Live Chat from Jan 1, 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

icarus

Hear, hear!

The wall is one of the most moving pieces out there. It reminds us of the sacrifice and the trauma we all felt in those days, and brings home some similar feelings about the current situation.

If you can't see the "real" one in D.C. see one of the many replica that tour the country, and make a donation to keep it going!

Capt. Mike

The redesign of the Home Page was announced in the Just Conversations > New Boards . . . topic. It does reflect that the Tech Boards have grown beyond 'chat' into a major reference resource.

seanc

hey capt. mike, i'm new here and don't want to ruffle anybody's feathers, but i'm a bit confused as to how this site works. i posted a question last nite and i can't find it now. i've looked into this using the 'my post disappeard' link you have provided, and looked to previous posts, but my question is this: if my post was moved to a more relevant location on the boards, how do i find it? is the 'search' function ONLY for keywords, or the body(ies) of text? one of your solutions was to check the 'chat' forum for more info. i'm at a loss. it eludes me.
if you could direct me to (if it exists) somewhere on this site that explains or details any of this editing and reorganizing process i'm all ears.
thanks and sorry if i'm just a moron.
seanc

Capt. Mike

Your post repeated an identical question already answered in the "Transporting . . . a Westy" topic in the GETTING A WESTY forum. As discussed in the Disappearing Posts topic & Guideline #10, we only move a topic when it (or potential replies) significantly add to the general body of knowledge because moving a post is very labor intensive. Thus it was cut and you were sent an email at 5:55 AM EST yesterday as to where it was answered and where to repost if the information there was insufficient.

When I typed "transport" into the Find engine, the third group of posts listed that topic. Another topic listed dealt with transporting a vehicle from overseas.

Please note that the find function within a forum only searches that forum unless the <Search Current Forum> box is unchecked. The Guidelines are linked at the bottom of every page.

Ludwig van

A friend gave us 2 CD's containing 5 episodes of a program from Discovery Channel (Europe, I think) called 'Camper Van Crisis'. I guess you could call it reality TV. It details the restoration of a '65 split-screen camper in the U.K.. The owner is under pressure to complete the project in 5 months. Each episode is about 20 minutes. My wife and I enjoyed it enormously. The (real-life) story is interesting, and very entertaining, especially if you like the dry British style of humour.

I Googled 'Camper Van Crisis', and it looks like it can be downloaded. If you have faith in your anti-virus software, I highly recommend it.

Capt. Mike

I recently caught (OK, I was channel surfing to escape one of Billy Packer's inane blatherings during a basketball game.) when I ran across a segment of Nascar Angels that dealt with a VW Vanagon. In gist, a surfing safety instructor had a rotted out, completely shot VW air-cooled Vanagon for hauling surf gear. She operated a free inner-city safety program for kids in CA.

NASCAR Angels does repairs & modifications. with NASCAR teams donating shop time and, I presume, parts budget supplemented by other sponsors. They determined the van was unsalvagable. Frame & support pillars were rusted through. One of our site sponsors, PopTop Heaven donated a useable, but mechanically neglected, late 2.1 water-cooled Vanagon. This was an Extreme Home Makeover for a car.

It must be nice to have cubic dollars as NASCAR Angels threw a bunch to give this deserving lady a tricked out bus for her school.

They started on a rusted muffler with no tailpipe but I blanched when they took the SawsAll to the manifolds. They didn't look that bad but they replaced the entire exhaust heads-to-tailpipe. That's about $750 aftermarket.

Next they removed the entire cooling system -- all hoses, tanks and auxiliaries, replacing them with new. The labor alone boggles my mind.

It got mechanical overhaul where needed including oversize vented disc brakes in front, larger wheels & tires. Ignition components were replaced and I presume a full tune-up & maintenance. The A/C was overhauled. I think what surprised me was the donated van had no rear bumper so they put on a factory molded fiberglass job, which I knew was over $1200. For its intended use, I'd have thought the early steel or GoWesty one-piece would have been more appropriate, but obviously money was no object.

The van then got a lot of add-on goodies like GPS navigator, fancy sound system and custom signs for her program.

One thing that did disturb me was they put on accessory mag wheels with no comment on offset or capacity. Since I could tell they were putting new hubs (with studs) for the oversize brakes, I suppose they could use a pattern other than VW's. The wheels were Ronal R-28's ($179 ea. & up) but didn't mention size. They then said they were putting on Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge tires. Since I couldn't see the tire size, I looked up that tire. TireRack showed the ONLY sizes suitable for Vanagon use were sizes with minimum load rating 95 (1521 lb.) starting at 215/60VR16 and full Westy load rating 98 (1653 lb.) beginning only at 225/60HR16. There are NO 14" sizes at all and NO 15" sizes that meet Westy specs. All were capable of 44 psi. but the smallest w/ 95 load above would create a 3½% taller gearing and the first w/ 98 load would be 5½% taller. That's asking the stock engine to work PRETTY HARD in a vehicle that is basically used as a cargo van loaded to the brim with a roof rack full, too. I'd have felt a lot better if they had mentioned the Vanagon's requirement for truck-rated tires because a viewer might wrongly assume 15" Ronals w/ Goodyears were suitable. If they used 15 inchers, shame on them!

Other sponsors contributed to the project with surf gear and funds for her project. It was a touching story and there was decent footage of a Vanagon being used as it should -- hard. The eye-candy moderator didn't add anything. Wish they'd swapped her surfing segment and 'Oooh, it's a hose and stuff' for more on the Vanagon repairs.

Addendum 12/28/06: I just found out from Ronal that the rims were 7.5" x 16" rated at 1507 lb. Although this is less than an OE Westy tire's load capacity, it at least eliminates the spectre of 15" substandard tires, but there are still three 16" sizes that do not meet Westy specs and 3 more that are marginal.

Capt. Mike

icon_smile.gif
I hope each and every one of you had a Happy Holidays -- safe and with best wishes for the new year. To our armed forces and Merchant Marine serving around the world, thank you.

icon_cool.gif
The Air Compressors topic in TOOLS has updates and I've added a safety warning that all with home compressors should take heed of. Pics on the Tech Drawings site.

Status
Not open for further replies.