No wiring at all!

magikbus

I have acquired a 74 Westy that the PO had taken out the motor and transmission with the intention of installing a Subaru engine. He has taken out all the wiring! (by that I mean any wire that used to go from the rear of the vehicle to the front is gone)

I've installed a rebuilt '74 motor rebuilt to 2L, twin carbs.

I've researched a new wiring harness and can't seem to find a listing for a '74.

Is it worth purchasing a complete wiring system from another year or just buying wire and charging ahead?
Stan

scotsborn

I would suggest starting with an existing harness and modifying that if the need arises. That same engine (basically) was used from '72 to '80 but if you are using carb's and not the original fuel injection system then the wiring demands are much less. Cutting out wires is much easier than adding so that is what my original suggestion would be based on. The amount of wires would be minimal.

magikbus

I would suggest starting with an existing harness and modifying that if the need arises. That same engine (basically) was used from '72 to '80 but if you are using carb's and not the original fuel injection system then the wiring demands are much less. Cutting out wires is much easier than adding so that is what my original suggestion would be based on. The amount of wires would be minimal.
Thanks Scotsborn....sounds like good advice. I was wondering if anyone was listening. I might try a local guy who is supposed to be an expert at VW wiring but if that doesn't pan out, I will go the new harness route and cut out wires.
Stan