Gauges (factory) and warning lights except Speedometer/Odometer

Gaia Miranda

Has to be poor connection. My 74 had same issue, opened istrument panel and cleaned connector to the instrument panel fuel gauge with a small piece of emery cloth. Problem resolved.

I have a 77 westy and our fuel gauge is also not working properly. We have had a new sender replaced in the fuel tank as the engine was recently dropped for repairs on our road trip. The mechanic said this was the problem and we were on our way. Unfortunately we had already driven 200 miles away from said mechanic and found that the fuel gauge still didn't work at the next fill up. We called him and he said the gauge is the problem. I tested the gauge and it is fine. The only thing left is the wiring. I can only follow the wires so far through the body and can't see where the wire connects to the tank. How can I check the wiring? Is there a place where I can access the wires inside the van or out or do I have to drop the engine again to get access?

RayBrown

On my 1990 California I have the two pin temperature sender (and a duff gauge). Doing test on the sender I found tat when it was in circuit and the probes were underwater, they gave off a steady stream of very small bubbles.... any ideas anyone? Is this always the case or did I have the wiring wrong or a duff sender?
Ray
(Take what you want.... then pay for it).

RayBrown

Agh! The sender I used is the water level sender, in the top of the filler tank. Have now replaced one of the two temp sender near the thermostat. The original gauge is duff, and the voltage regulator is ok.
My new gauge, on top of ht dash looks ok and works a treat. Maybe someone will start remaking the printed circuit.