Live Chat from Jan. 1st, 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockywest

I just got myself a 2001 eurovan week-ender, it has about 29,000 miles. Anyway, I am wondering if it is worth getting a extended warranty on it? Any advice on this?

zookz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kcookhg:
Hi am trying to get help in purchasing a 1985 camper van. Do you have any insight to share before I go to look it over? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi and welcome!

Have you tried looking or asking for advice in the Getting a Westy section of this site:
Getting a Westy

Long story short: I bought an '87 Westy from a seller in a distant city, sight unseen. I lucked out though and it has served me well for the past two years.

If I had it to do again, under better circumstances, the primary thing I'd do is have a Westy mechanic thoroughly check out the mechanical systems and body.

The second thing I would do is arrange to have someone who owns a Westy check it out as well. They’d be more likely to zero in on the details, those little idiosyncrasies which you will grow to love or will annoy you no end.

Thirdly, I’d read as many apropos posts on this site as possible and make a checklist from the insights you pickup from those posts. You might also read the For Sale section to see which items people tend to highlight.

I'd also check everything operable: the appliances (stove, refrigerator, and sink), windows, window cranks and slides, doors, locks, wipers, heater, a/c, poptop, skylight, gas cap (!!), the condition of propane tank, and spare tire carrier. I’d also check the exterior water and electric hookups.

I’d check for mold under and wear to the poptop canvas. Check the skylight, and the locking mechanism for the poptop. Check for rust under or around the luggage carrier (exterior above the front seats).

Sorry this list isn’t complete or very organized, I’m sure one of the other members will respond with one more comprehensive and logical than this one is.

P.S. Don’t forget to wave when you pass another Westy.
icon_smile.gif

Capt. Mike

Rockywest:

Extended warranties are discussed in the SUPPLIERS forum under "Insurance" since they are nothing more than an insurance policy.

kcastle

Greetings from a newbie (1990 Westfalia),
My wife and I are wondering what Westy drivers think is the most safe and secure position in the rear seat for an 8 year old, driver's side or passenger side? When we decide we're going to install a three-point belt. Any info or links to info much appreciated. Also, if there is a better place to post this question that info would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken
kcastle@srvusd.k12.ca.us

BrokenInAz

HELP!!! I am in dire need for the Bentley Volkswagen repair manual. I am in the Phoenix area and experiencing vanagon syndrome. Bucking, stalling...you all know the drill. I need the manual to help with diagnostics and what not. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on one like immediately.
Jamie

judlandis

I assume you've gotten a phone book and called every book store in Phoenix. Big chains like Border's and Barnes & Noble can have items FEDEX'd overnight from distributors.

If you order from Amazon via this site's bookstore, you might be able to overnight ship the book. It also helps to support this site.

I'd consider looking under the "Mechanics" thread for a good, independent VW shop to help out if the situation is desperate.

Chuck (CA)

I just wanted to stop by and give a hardy “Thank you” to Captain Mike…for keeping good watch over the forum - by making sure it’s well organized and only relevant information is posted…we purchased our 89 WESTY last December…we’ve completed most of the required maintenance and some need repairs…the remaining repairs will be completed next week at GoWESTY…Capt. Mike has taught us well…we’re in the Bentley continually…and of course we’re always reading the forum….I think we actually know more about WESTY’s than most main street mechanics…Thanks again and again for a job well done…

Eno

Hi all, calling from France where I have just purchased my 'dream', a 1984 diesel Joker hi top. Now in process of trying to restore it and get it up and running properly! [Tech questions & "where can I get" deleted per site Guidelines. -- Moderator] By the way, have just noticed that your technical message board looks fantastically useful, am about to have a look now, but am travelling to Corsica soon and would love to have a book handy in the glove compartment as I won't have access to the web. Yours and all that, Eno.

Capt. Mike

Must have missed BrokenInAz when it first hit the lists or it would have been cut since we don't carry parts wanted items. But since Judlandis has given such a good response, I'll leave it. And add: "What's wrong with using a dealer? Those that don't have them in stock can usually get one overnight. Guideline #8 -- It is a VW book with VW part number!

Eno

Sorry, sould have looked at the site BEFORE posting as I have found all the answers to my questions anyway and had a look at the guidelines. Brillilant site though, shall become a regular visitor no doubt. Cheers

Capt. Mike

The most spoken language in the world is Chinese; the most known dialect is Cantonese; the difference between truth & fiction is Clintonese.

Capt. Mike

Elvis has left the building . . . and Capt. Mike, too!

