Live Chat from Jan 1, 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt. Mike

icon_biggrin.gif
Jan 1, 2006: Happy New Year and best wishes for a safe, prosperous, travel through Westyville.

Continue the 'chat' by using the Reply button, whether you are responding to or starting a new comment. See the site guidelines above; this forum is for miscellaneous thoughts that are temorary in nature and not technical questions or related to the established message boards. "New topics" will be removed; tech topics and other posts that have existing topics will be removed or moved.

This is one forum that contains archives and they are full of good stuff -- spend some time browsing through them.

Please read the site Guidelines and Disappearing Post links; have a great Westy year!

Here's a couple of carry overs to start with -- and some valuable info for new members.

The Bentley

Posted February 03, 2003 06:36 AM:

The "Bentley" is the VW Official Factory Shop Manual and is far & away the best. It is expected if you want to use this site. The site book store sells them at discount, they are available from all VW dealers, and there are numerous other sources. Bentley is the name of the publisher that produces them for VW and they have their own topic in the SUPPLIERS forum.

Although there are used versions out there, I'd suggest you get the latest you can obtain as it will incorporate VW's revisions, updates and tech bulletins. The Bentley for Vanagons was published annually from 1980 through 1991 with those updates for each new model year.

The Bentley assumes a basic knowledge of automobiles & mechanics and a proper set of tools so doesn't contain step-by-step instructions on many common procedures. There are others that may be more user-friendly but accuracy has been a problem with them and they often do not have the important specifications and testing references of the VW.

icon_cool.gif
Happy Birthday, Westfalia.org

In commemoration of Westfalia.org's 9th anniversary, and as an expression of my appreciation for all I have learned here, I have made a monetary contribution using the "Make A Donation" button which appears on the top of the main pages.

Let's face it, a Westfalia camper van -- of any era or type -- is a bit of an oddball vehicle. And running and maintaining one is an oddball pastime, performed by oddball owners. So the luxury of being able to visit here and converse with other oddballs, learning new things and exchanging tips or just chatting, represents a sense of community I have come to value quite highly.

Upon reflection, it occurs to me just how much I have learned from the likes of Capt. Mike, and how much I appreciate the efforts of site owner John Babiak, and other members here. The advice, the knowledge, the opportunity to learn from the experiences of others, even the humor are things a Westy-owner can find nowhere else.

Even from the perspective of cold, hard cash, I cannot calculate the money I have saved over the years by preventing mechanical breakdowns, and by doing many of my own repairs to avoid expensive shop bills, thanks largely to the advice offered here on westfalia.org. If I can return even a modest fraction of that money to the site, to help pay for its operation and maintenance, I will feel I have done at least something to help it continue. And I hope to do so again in the future.

If other members feel the same, if you appreciate the well-organized information, the guidance and advice offered here, please consider making a donation. It is a small price that will go a long way to help "keep those Westies rolling."

A. Cooper

zephyr

Hey all, for anyone who is interested, here is a link for a guy who is towing his Porsche 914 with a '74 Westy from Oakland, CA to New Jersey. There are a lot of posts in the thread, but scroll down a ways and you'll see his set-up.

I've talked to him on his cell and he tells me the Westy is doing very well. Flat ground cruise at about 55 and even the hills are handled well. He reports occassionally dropping into 2nd, but most of the time he keeps the revs up and it pulls strong and steady. Said he's getting about 15 MPG. What an adventure.

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?s=1fb4b945640eddf...=ST&f=2&t=45194&st=0

Marc

Adriane

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY WESTFALIA.ORG. Hey everyone on this site, stopped in to say "hello"! I'm camping at a cabin in my 1985 Westfalia during the blizzard today. We're having lots of fun! Me and my van left New York City at the New Year and I'm doing lots of traveling. Lots of good news to share, and I hope you're all having a great time, Captain Mike and family. We built a wood stove in our cabin, and I have been on some great outdoor hikes. I love being back in the Connecticut countryside. I am head over heels in love! with the's the world's greatest mechanic. We have lots of plans for my 1985 Westfalia and we're having a blast. Tonight I will be heading across the state through the Northeaster snowstorm, and online again very soon.love, Adriane

