Power Steering...

Greetings. I recently replaced the power steering pressure hose because
the old one was leaking, however I noticed a continuous whining sound
and don't understand where it is coming from. The steering is smooth
no leaks anywhere, however the whining sounds like it did when there was
no fluid in it. Any thoughts or ideas?

gfresh

Power Steering Reservoir

After reading thru the forum I've decided to the replace the fluid in the ps reservoir and clear/replace the filter, since the existing fluid looks to be black as coal. However, though smaller filler top comes off, the black main cover is sealed tight. I'm assuming it's a threaded cover but maybe not, Bentley is no help here. Please advise if I should be unscrewing this or prying it up somehow.

Gary

'84 Wolfburg Westy

kitt3

Hi Capt. Mike,
I have a '90' Vanagon. Last week the steering started to get a bit stiff. I checked the fluid level on the PS res. pump and it was right up to the 'Max' mark. I've looked in the Bentely 48.17. Does this mean I must replace the pump? Is there a way to unstick the limiting value? Or am I looking in the wrong direction for the problem. There isn't a mechanic within four hundred miles who will even look at my van. :(

Jim

Universal joint on power steering

I have a 91 non-synchro vanagon 2ltr with power steering. The p-s rack has a universal trunion (?) joint which is worn out from rust and salt and is very loose. Has anyone had any experience in replacing it? I have also not been able to find a replacement for it without buying the whole lower steering shaft which seems a little unusual since the joint is what wears out. Thanks,
Jim

jslowik

86 Westy, Loose front wheel

I have an 86 westy which I just noticed the front steering arm from the steering rack is loose. The rack was a rebuilt last year and the thing was aligned when that was done. The mechanic didn't mention anything about the rack being bad. The passenger side is firm. Can this be fixed or must the rack be replaced again?

[Guideline #3. Is this manual or P/S?]

Last edited by a moderator:

M4TH

Westy 85 1.9L converted to subaru 2.5L

Oups!
Last summer I swamped the engine for a Subaru 2.5L and I refilled the P/S tank with P/S fuild not ATF! (didn't knew that)
3 weeks after my conversion I noticed a leak from the rack... Is-it possible that the use of P/S fluid damaged my seals?

The leak appeared in a trip and I wasn't able to repair/refill the fluid... so my pump eventually burned (no more noise)! I ordered a new rack from BusDepot.com, and I will change my Subaru P/S Pump, but do I need to clean all my lines/hoses? Does the pump's burning created debris in the lines?

Thanks for the help!

sfrost

Are the send and return lines both 3/8 or just the send.My return line looks bigger than the send.

:mad: What year & model? Guideline #3!

Last edited by a moderator:

leenco12

Oups!
Last summer I swamped the engine for a Subaru 2.5L and I refilled the P/S tank with P/S fuild not ATF! (didn't knew that)
3 weeks after my conversion I noticed a leak from the rack... Is-it possible that the use of P/S fluid damaged my seals?

The leak appeared in a trip and I wasn't able to repair/refill the fluid... so my pump eventually burned (no more noise)! I ordered a new rack from BusDepot.com, and I will change my Subaru P/S Pump, but do I need to clean all my lines/hoses? Does the pump's burning created debris in the lines?

Thanks for the help!

I have an 86 westy which I just noticed the front steering arm from the steering rack is loose. The rack was a rebuilt last year and the thing was aligned when that was done. The mechanic didn't mention anything about the rack being bad. The passenger side is firm. Can this be fixed or must the rack be replaced again?

leenco12