Interior cleaning & preservative

johnandliz

I have just recently given the interior a nice cleaning, but the glare from the dash is piercing!
icon_cool.gif
I read about a 3M product but can't find the thread. I am just wondering what others do to keep the interior nice and clean, but not so BRIGHT!

Thanks

JD

Capt. Mike

3M's version of Armor-All is "Vinyl Cleaner & Restorer", P/N 051131. They have a new product out, "Premium Vinyl Protectant & Air Freshner" I only have a sample, so don't know it's product number. It has a deoderizer included.

If you are concerned with shine, consider Maquiar's #42. Although marketed as a "Rubber Bumper Protectant," it can be used on other vinyl & rubber products. It is it a cream and is rubbed in much like a leather conditioner, so doesn't leave that fake wet shine. I find it lasts longer and doesn't turn rubber brown with time like Armor-All does.

Ed Pullen

You might also try "Black Chrome" by turtle wax...it works wonders on lots of different black surfaces, including synthetic leathers and pvc and rubber trim. NEVER use Armorall on rubber or synthetic leathers - it actually accelerates the oxidative (ie, corrosion) process on these. However, it is unsurpassed for protection on hard plastics, eg, turn signal and tail light lenses.

riandadana

Armour All has a new product that is "Low Gloss" that works pretty well.. but the exciting thing to share is Simple Green's upholstery and carpet cleaner. It's biodegradable, non-aerosal, non-toxic and it worked FABULOUSLY! I couldn't believe it! We thought we may have to find new seats and carpets as they were so dirty from years of misuse, one bottle did both seats and 25% of the front carpet. Love your Mother and use green products!

mojo

I've always used STP Son of a Gun on the dash and the seats, galley, tables; works great, doesn't stink like Armor-All.

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt. Mike

There are numerous products for preserving plastics and vinyls. Some good, some bad. My personal opinion is the original Armor-All did more harm than good. Rubber & plastic often turned brown after a while.

I currently use 3M's silicone free vinyl cleaner and preservative when a spray product is called for. They have recently introduced a cream style that is also a deoderizer! I've used sample packs and they did fine.

Maguire's #40 spray is also good, but you might look at Maguires #42 which is for tires & rubber. It is a cream that you rub in and it does an excellent job on vinyl as well. No overspray and the rub-in features doesn't leave a fake wet look or a residue to attact dust.

Note: Maguiers makes several lines. The purple bottles are diluted junk for the discount chains. They also have a Gold line that, though good, is oriented more towards the yuppie botique market (and price). The good old beige bottles with the numbered product lines are still the best. You might have to go to the automotive paint & body supply stores to find it, though. Their products like cleaners, polishes, sealers and waxes are specifically oriented for particular paints and materials as well as particular application methods.

Last edited:

Capt. Mike

:( I regret to report Maguires has discontinued #42, the cream rubber & vinyl protectant. Figures. Every time somebody has a good product that works, the discontinue it. And have not come up with a reasonable substitute. They continue their spray #40. They also have some new products in their Yuppie lines but see the Maguires topic in Suppliers.

Last edited:

jpchef

Gummy dashboard and other interior parts

My 92 Eurovan dashboard and door frames have become sticky and gummy. Tried Armor All but it didn't help. Any suggestions to fix this problem will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

tpelloux

Hello,
I would recommend to try a steam cleaner. most of the time it works really well, and could be used for the seats upholstery as well.