Illustrated parts manual

JWPATE

Does anyone know if there is an actual parts manual or a CD type electronic parts listing available for the Vanagons? The dealer apparently can only get their VW proprietory on-line system.

R

RCB

Greetings JWPATE, Seems to me a poster from Canada was selling a CD which listed the parts and part numbers. If not here,try Go Westy's chat room. I have a few catalogs from Go Westy and Bus Depot and Bus Boys Inc.and they all have pretty good breakdowns of parts and part numbers.

JWPATE

Thanks for your interest,
I have not yet found that Canadian with a VW parts CD.
For my wife's Porsche I was able to obtain the factory Porsche Electronics parts Manual, and it is MOST helpful. Actually, my own experience working on cars, has been that a complete illustrated parts breakdown is usually more useful than any workshop manual. That applies to any machine, and does not detract from the workshop books. It is just that, given a illustrated breakdown, one can not only order parts more accurately, but also the illustration will in most cases point out the way to attack the repair job. You will find, I believe, that most repair manuals are written by fellows with clean fingernails. They are great books, but they also contain many examples of poor direction, resulting from lack of actual experience in the shop.
Still looking!
James

R

RCB

Greetings JWPATE, Log onto "Go Westys" site and then proceed to the classified section.The last time I saw it, I sent an E-mail to the person selling them and the price then was $35.00 and was to be paid for through PayPal.Other than that I dont know anything else about em...RCB

JWPATE

Seems like no members (1) know anything or (2) cannot be bothered to respond to the quest.
I really cannot be happy with owning any machine whitch the manufacturer bars me from basic part number information. In the case of our favorite cars, that is always the case though. Protect the dealer network, is understandbly more important than letting us owners in on the product names and numbers.

Still, I believe I have located it. A CD version of the factory parts fische. Not cheap, and not yet in my hands.......If it it works out I will try to remember to post the address. Doesn't seem to be an interest anyway though.........probably I may forget.
James

pascal giasson

The parts manual/software you are looking for is called ETKA. It is the actual software that VW uses. If you do a search on the Vanagon.com mailing list archives you should find out all about it and possible sources to obtain a copy.

Capt. Mike

JWPATE: Do you really think that "no members know anything" or "cannot be bothered to respond"? With all the information on this site, including some very heavy research into items that even the dealer network hasn't been able to compile? With an attitude like that, don't expect anyone to jump through hoops to do so for you.

I think the 2nd paragraph of the Guidelines pretty well explains our members' obligation, or rather the lack thereof, to answer posts. This site is PRIVATELY funded and none of us are paid for our work or responding. So nobody OWES you anything. How much have you contributed to the site's operating costs?

Regarding your 'parts manual wanted' request -- first, VW will supply their parts manuals in the only form they use, a CD that operates in a special system. You are free to buy one. When VW used microfiche, it was an unusual size that fit only certain readers. I bought a used one and a set of fiches for my models. VW is not witholding parts information -- they just aren't under any obligation to provide it in a format you desire at a price you are willing to pay. What would a set of parts manuals for a Vanagon cost? Porsche (which you reference) shop manuals run from $150 to over $2,000. Factory shop references are not cheap!

Printing hard copies from fiche is laborious and expensive. I'm neither inclined nor motivated. There are some reprints of the very old Type II's (Splitties) available for download, but there hasn't been sufficient demand or willingness to pay for someone to take on that task.

VW contracts out all of its service manuals and publications. Obviously, there has been insufficient demand for any of the sub-contractors to undertake that project. Bentley has done a complete consolidation of all the service, tech and repair publications into one CD. That alone is a major step from the printed supply formerly available -- for instance now including a way for you to get the obsolete and out-of-print Repair Manual Type 2 for '74-'79 Type IIs AND campers. Cars usually have to reach antique age (25+) PLUS be relatively popular before the independent restoration publications market decides demand justifies licensing & reprints. Licensing? Yeah, in case you weren't aware, the 1998 rewrite of copyright laws extended copyright -- which would include parts manuals -- to 70-120 years.

I DID make several calls, emails and inquiries amongst probable sources when I first saw your post. Although a machine & CD was no problem, the inquiries for book or fiche all came back negative so there was no reason to respond. In fact a "none found" respond might disuade others from looking so 'no response' was intentional for the good of the site.

So before you start trashing the members and the site, maybe you ought to look at the "Kudos" topic in JUST CONVERSATIONS. I think you'll find your opinion of us in the minority. Lots of luck on finding a Vanagon fiche or reprint.

