Questions About a SPECIFIC Vehicle Purchase

judlandis

I can only speak to the differences in camper configurations.

Assuming the '71 is a stock Westfalia (US market), the pop-top has a canvas cot that folds out with (not much) room for 1 person. This canvas is often rotten unless exceptionally well cared-for or has been replaced. When I travelled in a '71 back in the day we used this cot as a gear storage shelf when parked.

The stock '71 floor plan is much different than a '79: There's no stove, and no fridge. There should be a sink (with a hand pump) and an ice box (no cooling unit) just inside the sliding door. (I've seen a lot of old westies with this unit removed). The clothes closet cabinet is on the passenger side (makes a nice big blind spot). The lower bunk is similar to a '79, as is the cabinet above this bunk.

There's a table that flips up from the driver's side wall. The folded bunk serves as the seats on 1 side, and there's a rear-facing seat behind the driver's seat that faces the table. These came with a movable stool that can be placed in the aisle between the front seats as additional table seating, but these are often missing (also available at a price).

These origninally came with another canvas "child's cot" that fits over the front seats. We also used ours as gear storage, and these are often missing from used westies (but are available).

Also, did the front seats swivel backwards in a '79? They don't on a '71.

I had some good travelling in a '71 Westy. Enjoy it. Engines are cheap compared to my current '89.

tarmadilo

Thanks for the reply! I figured there were some significant differences between the '71 and the '79. Nothing that a block of ice in the icebox and a Coleman stove won't handle!

I'm looking forward to getting it and getting started fixing it up. I'm still mulling over my options with the engine, whether to rebuild it, replace it with a remanufactured 1600, or find a later Type 4-style 2000 in it(and I'm still not sure if that's feasable, though the extra power sure would be nice...).

Cheers, Tim

G

Hope I'm posting this correctly. I'm thinking of purchasing a late 85 with 12k on a new cluch, GEX complete rebuild 2.1. very clean. It also has new injectors water pump fuel lines etc at the rebuild. Owner said late 85 had the casing for the 2.1, hence the larger engine. His asking price is $6500, and will come down if the mechanic says any repairs are needed.

Many people seem to say to steer clear of the 84 85 due to the colling/electrical system. IS this true? Should I hold out for an 86? I'll only use this vehicle for major family road trips so reliablilty is key. I live in a town where excellent vw service is available. Thanks for all the input!

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt. Mike

Read the topic this forum on "Deciding between model years & features". Also read the topic on GEX engines in the PARTS forum. See Guideline #9 regarding "good deal".

tarmadilo

I feel quite foolish asking this, but where can the guidelines be found??? I've looked, I've used the search function, I've looked some more, but they're hiding from me quite well. Probably in plain sight...

Cheers, Tim

juulhindsgaul

posted March 17, 2005 05:26 AM
I was wondering if you could check out a Westy on ebay. Tell me what you think. I dont have very much experience with them, but would love to have one. The website is
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15291&item=4535322909&rd=1

If that doesnt work try ebay motors and then VW Bus. It is the 1976 Westfalia Green pop top.
Thank you It sells in 2 days so if I could hear soon that would be much appreciated.

Capt. Mike

The description sounds nice. See my recommendation, Guideline #9. It says rust-free and claims near perfect interior (my criteria 1 & 2). Obviously, no one can appraise the vehicle for you long-distance or verify the claims. See the general comments and also the precautions recommended for eBay puchases in the "Purchase methods & considerations" topic. That he is willing to deliver with balance due at delivery is positive if it gives you a right of refusal for cause and rights of professional inspection before purchase becomes final.

Capt. Mike

Trasnferred to closest topic.

bradyo22 Junior Member Posted February 19, 2007 06:58 PM

i recently lost the engine on my 1989 westie. i have decided to sell it, but had a question. should i put a new engine in it, $1000 into general cosmetic maintenance and sell it or just sell it as is. i felt that the new owner might be able to decide what engine they would want given there are many different options. whats the best way to do this.
thanking in advance.

brady

[Moderator Note: This question would normally be cut because the site doesen't support buying & selling, but I thought his delemna of selling might give food for thought on a purchase. My preference is given in Guideline #9, but this is sort of, "Which would you prefer?"]

Last edited:

Capt. Mike

Will i learn to love my westy?

sharon wilson
user_offline.gif

I bought a 1973 westy from ebay. It has just cost me another 500 on top to fix it and i havent been out in it yet.

Problem is due to the fact i have had instant hassle with this money pit, i am beginning to doubt my sanity for buying it. I call it a midlife crisis van, whereby the purchase was based on the hippy ideals i had 15 years ago and somehow owning a 'on-your-way-to-glastonburt fest' van is going to somehow make you feel that you are not a corporate clone....is frankly rubbish. Infact you end up being a skint corporate clone with a dodgy van that everybody thinks is cool til you actually buy one.

