Rear Hatch

Capt. Mike

Look at your Bentley §55.2. The manual locks have only 2 parts, the latch assembly and the lock with lock cylinder. Individual repair parts are not available. IF the broken metal piece isn't a casting, a competent locksmith might be able to repair the latch but the cost probably outweighs new and runs the risk of adding a stress that could damage the lock. A lock keyed to original can be obtained special order from your dealer but aftermarket locks will lose the single key feature VW uses. Be sure and replace the seal; leaking seals can rust both the hatch lid and the lockwork. Also check your striker plate. The low-friction strike pad can wear or sheer off and the lock is then striking the metal block direct.

RE email, please read the "Missing Post" link above and Guideline #11.

bhontz

Rear Hatch Rattles

I'd like some help trying to resolve a rattling rear hatch. The hatch rattles loudly as if it is going to pop open over over even moderate bumps like lane markers. With someone else driving, if I press hard on the hatch from the inside towards the rear of the vehicle, the noise stops or is greatly reduced. However, there seems to be very little play in this direction when I do this, at most maybe 1/8" of an inch. The hatch seems to close fine from the outside - again, closes tightly with very little in/out play and the fit looks good between the hatch and the body. This is a manual lock hatch. The lock mechanism does seem a bit odd, I can not seem to lock the hatch when closed, I need to lock the hatch and then close it in order to keep it locked.

Any suggestions on adjustments that could help return peace and quiet?

87 Westy

Capt. Mike

The striker plate has a plastic contact and rub surface on the wedge part. If this is broken or missing, it leaves a lot of slack in the latch mechanism. Of course the striker is adjustable. Also, worn-out hatch seal can leave door slack.

Last edited:

bhontz

Rear Hatch Rattles

Thank you i will check the striker - and hatch seals. ... and I have a manual lock hatch.

VancouverRox

Hi all.
New here & it's my first Vanagon. An 84 1.9 Water cooled. Manual locks.
My problem is even with the rear door unlocked it wont open. I have removed the interior door skin but still can't figure out how to open it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading!

Hi all. Fixed the jammed door by turning the latch inside the door as far clockwise as i could. Then i liberally sprayed with WD40. After several soakings I worked my fingers into the bottom corners of the door, to give it some leverage, and after several pulls it came free.
Phew!
Thanks for reading!

Last edited by a moderator: