Satellite electronics -- TV/Radio/Computer/Phone

john_d_olsen

This topic established to discuss satellite electronics. Use for dishes, services, equipment and similar posts.

Satelitte phones are in the "Cell & Satelitte phone" topic.

Capt. Mike

Satellite radio service has been advertised heavily of late. Does anyone have any experience or comments on the subject?

Capt. Mike

Transferred to consolidate same topic.

Satelite radio antenna[/i]

jax Member Posted August 06, 2007 05:55 PM

Hello,

I have a Sirius satellite radio and I'm wondering if anyone here can help me figure out how to mount the magnet-mount antenna on the roof? My understanding is that the antenna need's a metal base to act as a ground-plane (I think). Sirius' customer service hasn't been very helpful in answering this question. Any information, advice or tips are appreciated. Thank you,
Joe

mrhooie Junior Member Posted August 07, 2007 10:24 AM

I've been looking at the same question as I get ready to install sat radio also

Your right. The mag mount antenna that comes with car kits does perform better with a ground plane. I have looked on a few other sites and a couple of people have recomended under the luggage rack. That the signal will pass through that part of the top.

I've seen another Westy here in town that has the sat radio antenna on the back of the westy, with the wire run in the headliner. and it works all the time, it just doesn't look good inside.

I'm considering one of the truck/mirror mounts but i'm not quite sold on where to put it.

If I come up with more, I'll let you know

jax Member Posted August 08, 2007 06:05 PM

Hello mrhooie,

Thank you for your reply. I wonder how big the ground plane need's to be to be effective? Perhaps it would be possible to mount a small metal plate to the Westy top with silicone or even velcro and then attach the antenna to the plate for use. Geez, I wonder if a coffee can lid would work as a ground plane (rounding off the edges so they don't cut the antenna covering). That set-up would allow the antenna to be fully outside, and the antenna could be brought inside to prevent vandalism. I wonder if mylar would be effective as a ground plane; and then how to mount it.
Happy traveling,
Joe

mrhooie

The ground plane doesn't have to be that large to see an improvement. I've seen this item work with good success.

Sirius Satellite Radio - Truck Mirror Mount

Here's an easy way to add an XM or SIRIUS magnetic-mount satellite radio antenna to a long haul truck or RV. Just clamp this sturdy bracket onto any mirror support arm (up to 3/4" in diameter) and place the antenna on it. Installation doesn't even require tools — the included wingnuts make it easy to secure the bracket to the mirror. To prevent cable damage, a 3" cable protector comes with the bracket. For extra security, adhesive pads for Terk's XMicro and SIR-Mini antennas are included.

sir-mm.jpg

joehix

Hello mrhooie,

Do you think this particular item would attach to the westy or did you post the picture to show the size of the ground-plane as an example?

I've got two more questions:

1) Some antenna instructions I've read say to move the antenna at least 3" in from all edges. I wonder why? Maybe it's because if you put the antenna on a full metal roof edge it will cause a loss of signal on the open edge opposite the metal?

2) I've also read from Sirius that the least good way to have the signal sent to your car radio to play through the westy/car speakers is through the 'fm modulator'. I've used this with no problem. Do you have any experience using another 'signal transfer' method? One way Sirius reccomended as being very good was to use one of those cassette tape type adapters. Unfortunately I have a CD player in the westy and don't know if they make a CD adapter.

Anyway, have a good day mrhooie!

Joe

Capt. Mike

Antenna propogation is influenced by the metal mass around it. Think of a single whip as a set of concentric circles like a pebble dropped in a smooth pond. If you have two, like the twins on a big rig, they distort from each other and the net pattern is biased heavily front & rear, just what truckers want.

If you have just one on the edge of the vehicle, the vehicle mass will cause the propogation pattern to get pear shaped.

mrhooie

Capt mike is exactly right.

I've used the FM modulator built in as well as the antenna FM relay they that they sell. I find it works great, Best way is direct connect through and Aux in. But cassette adapter works as well