Please help VW people, I need :eek: to make me feel better about my purchase

xxxxx

sharon

Last edited:

Capt. Mike

Unreal expectations or poor purchase decision?

Sorry to rain on your parade, but a poor business decision is not the fault of the vehicle. An eBay bargain that was no bargain? There are legions of warnings about buying on eBay, including the "Purchasing methods & considerations" topic in this forum. There are posts on the necessary inspections and guidance on a pre-purchase check-list, what areas are easy to fix and what are difficult or expensive. There are guides and resources for pricing posted. Guideline #4 -- knowledge is powerful and with knowledge, protection against surprises by sound pre-inspection and wise "conditions" of purchase are available.

You didn't even say why you spent the $500. Did you find something undisclosed? Misestimated the cost or scope of a known defect? Is it something proper pre-inspection would have discovered? This is a 35 year old vehicle. It's officially an antique. Without knowing the details, what did you expect for the price you paid? Did you have it appraised before purchase? Guideline #9 outlines ways to determine a fair price and my personal preferences as to the priorities of condition.

Westies are indeed a 'cult' vehicle in the good sense. They have a loyal following and bring great pleasure to most of their owners. Elsewhere on this site are discussions of the state of "Westyville" we all embrace & enjoy. But there is no free lunch-- you must expect to pay for bringing a purchase up to your standards and you must expect the conditions driving 30 & 40 year old vehicles creates. Per Guideline #9, "Take model, features, condition & price; add how much you're willing to put into it to get it where you want it and ask if it's worth that much TO YOU for the period of time your going to keep the car." Per the popular TV ad, for these there is VISA; the Westyville experience -- priceless. '73 was a sound year if kept original. 1700cc engine, dual Solexes, near bullet-proof 4-speed & suspension. It's 68 HP & 92½ ft.lb. of torque gave it acceptable performance and not far from the heavier 2.0's & Vanagons. Maybe your attitude and expectations need a refurbish, too. I think I detect a hostility against what wasn't a careful and planned purchase. My first Westy was a '73. Last I heard, it was still going strong. When I upgraded to a '79 for the more advanced camping equipment, I sometimes wish is had just stored my OCPG Class 1 '73 -- it's now worth more than $20K. If you didn't pay that much, you can't really complain if it's not show condition perfect.

Last edited:

NeivaKai

Buying a 82 diesel, wondering if the problems are worth it.

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about buying a Westy and would like some advice. Here's the link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=679132 . She has 150,000 miles on her, but the odometer stopped so it's actually not certain how many she has. The owner says the propane lines are leaking, the refrig doesn't work, and the water pump needs replacing. He says the head was rebuilt in 2004, does anyone know why this would happen? He says a used transmission was put in in 2005 as well, along with replacing the clutch. Is this normal in Westys this old?

He says the backup lights don't work as the switch in the transmission he couldn't find. She also has some rust on the upper portion of the back door, under the poptop. Is this normal, a concern? It looks like the paint faded there, but I haven't seen it in person. Could water pool there?

How often should the oil be changed (I am thinking once every 6 months, even if it isn't driven 3-5000 miles in between)? I have never owned a Westy or a diesel, but have always wanted to. I have a '65 notchback, so I already know and love VW, just making the leap now and am a little nervous. I am trying to get it inspected, but the price is pretty amazing for this area, so I am resisting the urge to just jump in.

Mahalo!
Lee

Last edited:

Mike Robinson

82 westy Diesel

Well it looks about right ......

Westy diesels are an interesting beast.

First thing to check on it is the engine blow back. Take off the breather to the valve cover - when it is running and rev the engine. Lots of crud means dead or dying engine - essentially a cylinder ring problem pushing compression into the sump. If there is lots the engine is dead, and realistically unrebuildable. If you need a new engine for this vehicle there are a number of conversions but they are lots of work and can end up being very expensive in time and money. If the engine is dead the vehicle is basically worthless, unless you want a conversion project.

5 Speed tranny is worth having - see if it cruises at 70mph if it does, its got good ratios. Most Diesels are screeming at 60mph.

No speedo - probably cable and drive cap need replacing - easy job.

I changed my oil (Rotella 15/40) every 2000 miles or less - this little engine works really hard, remeber oil is cheeper than parts and way cheeper than puttting a new engine in.

Replacing water pumps are common

Propane lines leaking - new tank from Gowesty $350 and get it fixed at an RV place.

Back door rust - not too common, probably not a big deal.

Diesel Westys are great - especially the fuel consumption, a slow beast for sure, but if you are mechanical some of the engine ugrades that you can do are great.

