Live Chat from Jan 1, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt. Mike

I'll be off-site for a week or so. We're taking a combo trip to Binghamton New York. First, I'll invite anyone anywhere close that it will be worth the trip to come to the SUNY-Binghamton campus Sturday, June 30th ~10:00AM - 3:30PM for the AACA East Div. National Meet. Figure 4-500 top antique cars. I'll be there, look for the truck class as I'll take my '50 Ford pickemup.

The Admiral & I will then extend it out for some vacation with old family friends in the area. Daughter is going with us, as is the dog which means I'll need a vacation from the vacation when we get back.

Capt. Mike

We're back. Very nice show; largest except for Hershey. 472 cars registered including 6 VW's. I spotted 4 in my wanderings, all Bugs, though one I didn't see was registered as a "coupe" which may have been a Karman Khia.

My '50 Ford Truck already has a Sr. National 1st, so doesn't compete with the others except for a Preservation, which I did win. My 10th. Gorgeous weather; some neat cars.

Homebound wasn't as much fun. Shortly after we left, the A/C in the tow truck decided to die. It was cooler in the hauler. And I'm still baffled. In the shop today, all pressures are in line and it cools into the 50° range. I cleaned the contacts on the pressure switches, roundly cursed Dodge, and sought sympathy far & wide. It'll now wait until my next long trip in sauna weather to die again.

I've now had a blown seal and 2 flat tires in the rain in the mud of the Canol Rd. And traveled with a teenager & dog. I'll take the Canol Rd., and spot you a flat! Our next planned meet is the NC Fall Regional in nearby Mt. Olive NC -- no more nationals planned this year. Those of you who have never been to an AACA National don't know what you're missing. Every show brings out some new car I've never seen. This trip was a Vespa CAR, a 1911 Hart-Kraft truck & a 1942 chain-drive Sterling Cement Truck, complete with mixer & chutes.

Capt. Mike

icon_confused.gif
We THINK we've got Yahoo's bug in their Flickr worked around. Go to the Community Photo Album, "Westy Site Tech Drawings" topic to get update and the link to the Tech Drawings.

8/1/07: Link now also at bottom of page next to Guidelines link.

Capt. Mike

I had a computer failure last week that put me out of commission for a while. Two cooling fans acting up. $121 later, I'm back up & running. $21 for the fans, the rest labor, delivery & re-hookup. Asus -- the motherboard people -- and Arctic Cooling leave a lot to be desired, especially attempts to get warranty service & replacements.

The boards are now caught back up. However, I didn't send courtesy emails to members who had a post MOVED, not cut. Sorry; time constraints. Some didn't have valid emails posted. The lighted icon feature will draw people to the topics where the posts were moved to, anyway.

Capt. Mike

Transferred to appropriate forum.

mpfeggyj Junior Member Posted September 01, 2007 03:09 AM

Just a quick question for 76Heat Wagen; I saw your answers on another website regarding VW problems. Can I contact you with a question about one?

Eike

European clubs and spare parts....

Hi, a couple of days I finally got myself registered here - this website is a great source of information and helped me a lot when I started to look for a Westy.

Based in Frankfurt, Germany, I bought last year a Westy in Vancouver, Canada, for our summer trips. It is an aircooled '82 in a pretty good shape. The first and only owner used it from 82 to 97 to travel from Vancouver Island to Saskatchewan once a year. Each trip is documented and he got the Westy a service at each end of the trip (so 3 services for a round trip). When he passed away the Westy was stored and finally sold last year with 136k km on the clock. We had it checked by Peter & Rudi in Vancouver, fixed a few things - mainly brakes, steering etc., all safety relevant parts - and then took it up to Wells Gray Provincial Park in B.C. This year we had the engine rebuild (Bugshop, Vancouver) as the compression in one cylinder was low. We went for a trip from Vancouver up to Banff and Jasper and back. Next year we would like to have the few rust areas done and potentially have it repainted. Does anyone know a good bodyshop in Vancouver who knows about the Vanagon and esp. the Westy? I found one on Vancouver Island: Bodyshop

As I live in Germany I started to bring parts from here to Canada as the purchase is easier for me on this side of the planet. There are some pretty well stocked places:

Busshop

Busschmiede

Kaefer & Co

The last company bought most of the Volkswagen spare parts when VW reduced their stock.

There are a couple of German T1 - T3 web communities:

Frankfurt Bulli Community
(The nickname for the Bus in Germany is "Bulli")

Busfreunde

And here a picture of our Westy:

Westy

I am still trying to find out if the design is original or was applied later. Does anyone have an opinion or information on this? If we have the Westy repainted I would like to keep the stripes...

Greetings from rainy Germany

Eike

Capt. Mike

Transferred to consolidate same topic.

dewey chancey Junior Member Posted October 09, 2007 01:30 PM

I see by your profile U are the same age as me. I was in the Coast Guard for 4 years. 1965 to 1969, the Vietnam area. I was a C/T, served all over the world. On four different ships. The best was the Cutter Coos Bay (Out of portland, Maine. It still have wooden decks(over steel)because we went way, way, North. I have a 1970 camper van that I am restoring from top to bottom (always wanted to do that). Have had a lot of vans in my younger years, if U ever saw the movie Wood Stock, that was my van (blue & white hard top camper, split window) going down the road at the beginning of the movie. I now live in Lakeland Fla. Drop me an E Mail, if U want to.

