Front seats & belts

Capt. Mike

Seat belts

fillus Junior Member

This may not be the proper site for information on seat belts, but I find no other discussion in any other category.

Yesterday when I attempted to put on my seat belt, it would not come out of the retractor. It is stuck and doesn't budge an inch. A couple of times lately, the seat belt locked up while I was wearing it, and I had to stop the car and pull it loose. Bentley's recommends only three solutions: clean the belt (can't get it out to do that), twisted webbing (not on part that I can see) and retractor or loop on B-pillar out of position. The latter problem I would not know how to correct. How does one correct that problem? I do not live close to my mechanic and feel very vulnerable without a seat belt so if there is an easy solution I can do at home, I would appreciate knowing the procedure. This vehicle, a 91 Westfalia, is my only means of transportation so need to fix the problem as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Capt. Mike

Removing the retractor module from the B pillar will also expose the back and let you have a slightly better look to see if you can find a jam or what is locking up retractor. You may also be able to clean & lubricate the mechanism -- I haven't had one off yet so am working on experience of similar units on other models. Spray silicone lubricant in moderation won't hurt the belt. FYI: Bolts for seatbelts are usually SAE sizes, not metric.

Last edited:
R

Reckless Amateur

Seat Belt Retracting

An earlier post asked a question I have for my '87: how to get the front seat belts to retract better? I didn't see any responses--but is the answer as simple as opening up the mechanism and cleaning and lubing with some silicone spray? The drivers side mechanism is kinda tucked into the cabinetry--any trick in getting to it? Thanks.

BritSurf

Armrest Repair for Captains Chair?

Hello Westies.. I just recently got my second Eurovan, 1999 GLS model. The armrests on the drivers captain chair are kinda broken.. Not really sure what is wrong yet. I was hoping to fix them somehow, but I can't really see how they come off! So before I get all heavy handed, I was hoping someone may have already performed this kind of surgery?! Can't believe I am the only one with wonky armrests..? Any advice or knowledge of the inner workings would be greatly recieved! Many thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Curtis

Remove Swivel Base/tracks to access & relace battery under driver seat

I am new and after spending an hour searching the forums was led here could not find the thread on how to R&R the seat base (has the swivel part and tracks) after sliding out seat. I saw Capt Mikes ref to this but can't find. I am new and not a great computer wiz-please help.
Thank you Bob bobsterncat@comcast.net

R

reemadexiva

Front seats belts

Im figuring this should be fairly easy but I thought Id ask anyway. I would like to remove my front seats so that I can re-paint the tracks. There is a lot of rust around the areas where the seats bolt to the floor and Id like to fix it. Anyone else having or had this issue? The driver side seat is power operated and I have the side airbags. I would assume I would need to disconnect the wiring under the seat and just unbolt the seats. Things Im thinking about How hard is it to separate the tracks from the seat once out of the vehicle? Do I need to use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts back down? Do we need to do anything special do disconnect or connect the airbags? Stuff like that...