Push rod tubes

crtlegg

I have an oil leak, and it would seem to be coming from the push-rod tube seals. Can these be replaced without pulling the head off?? I have looked in a Hayes manual but it is anything but helpful. I would appreciate any pointers.

Thanks!

[Moderator Note: Bentley required to use site. (Guideline #2)]

Last edited by a moderator:

Singletree

Yes you can change PRT seals whithout removing the engine or heads but you will need to remove the valve covers and rocker arms(you will need new cover gaskets and a torque wrench for the rocker to head nuts during reinstalation).Removing the tubes can be a pain. I've had success with a padded adjustable wrench and pushing real hard. To reinstall the tubes with new gaskets and liquid gasket goop I use a small wooden handled screwdriver that fits in the outer portion of the tube and tap it home with a hammer. Be sure to clean the engine very well before and during the project. You might find other leaks and you will know if you actually fixed something when your done. Good Luck :D

Tim Dayton

I am having the same problem and thought I would farm the job out (time issue here).

Cal

did you ever fix your problem and if so did you do the work or did someone else?

tim

Singletree

Just do it! It's not easy but its not technicly difficult either. Do yourself a favor and save the 2-4 hours of mehchanics labor ($200?) and get the $15 worth of parts and get at it. You'll be proud when your done.

crtlegg

Hello

I have not done it yet.... but after asking around it doesn't seem to be too difficult. I will be trying to fix it this weekend. WISH ME LUCK! I will post an update on Monday.

Cheers!
Well, I did it and all went ok... the hardest part is replacing the rocker arms and setting up the valves. No more oil leak!! YAH

Cheers!! Happy drivin'

vw-traveller

trick for putting pushrodtubes back in
To put the PRT back in i like to use an old used pushrodtube as a spacer to hammer in the new pushrodtube. Since the ends are the same size, you won't bend the new tube.
btw for all of you who just hate that long word pushrodtube, in original german it's much worse:
Stoesselstangenschutzrohr! ufff...

knjkeller

oil leak help

I have an 82 air cooler westy. i am having a large oil leak after it warms up and runs for about 15 minutes. it has no leak at all when not running. i have run it a few times cleaning up between runs and oil seems to be coming from the push rod tubes where they go in the crank case. both the right and left side. i am new to the westy repair world. any help would be great!

thanks all

Kurt

bmonty

Push Rod Tubes

Just doing the push rod tubes on my wifes 82 aircooled Vanagaon and had a couple of questions for you fellas. Can you do this proceedure without removing the whole engine like some folks have told me to do. Any extra detail on the procedure would be very helpful. I have the Haynes manual but it refers to everything with the engine removed, really don't want to go that path for just PRTs. Looks like I have to remove the heat extachangers??

Brad

knjkeller

Brad,

i just did this on my 82 with the engine in. i did not remove the heat exchangers. Just jacked the car up put it on a stand and went to it. hardest part was removing and replacing the tubes. To remove i used and locking vice grip with a rag around the contacts and twisted and pushed.

Kurt

bmonty

I no problems getting them out, they just fell out when I took out the retaining wire, which I'm sure isn't supposed to happen but it shows how badly the seals were gone. The new seals that came with the push rod tubes seem oversized but I'm just thinking they are aftermarket and hoping I won't have any problems getting them in, it's my next step. In the manual it doesn't say to put gunk on the seals but I read other places on forums were it says to apply it for a better seal. Did you use anything in addtion to the seals??

Brad

[Moderator Note: OEM seals are a quality silicone rubber and no additional sealer is required if seats are clean & undamaged.]

bmonty

Just confirmed with the company that they sent me the wrong seals, #1 problem solved. Only other question I have is has anyone else used additional sealent around the seals when they install the PRTs??

Brad

bmonty

Kurt

Thanks, all went well, didn't remove the heat exchanger and had lots of room. Oiled up the rubber and they went right in. Just a bit of leaking around the valve covers now so will put some gasket sealer on and should be all done. Thanks again.

Brad

Rottenkid

I used a little oil on mine when I installed them a month ago. The old ones had had silicon on them as a sealant, at least that is what I think someone had used.