Happy to talk further mrobinson65@yahoo.com

Remember it is 26years old and you will be replacing lots of stuff to get it reliable. You either need or want to be able to repair vehicles or have deep pockets. The recipts amount from existing and previous is about right.

Mike
'82 Westy Diesel 1.9TD

NeivaKai

Checked out the Westy, some more questions...

So I looked over the Westy in my previous post (see below) and I found some significant water damage to the interior, along with mold growing on the inside of the pop-top (on the fiberglass). All the headliners and interior panelling looked puckered, like water had been almost pouring in at some point. The gasket around the poptop had been replaced by the previous owner, I could tell, and the current owner says they have never had an issue with leakage (we live in the Pacific Northwest, so we have a significant amount of rain). Is this something a strong mold killer or Ozone machine could fix? Is this common? Do I need to replace the whole pop-top?

There is also some pretty cancerous looking rust under the rear window, at the seal. It is not just surface rust. Problem? Significant fix?

Mike: As for the breather...I have never heard of this in reference to an engine, do you mean the exhaust manifold? Or the intake manifold? Thanks!

Everything else checks out, I just have a 16 month old son and I worry about him breathing mold.

I had a compression check done and the cylinders are at 300, 340, 400, 340. The mechanic told me that probably the valves need to be adjusted.

Any imput is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Capt. Mike

This topic is for original purchase questions. Solutions to most of of your tech questions such as mold, rust, crankcase breather, backup light switch, etc., have already been answered in their respective forums & topics. See Guideline #4. The compression is below minimum in ALL cylinders and the range is excessive. Adjusting valves will not cure that -- the engine is due for major work. Borrow or check the local library for a copy of the Bentley shop manual -- this will give you an idea as what is involved to correct these defects. A head job is not as major (can be done w/o removing the engine) as other possibilities. A leak-down test will tell you much more. I'll disagree w/ Robinson in that the engine is rebuildable, but it is involved and not for amateurs. Only a qualified body shop can discuss rust -- it can't be judged sight unseen. There is now equipment available to check for body leaks by placing an electronic transmitter inside the vehicle and using an external scanner. Standard at MBenz dealers; can't vouch for VW.

Last edited:

remip00

Bying eurovan 1993

Hi,

We plan to buy a Eurovan 1993 standard, 280 000km with a rebuilt engine (head, piston, valv, straps, etc.) and new transmission. Realy good maintenance, realy clean. We will leave for a long trip around Mexico, US and Canada. It will be our first experience with a westfalia and we can't repair it by ourself. So

Is someone have some problems with westy 1993?

Is it a good year of production?

I hope to have comments soon, thank you!

remip00

remip00

Buying Eurovan 1993,

Hi,

We plan to buy a Eurovan 1993 standard, 280 000km with a rebuilt engine (head, piston, valv, straps, etc.) and new transmission. Realy good maintenance, realy clean. We will leave for a long trip around Mexico, US and Canada. It will be our first experience with a westfalia and we can't repair it by ourself. So

Is someone have some problems with westy 1993?

Is it a good year of production?

We also looking for a 1987 Westfalia, 130 000km. Only maintenance made on it, every thing work fine. Witch one do you prefer to avoid mecanical problem ?

I hope to have comments soon, thank you!

remip

Capt. Mike

I seem to say it until I'm blue in the face. Read the site (Guideline #4)! :rolleyes: There is a wealth of information applicable to your question. In this forum alone: "Eurovan based campers . . ."; "Deciding between model years . . ."; "Vanagon reliability . . ."; and "Pre-purchase check list (on page 2)". Guideline #9 is pretty self explanatory -- nobody can make the decision for you. From the discussions, make a list of questions for the previous owner and ask yourself what abilities and resources you have to correct deficiencies or upgrade. These cars are 15 & 21 years old respetively; be sure you have realistic expectations and follow the many tips on protecting yourself in the transaction. Both models have loyal followings.

Last edited:

debbiej

thanks for the memories..

this is a great site. much appreciated! we are eagerly awaiting the weekend when we finally go see, drive and hopefully buy the westie we've been wanting so long.

as I read, I remember some of the problems we have had with vanagons we've owned. and the sometimes love hate relationship we had with our vans. the one we are looking at has a new (43k on it) 2100 engine. it is manual with recent transmission work. we have seen the receipts but not the vehicle.

the receipts say "tuttle long block". is this a brand?
can one generalize and say that an 86 westy is a good year?
I've looked a long time, this one seems to fit the criteria my husband has, 86 or newer, AC, manual, good body and paint. I'm not sure we know a good vw mechanic.

so I guess I'm sort of nervous, I can't really afford to buy this van and have lots of mechanical expenses right away. My son went and drove it, was very impressed. the owner has answered all my questions. so....