Capt. Mike

Recently I was forced by circumstances to get something to eat at a fast-food chain. It really doesn't matter which -- they are interchangeable in mediocre food and bad service. Have you ever unwrapped your sandwich and found it to look like the ones in the ad? Not too darn likely! But the experience reminded me of a previous trip and the resultant observations.

One actually advertises a "Bill of Rights" that you can 'get it your way.' I drafted my own bill of rights and sent it to their president. Response? NONE! Wonder why? Anyway, thought you might enjoy it. (This was in a US restaurant, thus the comments on language.)

We customers believe we have the right to far more basic services that are conveniently ignored by your set:

 We have the right to a server that speaks English. I applaud if you have a true multi-lingual staff, but using the national language is a customer right.
 We have the right to the staff, when discussing us or our order, to continue in English. I don’t want my order discussed in Spanish, Vietnamese or Arabic – I want to hear what they are saying about us and our order, especially due to your propensity to screw up orders.
 We have the right to a server that actually listens to us instead of following some script. When we say, “This order is to eat in,” we don’t want him/her to ask us at the end if this is, “For here or to go?”
 We have the right to a server that has at least some clue as to what’s on the menu. Since ‘number meals’ are such a popular option, when I say a #3 that is a sandwich combo that includes fries and a drink, I don’t want him/her to ask me, “Do you want fries with that?”
 We have the right to a server that actually gives me what I order. If I order a breakfast biscuit with one jelly, I don’t want to have to go back to get the jelly, nor do I want to find six jellies in the bag.
 We have the right to getting our order “our way” the first time, not in 2nd chances. If I order a burger without pickles (because I’m allergic to them), I want a burger without pickles, not one that has had the pickles removed – it leave the juice and taste. Be damn thankful it doesn’t cause an life-threatening reaction. Ditto ice tea; if I don’t ask for fruits and vegetables in my tea, I don’t want your server to take it upon himself that I’m stupid and he/she needs to show me the way to paper cup gourmet dining.
 We have the right to a manager that has enough intelligence to calculate our bill. When the computer spits out something that doesn’t make sense, I want a manger smart enough to take the items I ordered, add them up, then add the applicable tax, to come out with my total. If they are too dumb to know the tax rate or handle the math, they shouldn’t be managers.
 We have the right to a clean bathroom that isn’t out of supplies. I know some customers are slobs, but it’s your job to clean up after them.
 We have the right to a dry floor. If something is spilled, clean it up and dry the floor. I shouldn't have to dodge yellow safety cones announcing a floor that wasn’t properly cleaned and dried to begin with and looks like it hasn’t been touched in 3 hours. If there’s not an employee working on the safety hazard now, there shouldn’t be a need for cones.
 We have the right to a peaceful meal; if a customer is allowing his/her rug-rats to run around, raise hell, scream and bother the rest of us, the manger should bring the situation under control or evict the offenders. We shouldn’t even have to bring it to their attention – if they are doing their job they will have already noticed it and responded. So what if you offend the customer – that’s better than the customer offending 30 others.
 Ditto the guy with his pants down around his knees and a boom box at 127 dB. Looking at his ass doesn't enhance my dining experience and I don’t want to listen to what he calls music.
 We have the right to relief from cell-phone idiots, at least if they’re restaurant employees. It’s bad enough customers showing off they are important enough to have a cell phone – we don’t need it from employees on break or managers doing interviews, ordering supplies or arranging their personal lives. Tell ’em to use the office or the parking lot!
I always remember what one of the founders of Golden Corral, Bill Carl, once told me in 1987, “You’re only as good as your last meal.” Guess what? Half those things happened at my last meal in one burger joint. And all of them in the last 3. How good does that make the last fast-food joint you went to?

steve cross

Mike, I'm having trouble with the fabulous Bentley shop manual. I agree it has great exploded pictures and lists of parts, but beyond that i find it very lacking. My motorcycle manual tells me what to do and when for 6,000 and 12,000 mile service, then it tells me how to do the work and even how to get the stuff apart. The Bentley has exploded pictures and some scattered notes. Is there a place i can get some instructions on what needs to be done and how the proceedures are completed?

I have a specific problem just now, I changed the O2 sensor and have looked for the reset instructions you mentioned in another post, but I couldn't find it. Maybe there is a section of the manual I am missing?

steve cross

Ha! I just found the maintenance schedules under tips, sorry for not looking more carefully first. I could still use some help with the O2 sensor reset procedure, though.

Capt. Mike

What year & model? Guideline #3. There are a copies of 3000, 6000, 15000 & 30000 mile maintenance check-off sheets for Vanagons in the Technical Drawings link as well as 5-tire rotation/tread wear log & maintenance log sheets for when the service manual fills up.

O² Sensors have their own topic in FI forum; June 11 '01 post by jollymon describes as do many others posts in that topic. Guideline #4.

Capt. Mike

:D I hope all had a good year and your Westies got better with age. Suggested New Year's Resolution: Do those repairs, restorations and upgrades to you Westy.

The site has given us a Christmas present of a new look as he has updated the Server & software. I suppose it will take a little getting used to. We closed out the year with 13,388 members. Our growth has been strong and steady, despite a decline in "new" Westies as VW continues to ignore the obvious. At one time, over half of the VW buses sold in the US were Westies; now they don't even sell one.

That means we'll need sites and resources such as Westfalia.Org to keep ours running. I want to thank all who have contributed over the year. We've received lots of kudos (http://72.167.58.16/community/showthread.php?t=528) over the yearand blessed few complaints (mostly misposts).

I hope 2008 smiles on you. Keep the faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.