Lifting that poptop!

I

i.Dub

i cannot believe no one has tried to figure out replacing the springs in the legs of the pop top
if someone has a set of legs spare, i'd happily look into finding the right spring, i have borrowed a couple of westy's over the years some are easy to lift, some are not
it can only be the springs inside the legs, or the tension wire from them

rovingaway

Found new trick to working on hatch doors, pop tops, etc....

Get "cane tips" or "crutch tips" and apply them to a piece of doweling. That way you won't scar the paint as you are raising the pop top, or jamming the hatch as you change the struts. You can get "heavy rubber cane tips" at good Pharmacy's or Medical supply stores. Also, watch for old ones at thrift shops. :cool:

Benjaminperry

Found new trick to working on hatch doors, pop tops, etc....

Get "cane tips" or "crutch tips" and apply them to a piece of doweling. That way
car accessories you won't scar the paint as you are raising the pop top, or jamming the hatch as you change the struts. You can get "heavy rubber cane tips" at good Pharmacy's or Medical supply stores. Also, watch for old ones at thrift shops. :cool:

Hello your tricks will surely help others. Thanks for sharing it?

Last edited:

echo9

Go Westy has a add on that makes it much easier to raise the top. (Pop-Top Lift Assist Vanagon Westfalia)

Yukon_Girl

Our vanagon is no sweat to pop....but my in-laws have a 1992 and it's impossible to lift up! I have to disclose, however, that I am wimpy!

wanderer

Hi Yukon-Girl. You might want to venture over to www.thesamba.com. In the "search section", enter....pop top shock kit from Jackbombay.
Lots and lots of satisfied pop top owners comment on his "invention". Many vendors have copied and now sell his "idea".
Jack is a poster on Samba and can answer any and all questions you might have.

HGC101

I ordered a complete kit from "Jack Bombay Pop Top Shocks" for $80- which makes it possible to push up the top with one finger once it is unlatched. My wife loves it.