Intoductions -- new to site 2009 >. (No questions or other topics.)

longbeachdrew

Hello everyone

I've had my 81 westy for the last 5 years, it's my 5th transporter but my 1st camper. She runs well but has a few problems I hope to fix soon and get back out camping. This is by far the newest vw I have owned, I never thought I'd miss adjusting valves. I am looking forward to meeting others who own one of these "last of the aircooled-first of the vanagon " misfit campers with unique qualities and issues, Drew

chaadster

coming back into the fold

Hi All,

Chaad here from Ann Arbor, MI.

I'm ready to return to the Westy world! I've been away from these vans for awhile now, probably 13 years now, but life has changed and so I'm ready to get back into one.

My Westy history really starts with an '85 passenger van that I took to university with me for my sophomore year in '89/'90. My sister wound up wrecking that out in Chatham, ON, Canada, which provided me the opportunity to get my first Westy, an air-cooler '80. I drove it for a few months, but just couldn't get down with the miserly power, so I sold it and got an '84.

That Westy I had for several years, until she overheated on my girlfriend's sister one day in '95, IIRC. It was a great van, though, and we did many good, if expensive, miles. I'd actually planned to drive it to Peru, and did some cool mods to it including skid plates, heavy duty springs, custom steel wheels, trans cooler, and few other things. Never made the trip, though.

I was too broke at the time to get her back on the road, so she was replaced with a 4WD Toyota Van that, while no Westy, was a pretty fun ride. My point here, however, is not to detail my car history, so let me jump ahead to today.

Married, with a daughter that's almost three, and a fledgling wine importing and distributing business, I find myself wanting to take my daughter on trips, do some camping and kayaking, and have her enjoy the outdoors. Hard to imagine anything better suited than a Westy, right? Yeah, we could car-camp, but a) that's not half as cool, b) it's not half as much fun, and c) I am hitting 40 next year, so a little creature comfort doesn't sound too bad!

So I'm looking for a nicely sorted, fairly complete, watercooled Westy or Eurovan. I'm pretty handy mechanically, so looking after one of these aged vehicles won't be the burden it was, although I did a fair amount of work on mine and my friend's high-topper back in the day. Today, I'm just better equipped and more confident. Also, this won't be a daily driver, necessarily, so I think I'm in a good position to maintain one.

Hopefully I'll be hanging around the forums both during and after the search, to reacquaint myself with the vehicle and learn the state of the market these days. I hope to be a meaningful contributor to the community here.

Best wishes to all, and merry motoring!

Chaad

kcongra

Long time with Westy, new to Eurovan

Hi, Kristie from Vancouver, B.C. here. Husband and I have been Westy folks for 20+ years. Most of those years were in a 78 which I miss to this day, very short stint in a Vanagon and now we've just completed our first camping trip in a 1992 Eurovan. Now that David is retired we hope to get in a lot more camping and fishing trips. Have lots of Eurovan questions so you will see me in the tech forums for a while.

Kristie

New to Westy, Excited!

Hi, Allen here from Los Angeles California. just made a 1700 mile bicycle ride across Italy, France, and Spain, while camping fell in love with the Westy and want to start making weekend camping trips as soon as I can get one. LA is a killer if you don't get out into nature regularly. Nice to be here, looking forward to getting to know some of you.

dcketh

Hi, Dan from Ogden, Utah here. I have been (slowly) bringing a '71 weekender back from the dead and hope to have it on the road later this summer. When I was a teenager, my Dad and I used to take fishing trips (Penna. and NY in the '70s) in his '72 deluxe with a homemade bed arrangement. I'm meeting him in Jellystone the end of September and it would be really cool if we could tour the park in my bus. Guess I better get busy!!!

cee

hi

Hi...I am a new owner of a 1988 vanagon gl westfalia. Happy to be part of the site and find alot of the posts useful in troubleshooting or general improvents I can do to my van. THanks all.

eyesocket

Hi everybody,
I've browsed through this forum a few times in the past but never signed up so I thought I should finally get around to it.
I'm from BC, Canada and have a 78 Westy I've had for about a 1-1/2 years. Before that I had a 78 Riviera for about 5 years. I actually had them both for quite a while because I had a really hard time parting with the 1st bus. Amazing how attached you can get to these things.
Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and what a great site this is.