We're off to the AACA Annual Grand National meet. I'm entering my antique Porsche, hoping for my 5th Sr. Grand National. If I get it, I think I'll retire the Porsche to drive again. Since no other Porsche has ever won the Sr. GN fist, it'll remain the highest & most awarded Porsche in AACA history for a a number of years so it's time to enjoy it in the road once again. Some pics are in the "My Other Car" folder in the Tech Drawings link.

For those of you new to the site, I'm into antique cars. This show is the once-a-year, show-of-shows. A vehicle has to have won a Sr. National First just to get into the gate of the Grand Nationals. So there aren't any dogs at this show, only the best of the best. Every car will be so close to perfect, it takes the most experienced judges to decide winners and places. A Sr. requires 390 out of a possible 400 points to qualify.

AACA shows (See "AACA" topic in EVENTS forum) are free to the public and a great chance to view automotive history and art. A GN will probably pull 500 vehciles from nineteen ought-something predecessors to the Model T through '70s factory muscle cars (over 25 years old). But everything to 'as left the factory' state -- no rods or modifieds. This is the show that's worth a day's drive to see!

Cars are parked on the show field by classes; come on around to Class 25 -- sports cars and chat. You might also find a VW or 3.

Location: State Univ. of NY-Buffalo campus NE Buffalo NY (actually in Amherst -- I-290, Exit #5). Date July 17; show field opens at 0700 and all cars must be on the field by 1100. Cars are released after 1530 if judging is complete.

So . . . it means I'll be away from the site for a week or so. So here's a rule of thumb -- if you are thinking of posting a new topic, DON'T! See the Guidelines; one or two new topics a year is about it and if you look hard enough (and use the search engine (Find), you'll probably find your topic already established. If not answered, at least add to it with the REPLY button.

judlandis

I'm curious as to why new members don't provide e-mail addresses in their profiles. If your post gets cut or moved by the moderator, you won't be notified. And lots of these new posts will be cut or moved soon. What's up with the e-mail shyness?

Capt. Mike

It amazes me too, almost as much as those that can't seem to read the Guidelines before posting or those that ignore the various instructions in the index or headers. For example, this forum states -- right at the top of the index -- "DO NOT start a new topic. Post technical question in their respective forums & topics." So if they are one of the nearly dozen tech questions I just cut during this clean-up, they didn't get a message. The first couple had their emails blocked and then I gave up.

It's unfortunate. I know spam is a problem but there are such things as spam filters. But our emails are already buried 2 layers deep in a menu so expecting the moderators to go to another site and search for a member just to notify them their post has been cut or moved because they didn't read the guidelines or headers is a little too much to ask of we unpaid volunteers. Especially when all of the misposts of tech questions in this topic today were already posted elsewhere on the site.

mnmyers

We've had our westy for about a month now and love it!!!!!! We were just curious about some of the clubs we here about that meet and wondered if you had any suggestions.

Capt. Mike

See the "Dissappearing Posts" topic in the JUST CONVERSATION forum concerning a major site clean-up.

Reminder: READ the Site Guidelines, linked at the bottom of every page; also suggest you read the "New Boards . . ." topic in JUST CONVERSATION. Guidelines #1-4 are especially important to new members.

Capt. Mike

We're awaiting the arrival of Bonney & Chuck due to arrive central NC tomorrow evening. Hurricanes Bonney & Charles, respectively, that is. I've got fuel for the generator and fortunately, did a major tree trimming after Hurricane Isabel last year, so my concerns will probably be around the rains. I won't be flooded -- I'm 65 feet above the creek level -- but I'll worry about our private road washing out and my many friends in the flood plains areas.

I see they are expected to arrive and coincide over Washington DC Sunday or so. I've got a couple of theories. Since DC is the center of hot air from all the politicians and hot air rises, is this creating an upward vortex that is sucking all the storms into the DC area? Or is it God's way of bring a great rain to wash away all the stench of the back-room shenanigans and scandals?

Hope they spare you. Good luck.

campbell ingram

I man have found the Westy of my dreams, well, may have. Everything checks out only it is that ugly early 80's brown. Can anyone give me a ballpark on what it cost to repaint a Westy?

Mike Robinson

Lots - live with the colour.

Even if you decide to paint the outside - which will be $2000, I think it is nearly impossible to change the inside of the vehicle. You have to strip practically everything out ....

Then when you get a paint chip - you get to see the brown.

Mike
'82 Diesel
The same brown colour

Status
Not open for further replies.