Last edited by a moderator:

Chuck (CA)

What portable outside gas grill do you have or recommend? My PG is shot...guess it's time for a new one. I've checked Consumer Reports - not much help. Looked on GoWesty's web site - same. I'm looking for a sound recommendation. Wonder is SnapOn makes one
icon_smile.gif
Thanks
Chuck

oddstray

We use the Century (www.centurycamping.com) with one burner and one grill, which we bought from REI (www.rei.com, item 710671). The no-stick coating quickly burned off the grill, but since we usually put aluminum foil under the food that didn't bother us. After a couple years' use, the pipe from the stove to the propane bottle recently gave up the ghost. Century sent us a replacement pipe, plus a replacement grill, all at no charge.

WDX063

Hey all, I'm brand new on this list, and as my username indicates, I'm looking for my family's 74 orange Westfalia. My dear old Dad sold him out from under me in about 1996 on Whidbey Island in Washington State. I've tried running the VIN down but it doesn't have enough digits to register-- I'm not even entirely certain it's correct. Not much to go on, but if anyone has any ideas I'd love to find Harvey again and perhaps have him rejoin my family! Thanks, David

Capt. Mike

He's baaaack! Much to the consternation of some, I imagine. Those that can't follow the site guidelines and don't post valid emails in their profiles.

I had a major computer failure February 12th. We had a power failure and, despite what's supposed to be a super surge-protector that includes the phone lines, my motherboard fried the section that connects the computer brains to the modems. Thus no Internet -- it wasn't the modem or phone lines.

We were in the dark ages. The computer was a Pentium 3 at 950 mHz. 512MB RAM, 21GB HD. And a variety of equally old accessoriess and software, all connected via dial-up. The Admiral's was 3 years older and our daughter was begining to lean on us pretty heavy for her own. Since it was the #1 that fried, replacing it and stepping the others down wasn't an option.

After much consternation, talking to IT "ejicated" folks, and looking through all the catalogs, we decided to bite the bullet and go whole-hog. I had two built. Mine is a monster. 3+ gHz dual everything; 2GB RAM, 2x500GB HD's, wireless keyboard, mouse, ethernet and modem to my new DSL service. Yup, I've gone high-speed Internet. I thought downloading Miss May took 10 minutes due to the size of her bumpers, but it was just my dial-up!

The Admiral has a slightly smaller machine but still well suited for her graphics works. I got a 24" wide-screen flat monitor; she stayed with the 21".

Daughter Dearest has a Dell XPS-140 laptop with more bells & whistles than I can figure out. I haven't seen her since it was delivered. Not because of homework, mind you. She and her sister (home from college for Spring Break) sit in the same room and instant message each other! Dueling computers has replaced dueling banjos.

Together, I could have bought a pretty fair used Westy or dropped a Porsche 911 engine in mine.

We're still working out bugs. I finally have my files transferred to the new one. I love those little USB2 flash sticks. 1GB on something half the size of a Bic. It'll probably be months before I get them all organized, culled and cleaned up. My Documents was getting more like My Dumpster.

Anyway, since I couldn't get to and keep up my log on Westy site moderating chores, I took a sabbatical. I was pleasantly surprised at the overall condition and number of folks that followed the guidelines. I got the forums cleaned up in only one day and there were only 7 that I sent the dreaded 'form letter' rejection to. I'd guess there were an equal number that didn't get anything because they won't post a valid email, but it's hard to have much sympathy for them. Still, that's a great ratio.

My ISP changed and I established a new email box strictly for the Westy site, westytech@bellsouth.net. I was receiving way too much spam on my old anyway. Please read Guideline #6 before any use -- I've canceled out the old Mindspring account. If you followed #4, you probably don't need me anyway.

I want to thank the many that pitched in with some good info and helped any stranded travelers. icarus especially. I'm beginning to feel "unneeded" and that's wonderful.

icarus

Capt. Mike,

Un-needed? huh! I was guessing you were down for a bit seeing the number of misposts. I had to bite my tonge a bit to keep from responding. Welcome back. I hope your tech problems sort themselfs out.