Fudge

Westy? Eurovan? VW? Audi?

Hey folks! Fudge, from Kingston, Ontario, Canada. Just recently gave up a three week vacation in Europe to purchase my first VW Camper van, and I'm pretty stoked. I bought a 1994 VW Westfalia/Eurovan. Still trying to figure out the name of it, as it has Westfalia on the manual and pop top, but says Eurovan on the back. I do know it's a VW, with an Audi engine. I'll have to do a little research, as this yr/model seems to be difficult to find information on.
Great to be here! Very much looking forward to my tour through the US!!

Beelzibus

Hi, I'm Beelzibus (not my real name) and despite being a serious VW petrolhead for over 20 years and owning a 62 15 window deluxe, and a 68 Variant, as well as many others over the years, I find myself registering as a newbie on Westfalia.org.
The reason? Well I've just bought, after some months of negotiating with the original owner, a 1987 Westfalia Syncro Vanagon GL. The real deal. Canadian spec, complete with AC and factory fitted Webasto night heater.
Obviously being one owner, I have the full history from new, and despite being a bit knocked about at present, with dents, and some seam rust, overall it's in pretty decent shape, Today it passed the UK MOT test for another year, and it drives really well. Your comments are welcome.
As found:
3673574320_2f8ef27cbd.jpg

3673575176_ba0680f7d6.jpg

And now 2 days after purchase:
3675599328_47d1400b8d.jpg

3675599128_30ac820b3f.jpg

Next I need to remove the auxiliary lamps from the front, recommission the propane tank and associated equipment, and start sorting out the body corrosion which thankfully is all cosmetic.

Hi I'm new to the forum. I've just purchase a '84 Westy 4spd in great shape for 223k. Runs like top with a 2.1 liter replacement engine from Boston Bob the previous owner installed 50k ago. This is my third Westy, had an '84 and '87 in the early '90s but I had wife at the time, she couldn't get a good night's sleep in them so... been tent trailering for awhile. Got rid of the trailer and wife and I'm back with a Westy and couldn't be happier for it.

I've got quite a list of minor mechanical repair/replacement issues to get through but the Westy is totally useable just needs some TLC. Mechanically the best part is it's dry, no leeks. So mostly I'm dealing with weatherstripping, speedo weirdness, propane tank repair/rehab, etc..

So I'm looking forward to roaming the forums and installing some upgrades. Long term, this is the vehicle I'll probably take to Mexico in a few years, after I get the baby "dialed in".

Gary aka gfresh :)

Last edited by a moderator:

kikiflinflon

My parents bought a new Westfalia in 1974 and enjoyed their retirement for 20 years with it. Now It's my turn and I'm off to find my first Westy. I'll be using this site to help guide me to the proper fit. So, hello from Canmore, Alberta and I look forward to the trials and joys of the VW van.
Cathy

gfresh

Introduction redux

Hi I'm new to the forum. I've just purchase a '84 Westy 4spd Wolfsburg edition in great shape for 223k. Runs like top with a 2.1 liter replacement engine from Boston Bob the previous owner installed 50k ago. This is my third Westy, had an '84 and '87 in the early '90s but I had wife at the time, she couldn't get a good night's sleep in them so... been tent trailering for awhile. Got rid of the trailer and wife and I'm back with a Westy and couldn't be happier for it.

I've got quite a list of minor mechanical repair/replacement issues to get through but the Westy is totally useable just needs some TLC. Mechanically the best part is it's dry, no leeks. So mostly I'm dealing with weatherstripping, speedo weirdness, propane tank repair/rehab, etc..

So I'm looking forward to roaming the forums and installing some upgrades. Long term, this is the vehicle I'll probably take to Mexico in a few years, after I get the baby "dialed in".

Gary aka gfresh

nintenDRU

Hello Westy fans!

