Recommendations for back roads route from Colorado to California

We will be taking a trip from Western Colorado to California in the spring and would love any recommendations for back roads to take. We'd rather avoid the interstates if possible. We will have about 3 weeks. We have family to visit in Bakersfield and the Bay Area, and would like to hit Lake Tahoe, but other than that we have no agenda.

Flight

It's not advantageous to you time wise but try to fit this section in if you can: Once you're in Tahoe go over to HWY 395 and go south, this will have you travelling along the eastern sierras. Edgar Payne the painter did a lot of his work there and once you drive it you will know why. Amazing views, camping spots and little towns, worth the detour and you can cross over to Bakersfield and the central valley at tehachapie. Hope you have fun !

Was definitely planning on highway 395 at some point. I have been there and it is amazing. I'm not sure if we'll head to Bakersfield first and then head north or the other way around. What is it like heading up and over at Tehachapi?

Flight

Tehachapie is just a small town, nice four season town. You can cut through to Lake issabella and then into the central valley a little futher north up 395. The sierras just got snow and will probably still have some or a lot in the spring when you go, plan lower altitude transits as a backup in case there is a bunch of snow.

I just joined this forum - but thot I'd comment here.

If you are on 395 in Calif a great place to camp is the "Mono Vista RV Park" in Lee Vining, CA. It is more or less across the street from Mono Lake (with the weird hoodoo calcium columns - see Pink FLoyd "Wish You Were Here" album) and a few mile from the turn into the Tioga Road turn into Tuolomne Meadows and Yosemite. There are tons of great hikes in this area and stuff like Bodie ghost town to explore.

The RV park has full hookups (for bigger RVs) and a great grassy camp area for tents - very comfy. Emaculate bathrooms with showers and a camp store. Walking distance into town for BBQ.