nuts yet it refuses to separate from the s/s top. Any ideas?

[Moderator Note: Did you read post #17 above?]

I read #17 yet it doesn't explain how dismantle the
fascia from the hob!

[7/8/09 Moderator note: Rec'd off site: "Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it. I went at it brute force late Tuesday after work and managed to loosen one end. Slowly working my way along I've managed to free it. It's amazing the strength rust has. Anyway, now at least I can Clean the injector and renew the thermocouple! Many thanks."