Skylight (Westy); sliding sun roof (non-Westy)

michaelmaxp

Below i've included a link to some pictures of my screen/velcro setup on the skylight.

The velcro side glued on the roof is the hook side (harder plastic) and the velcro on the screen is the loop side (fuzzy). Notice the non velcro edge of the screen is the stiff but somewhat pliable edge that Capt Mike mentioned. This edge goes between the opening and the closure hardware effectively blocking the opening. Also note the additional fabric attached to the screen has a velcro edge as well, for closing over the screen to block out sunlight when needed.
This entire contraption would be easy enough to duplicate with screen,fabric and velcro if the GoWesty product is expensive. Here's the link to the pictures: http://mmperry.com/screen_pics.htm

Michael P

MichaelMaxP

vw-traveller

My '76 Westy in germany had a factory skylight vent. This had springs to push it up instead of a cranking system.
Anyway after 20 odd years the "clear" plastic had a lot of cracks, and since it was convex, water that would stay there would slowly seep through, resulting in a wet carpet after a stormy night.
Eventually it just fell apart
My solution: Fiberglass mats and resin.
This was strong enough to keep the plastic together. Sure I couldn't look out anymore, but it was milky before, and now if i parked under a street light i had a funky redish milky glow.

Technique: clean the plastic on the outside, sand it dowm a bit, clean it with alcohol. Apply one layer of resin generously, then lay a fine thin fiberglass mat pre cut onto it, apply another layer of resin untill it is totally soaked. Take care in the edges of the fiberglass mat because one its hard it a bitch to cut. So see to it thats its cut nice and the wet resin makes a nice round edge.

Type 2 T2b driver

jerepowers

More skylight screen questions. 1984 Vanagon Westfalia with factory skylight.

I bought a replacement screen for my Westy from goWesty. Seems fine, but I'm having a great deal of trouble getting the Velcro to attach to the fuzzy underside of the pop-top. I put it up there once, after brushing fuzz and vaccuming the area. The first time I touched it, the whole thing came down. Does anybody have a fool-proof way of making that stick to the fuzz?

I live in Minnesota and not having a screen on the skylight means not using it. Period. I have Velcro along the bottom of the rear hatchback screen because, as Garrison Keilor says about Lake Wobegon, even our mosquitos are above average and will climb underneath it.

[This message was edited by jerepowers on May 25, 2003 at 03:51 PM.]

jerepowers

Skylight screens - I answered my own question.

A friend of mine, who is a crafter, suggested that what I received with my skylight screen was probably not real Velcro brand hook and loop fastener. She said that she's had similar problems with off brands -- not that the hooks and loops wouldn't work, but that things like adhesives weren't as good. She suggested I spend $4 at a fabric store to buy some real Velcro. I did and it works great.

Capt. Mike

3M makes a packaged wipe (and probably bottled product) specifically to prepare the surface for self-adhesive decals and tape like Velcro. Always clean, seal & prep your surface before applying any self-adhesive products.

Phertzing

Hello
Make a long story short, on a flat bed ride home my westy lost its skylight, And hinges. I have purchased the Go Westy skylight, but they are out of hinges, as is everyone else. Has anyone tried to fabricate hinges for this purpose? If so what worked? Thanks for your input

1974 VW Westy a work in progress

Capt. Mike

Since the skylight was not a factory option on a '74, why are you installing the odd-size Vanagon style instead of the standard RV size? Cost, availability, parts and options are significantly better for the RV units.

Of course I'd be darn sure I wanted a skylight pretty bad before I started cutting holes in a Westy pop-top!

Phertzing

Sorry, You will notice I have changed Westys and didn't realize my sig was still for the old one, it is a 85 Vanagon camper

1985 Westy We love camping baby on the way