JWPATE

Capt. Mike,
The VANAGON or any other automobile is a fun subject. The time spent is always fun, and a misunderstanding on the topic is never an acceptable excuse for nasty reactions.
I will attempt to address your questions, in order. But first, I will attach part of a previous posting, which can be found in the transmission section of this very forum..........."If you have read this far, then please also join me in wishing the very best Holiday Spirit to our very own Cap'n Mike. We all owe him a sincere salute. This is the finest information forum for our old vans in the world.....and the credit goes to our favorite Captain...Mike!!"
There is no lack of appreciation at this end, for what you and other members have contributed to the effort. I very much regret to have seemed so insensitive to the many hours and countless researching labors, which have made this site what it is.
With that fact clearly understood, yes; I most certainly do believe it possible that no other member has knowledge of, or interest in, the particular subject of parts manuals. How can that observation irritate anyone? By noting a lack of any response to the question, does not imply that I ever expected anyone to "jump through hoops", nor that I ever expected that any member of the forum "owed" me anything at all. It simply seems to me that this one, tiny subject, how to obtain an Illustrated Parts Manual, is either not generally known about, or is too low on the list to bother with. It still seems that way, at least to myself. No hate was ever intended; no hurt feelings were ever implied.
No suggestion was ever made that any member has any responsibility, at any time whatsoever, to respond to any question ever posted on this site! This is all about fun, not responsibilities!
With regard to the site's operating costs, and the question you asked; "How much have you contributed"? Well Mike, How much is expected, or needed? And why, pray tell, is this the first instance I have ever heard of an expectation that I owe a share of operating expenses? I suggest that this matter should be a condition of membership, and fully explained to each new member upon joining. To ask such a question to one you happen to differ with on a technical topic of discussion; well, bad show old man. Damn bad show!
The remainder of your posting simply misses the point. Yes, Mike, the difficulties of obtaintng a quality parts manual are acknowledged. I know the costs of quality manuals. I have paid it. That issue was the basis of the original question. The same situation is true in the case of Porsche. There I have the PET electronic parts manual.........and it is wonderful. The same is available for VW. You simply don't know of it Mike, and neither do I, yet. But I shall. When I have confirmed it, the source will be posted for the benefit of interested members.
Best regards,
James

JWPATE

OK, I received an illustrated parts listing for VW models (also includes Audi,Seat, and Skoda)on CD format. It loaded easily and works great on the first go. Hint - put your computer screen on highest definition to read the numbers easier.
Available from WWW.Classic-spares.net for the price of 13 English pounds including shipping.
James

Capt. Mike

ETOS:

I purchased a copy of the VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat CD from Classic Spares Network listed above.

At the time, I had a Pentium III running Windows ME. It loaded up, but would not work off the icons. I finally found I could start the program by going directly into the Program Files Folder and double-clicking ETOS.exe direct.

When I tried to load it into the new AMD 64 running Windows XP, I got a complete blank. It gave me error messages during loading and wouldn't activate.

I emailed owner Hamish and he was as helpful as could be but is not a computer/programming expert. He assured me he had copies running on Windows XP and sent me a fresh, tested CD gratis. Same results.

I had kept the old computer in my office and getting ETOS up & running on the new one wasn't highest priority. I still had my microfiche versions in the shop.

However, the Admiral has begun to hint heavily for me to clean out my office, so I tried again. (That's 'ordered' to all you bachelors.) I deleted all previous versions and reinstalled ETOS. I still got the same error messages on loading; I still got the inoperative desktop icon and the icon in the Programs menu. But this time I could get it running by going into the actual Program file folder and double-clicking on the ETOS file.

I went into the file properties and found it was ETOS.exe. All of the installed program icons were ETOS.ini. I copied the working link into the desktop and Programs Menu icon properties, and we now have ETOS up & running.

ETOS is a dealer program. It's meant to allow the dealer to make parts orders in its version of a 'shopping cart' like many Internet vendors. But it does NOT attempt to provide information beyond that which the dealer would use. This means the many parts that have been discontinued by VW have no description, part number or applicability. This is tough in that it doesn't allow you to have the part number as reference for aftermarket producers of reproductions, OEM vendors or the used market. If the part you click on is discontinued, you don't know if it is used on your particular year & version. I'm finding this frustrating trying to restore a 38 year-old Beetle. My fiche ends up being more help because it is so old that it doesn't pick up on the discontinued parts. This isn't a problem with most modern dealers; they use an even newer on-line system that lets them click on the part and find not only availability, but also any supersessions and stocking status.

It is interested to browse the many models never offered in the US and the greater clarity of diagrams (assuming large HiDef computer monitor) make it a worthwhile investment, especially if you don't have access to the older fiches.

I suppose now I'll have to order one for Mercedes so I can have this data for my wife's 18 year-old, 200,000 mile diesel. Mercedes sold the diagram book but with no numbers or descriptions. The CD a dealer gave me requires a proprietory system. I have posted two diagrams on the Tech Drawings link of the Vanagon jump seat so you can get an idea of the diagrams.

alantod

???? workshop manual

Hi Capt, I hope I am doing the right thing here I have a question that may be unique. I have an interior from a westy joker 81 left hand drive, I have a link to an accurate pic but cant post it. The van is a T 25 left hand import from germany to uk 84. I want to make sure I get the most accurate manual to help me fit the kitchen etc. The van itself has only had the pop top and back seat fitted but the rest is a virgin install, so I have a lot to sort with the electrics gas and plumbing.