I salute the Captain...

Status
Not open for further replies.

go_westy

Mike will be truely missed: his stiff and orderly management of westfalia.org will be difficult to duplicate if not impossible. He truely posessed the westfalia spirit as many before and many after will. The next time I'm out in my westie in that perfect spot I will say a prayer for the trusted captain. Best of luck to his family.

Jason Rolfe

I only joined the site recently, but from the first look it was obvious that Captiain Mike took great care with this community. I think it is rare to find a person so committed to a community of others. That the Captain would devote so much of his time and knowledge to this community--of which he probably knew personally only a handful of the members--is admirable. I think we would all do well to find something in our own lives to devote this kind of care and passion to. I didn't know him myself, but I do know that his knowledge and willingness to share that knowledge made my life simpler (by being able to fix some things myself) and richer (by being able to learn some new things and extend my own knowledge). He'll of course be missed--I hope we can all step in and fill the space left by his departure. And I hope his wife and family get the chance to see the many comments left on the site by members that testify to the Captains generosity and character.

Here's to the long road ahead, and a well-running Van to get you down it.

Jason Rolfe

JOHNWOLF

I am so sorry to hear about the passing of Captain Mike. I hadn't been to this site in a few months and was so shocked and saddened by the news. I really felt like I got to know Mike over the years. I've been a member of the westfalia. org community for exactly 10 years today. Mike has given me so much advice over the years in the maintenance of my vanagon and in many other areas as well. His knowledge was so diverse and he was always so happy to share his skills and experience. Even though we never met in person or even spoke on the phone we would exchange long emails every few months. We had lost spoke in late October and he had told be about his fight with cancer. He seemed to be doing well with the chemo and in high spirits. He was looking forward to hunting season. Here's a quote from one of our last correspondences, " I lost 35 lb. in the hospital and that has not come back. However . . . I’m bound and determined to be up a tree come hunting season. With my wife & daughter’s help, plus the farmer whose land I hunt on, we have feeders & stands up. Blackpowder opens up in that county the 30th. Gun season opened up here in my county Saturday and I took an 8-pointer”yard deer” on my land. Processed him yesterday, again with the wife’s help. Wore me out, but I’ve got a start on the freezer! He was a real fighter with a zest for life. Captain Mike, I will sorely miss your friendship and advice. Thank you for all that you have done for me and countless number of others in the Wesfalia.org community. I would also like to give my heartfelt condolences to Mike's family. May he rest in peace.

John Petrocone

screendoc

So sorry to hear about Mike's passing. Its been about 3 years since I sold my beloved "Trudel" an '89 Westie full camper and almost that long since I've been on this forum. I purchased Trudel in '03
after longing for a Westy since 1969 when I shared 3 month in Europe in one. I did a lot of research before purchasing Trudel and still found out how little I really knew until I found the Westfalia forum and the wisdom and sage of Mike and all the members. It was that wisdom that provided the glue that helped hold Trudel together on the 4 month cross America tour my son Jason took in '07 that kept him going. I have missed having Trudel these past 3 years, missed the comeradership of this forum, and will miss Mike. All the best to his family & friends here on the forum.
Peter

vw-traveller

In fond and greatful memory of capt mike.

I unfortunately never got meet Capt Mike persoanlly, but I've been using westfalia.org for almost a decade. In this time he and the organization he build has been so incredibly helpful. Without his help i don't know if my beloved '79 westy would be running as well as it is. During these years I saw how much work Capt. mike poured into selflessly helping other bus owners. In an effort to relive him of some of this work, i hunted trough the message boards, looking for unanswered questions, with which i could help out myself. Lets continue to support each other on the messageboards, keep this forum alive. I think this the best way to honor and remember mike for all of those who never had the pleasure in meeting him in person, but had plenty of communication online. And to pass on his memory to those who hadn't had the pleasure, and need his help in the future.

j8

It has been far too long since I've visited westfalia.org, so you can imagine the shock. I'm sorry to hear of Capt Mike's death and hope the best for his family. As a westy owner I've taken much benefit and advice from this site and from Capt Mike himself...and I'm grateful the Internet helped make this connection.

Yukon_Girl

I just came back to the website after a long absence away and forgetting my login name [DOH]. I am so sad to hear about Capt. Mike. **raises a glass** here's to you for all your help to those of us needing assistance. Thank you. You will be missed but forever in the archives, continuing to help others even once you are gone. What a legacy you leave behind.

otiswesty

Sad to hear this. Capt Mike was a great and dedicated resource for all us Westfalia owners. He helped me to get the info I needed to finish restoring my 1978 Westy and motivated me to eventually get a Vanagon Westfalia as well. His spirit and advice will live on in our various campers that are in part what they are due to his knowledge and expertise. He is a kindred soul for many of us and will be greatly missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.