I grew up camping with Westy's, my dad had 2 70's and 1 Vangaon maybe an 82' so I have very fond memories. I just recently convinced my wife to go camping and while doing so I saw a group of 3 parked, brought back memories. Now my wife likes camping and we are considering getting either a Vanagon or Eurovan. We are in no hurry so I am doing all kinds of looking around the web and thought I should join this forum to get some more info.
Wish me luck!!

Westbay

Hello from across the pond

Hello Westy fans,

Hoping to get my new (new to me) 1970 Westy delivered tomorrow (should have been today but the weather was too bad for the transport people to deliver, forecast is much better for tomorrow), its from your side of the world (sorry one less for you guys to buy :rolleyes:), been imported from California into Southampton docks (UK) about 2 weeks ago and i purchased it last week.

Only trouble now is that i wont be able to drive it and enjoy it for a few weeks as i need to spend some time changing the lighting to UK road legal spec, get it inspected and then registered in the UK, so cant use it on the roads until then.

We had a T25 (i think you call them Vanagon's) (Brick) which we sold last month to make way for a Bay.

Hope to gain plenty of useful info from the site

Cheers

Simon

westsail32

Picking up my first Westfalia

Hello Westies,

I just finalized a purchase of a 1985 Westfalia with 95,000 miles. The van is located in GA and I had the owner bring it to "The Autobahn Society" in Braselton, GA for an inspection. Van needs some new hoses and fuel lines due to dry rot. They will also do some front end work. All in all the van looks sound with very little rust issues, interior is almost perfect.

I'll be flying down to Atlanta around the 26th of August to finalize the purchase and begin my first voyage in the Westfalia as I head back home to Penobscot Bay, Maine. I will take about 4 days to make the trip home, stopping along the way and doing about 400 miles or less per day.

I've met some westy owners in my travels and they all seem to love their vans. I hope for some interesting trips over the next few years. I keep a sailboat down in VA so we plan to use the westy to go back and forth twice a year.

It's nice to see a network of people on this site that have such similar interest. I look forward to meeting some of you on the road and perhaps at westy gatherings.

Don

jo100

hello

Just wanted to introduce myself ..im brand new to the westie world just purchased 84 vanagon a month ago and so far lovin it..broke in ethel at doheny state beach this weekend..got some interesting looks from others but all and all a great experience ..lookin forward to getting to know more owners..and this site has already become my fav..great posts :)

LaBellaRosa

I'd like to buy a Westafalia

Owning a Westafalia has been a dream of mine for quite a while. I don't know much about buying cars, unfortuantly, and know I can find some useful information on this site :).

oliverc

Intro + interior questions

Hi, i am new to Camping - any answers to the following would be greatly appreciative:

We have just bought a 1986 T3/T25 Westfalia converted Transporter.

THANKS very much to everyone

Chris

:):)

Last edited by a moderator:

lapine403

New Westy

After weeks of scouring kijiji, we have finally found and bought one in a different province. We're in Alberta, it's in BC. It's an '82, and in much better shape than a lot of the ones around here (no rust - it must be the salty winter roads that rust up the bodies here). Engine was practically rebuilt 2 years ago, and babied since. We were hoping to find one with a conversion, but I guess that's something we can look into ourselves a few years down the road.

It looks mighty snappy - must go bra and new canvas pop-up shopping! It has the one window, but my husband is adamant about having side vents as well.:D

Attachments

• westy.jpg
    westy.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 5

Camperco

Hello from Camperco

Hi to all 23,000 of you! We've just joined last night, we're in Oxfordshire UK. We have a 1984 T3 (Vanagon) with Westfalia interior code P-27-S. It was supplied new to a customer in Germany but has USA stlye lights & emiisions equipment. The interior serial number is 00001. The engine is a 1.9 WBX with injection.

I'm hoping to learn some more about this van via this forum. If anyone can tell me where to look for Westfalia model information such as specifications and production numbers.

Thanks,

Angus

DENVERPETE13

I want in

Hello, my name is Pete. I live in Seattle w/ my wife & 4yr old son. I am very interested in purchasing a Westy so my son & I can take advantage of the beautiful country out here. Being a newbie, I am in the process of obtaining as much info that I can before I purchase a van.