Keep up the good work,

Icarus

Capt. Mike

There is a post dated 3/18/06 in the "Disappearing Posts" topic of the JUST CONVERSATIONS forum that may interest members who have had posts diappear recently. It discusses some SPAM filters and how they reject site notices. You can also click on the "Disappearing Posts" link at the top of this and most index pages.

Capt. Mike

icon_biggrin.gif
Who needs grammar anyway, she's just an old lady! And I thought I was a bad speller.

I recently received an email from a Vice-President of one of the largest charity organizations in the world -- identity withheld to protect the illiterate. This is where your donation dollars (nearly $900 million of them last year) go. With a $46 mil budget for officers & staff, you'd think they could find one that can communicate in English -- at least from their US headquarters. Here's the fine spelling of a vice-President:

icon_redface.gif
Since each of our affalites operate as separte corporations the mamaement of services is controlled at the
affiaite level. I have forwarded your eamil to senior staff in NC and am sure someone will be in touch with you.

vanagons

Sorry to use the forum to post this, but I have a Stolen Bus Alert! From the SF, and Bay area.
Is this an appropriate place to post?
Thanks

tsmith5041

I've recently obtained a list of NHTSA Saftey Recalls concerning Vanagons. These showed up under a search for the model year 1987 but may apply to other years also. I would like to post the list for general information for all but unsure what topic to post under as they involve different systems. Capt. Mike, please advise if interested and, if so, where to post.

Capt. Mike

tomm: Let's try a new topic in TIPS. Label it "NHTSA recalls & bulletins." I'll then try to keep it strictly for posting the bulletins, not for discussions that arise. I may then put a guideline into your post to that effect. The bulletins are going to cover too many different subjects to be broken down. I've pulled info from that site in the past and they seem to just list them in some chronological order, not by topic.

stevej

Hi, I tried to send John an email but it seems his AOL account is not operational. My question is, how do I post an ad to sell my Westfalia on classifiedadz.com? I am registered, but can't find the place.
Steve Joy

Capt. Mike

Go to the Home Page. There is a menu on the left column; click on the <Classifieds> button. Follow their instructions for registration (the ads require separate registration).

I'll tell John about the AOL acct. I know it became disfunctional with spam; he probably needs to update some links. However, I note the <Contact Us> link at the bottom of the page is not an AOL acct.

Caeridwyn

Hey all. Does anyone know where I can get some Westfalia desktop wallpapers? I've searched and searched and have come up empty handed. I need em to be 1024x768. If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Capt. Mike

Any picture can be turned into a wallpaper. Put your favorite Westy picture into a graphics package and "save as" in .bmp format. Windows XP will handle .jpg also.

Capt. Mike

We had an interesting news event yesterday. Seems a truck dumped a load of what were called heavy duty roofing nails, but the TV shot shows they were in reality about #14 x 1¼" self-drilling hex-head screws for metal roofs. I-85 near from Burlington to Durham, one of the busiest sections 4 lanes wide. They say at the peak about 20 cars were lined up fixing flats in a driving rain, or awaiting service vehicles. Total flats now number over 100. Screws are worse than nails because they'll grip and turn themselves in rather than pop out.

But the cops & service vehicles responding to the calls also got flats. One cop limped into a service station with 6 in his tire. Many had multiple flats and from the pictures, a bunch of tires and a few rims were ruined.

They're trying to confirm a call-in tip as to who it might have been. Hope he's got insurance! I was through that section today and although they claimed to have it all cleaned up earlier, I noticed a crew and one of the tractor sweepers working it still.

captnbilly

Hi everyone, I'm just showing up here tho been ridin/wrenchen T2's 30+yrs. "Shazaam" is my '77 westy, tho sound, body nothin to write home bout, but my engine/trany/running gear gets TLC w/ temp/oil pressure/fuel pressure/CHT temp gauges, etc. Sort of noodling around this site and don't see introductions page so, well...here I am. Peace.

Capt. Mike

Guidelines link posted top & bottom of each index page. Strongly suggest #4. "Introductions . . ." topic in JUST CONVERSATIONS forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.