Speaker -- Type II '68-'79

crispb

I just got a 77 Westy and would like to install a decent stereo system. The only thing is that I have no idea where to put the speakers. There does not seem to be any place to mount them in the front cab. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to put them? Thank You.

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt. Mike

Remove your door panel and you will find an opening in the inner door frame where a speaker can be mounted to the panel and extend into the door. This will place it fairly low down -- about level with the seat -- but will sound quite good.

xssa

I have a 77 Westy as well and have speakers already mounted (by previous owner on each front door panel. This is great, but I would also like to have rear speakers as well. I think this might help with the noise but have no idea where to mount rear speakers.

Any suggestions?

Capt. Mike

The 4-speaker factory Westies mounted the two rear speakers in the overhead cabinet, front corners. As I remember, they faced down and had plastic cups to protect the backs from stuff in the cabinet.

Last edited:

Mac

I ran the wiring to the back of the Van and used 6x9 speakers in a carpeted box with a quick disconnect on the back of the cabinet this way we can turn the speakers to the out side as well.

Mac

MrBill4

OK, here is what I did. I turned my lower storage compartment (under the passengers' seat) into stereo "headquaters". I mounted two amplifiers there, along with a cutom subwoofer box, and a fan for cooling.

I have a CD head unit that runs to an EQ, that controls each speaker independently. This, of course runs to the amps, which in turn run to the sub, 2 speakers on the door panels, and 2 speakers in the passenger area. The rear speakers are mounted in the wood paneling, next to the rear bench seat where the ash tray once was. I used 6 1/2 inch speakers for here, with spacers to allow for the depth of the speaker.

It sounds great. Email me if you want more detail. Have fun!

-Bill

vabus

Hello all!

I recently upgraded the "tune-age" factor in my conversion '76 Bus/Camper. My primary concern was not to alter any of the cabinets or panels. For starters was able to fit a new Kenwood standard CD player with minor trimming to the dash. The lower door cavities fit 6 1/2's with room to spare (6x9's will fit). For the rear, added some nice Clarion self contained speakers, which stowed inside the hanging bin. All the wiring ran behind cabinets and closet(inside vehicle). Added an amp behind the drivers seat on a new panel. Since I added a salvage '78 Dlx camper interior my bus is missing that vertical steel panel behind the drivers seat. I decided to make one as a mount for my amp. The spare tire area, I added two nice birch shelves and I slid a Bazooka sub tube into the bottom. The only problem was running RCA and power cables from the dash to the amp. You remedy this problem by using some new "tech" slime or flat cables.

zackingles

rear mounted speakers

I may have gone overboard with my sound system by installing 4 speaker system with a 12 inch sub under the back seat but to offer advice for rear mounted speakers, I recommend mounting speakers upside down (pointing down) in the underside of the back cabinetry. I have had 2 speakers there for a long time and the sound carries nicely as well for camping purposes if you want to use your stereo you have two speakers right by your head.

Zack Ingles
78' Westy

Last edited by a moderator: