Spare Tire Carrier questions (except exterior mount kits)

fillus

When you say carrier plate, what do you mean? Is this the same as what I refer to as spare tire carrier? Because bad weather(creek flooding) has kept me stranded on my hill, I have not had installed any of the parts I wrote of receiving so can't tell you about carrier"plate" differences. Now I am wondering what kind of shop should do the installation...mechanic or body shop. Will putting on the tension rods require welding?

Capt. Mike

There are excellent photos of the spare tire carrier in your owners manual. If you don't have one, there are many sources of replacements in PARTS and SUPPLIERS forums. This site expects you to have the owners manual & Bentley shop manual for your model so that we can refer you to them.

I strongly suggest you go to a dealer (Guideline #8) and ask to look at the part fiche, so you better understand the spare tire carrying system. The "carrier plate" is the round tray, hinged at the rear, the tire rests in. It will also show the securing hardware.

The tension rods mount above the tire near the frame and provide the "stops" & tension for when the tray & tire are lifted to their stored position. From your visit to the dealer's parts diagram you'll see the tray and tension arms are held in with two clips. Installation requires only a pair of pliers; no welding.

fillus

Yes, I do understand what the spare tire carrier is. I just didn't know what you meant by plate. I have been under the van and dropped the carrier to take the tire out so know where it is , etc. I do have the owner's manual and the Bentley shop manual, but neither shows how and where the tension rods (arms) are installed. I have all the parts now so will take to mechanic to proceed. Thanks.