Fresh water lines -- tank to sink

imported_JohnB

Transferred due to consolidate same topics.
Fresh water line replacement

Lemore Junior Member # 211 posted 08-09-2001 10:06 AM

I've been considering replacing the lines from my fresh tank to the sink. They are looking a little "funky" in places and I'm paranoid about that type of thing. I was thinking of attaching the new line to the old and simply pulling it through. Has anyone done this? Got any advice for me? Do you think it would work best to pull from the sink side or tank side? thanks,
pj

RichardBulis Member # 86 posted 08-15-2001 10:27 AM

I can tell you that the water lines in my '87 westy (as well as the '80 wreck I use at "pick'n'pull" as a study aid) are clamped to the bus frame behind the kitchen, about midway. [Here now let me admonish you for NOT FOLLOWING the site guidelines and telling us what YEAR your bus is, as I am sure the older pre-vanagon westies are all different. ]

The clamp MIGHT be loose enough by now to slide the hose out by tugging, but then it might hang up on whatever connector you work up to feed in the new length of hose. Such is my case and I am waiting until fall, when I pull my fridge and will have access to the clamp(s).

In the meantime, I've contemplated running an electrician's feed tape ( the thin, stiff but flexible stuff they use to pull wires through conduit) with some cotton swab on the end throught the hose to get the yucky black stuff out, much like cleaning a rifle barrel, I suppose. I'll post the results if I do.

imported_JohnB

Transferred to consolidate same topic.

I just bought my first westy a week ago it an 81' I am waiting to get the shop manual soon! But until then I was hoping someone would know what to do if you water tank leaks? my outside fill spout ineeds a key which I dont have, so i went through the interior cabinet to add water I added about 32 oz and to my dismay it came from under the floor board and out the sliding door!!! I looked through all the cabinetry and couldnt find a leak where could it be leaking from and how do I find the source???

imported_JohnB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Early models didn't have the submersible pump of the later ones so you could be leaking from the connection to the pump or the tank itself. The tank could have damage or a broken drain fitting. You'll have to get copies of the camper manual and the Bentley for removal instructions. Sources listed elsewhere on the site.

Zonetrap

I have an 1982 Westy Diesel. I am having trouble with the faucet. One, the knob was completely busted, so I took off the whole faucet (I'll get a new one). But as I looked at the water lines, the fresh water line looked a bit "rotten". It fell off the faucet fixture. From the Bentley manual it looks like it was held on with a clamp that you screw onto the faucet appliance.
Is there an easy way to repair this line?
Can another line be connected to it and extended?

The city line has the nut? That is what it looks like in the manual. That line looked good.
I havent even tried that line yet.

Also, how do you know the water pump is ok? Will it make a noise when I flip the water pump switch? Mine is the submersible type.

Thanks in advance.
Z

Capt. Mike

The tank line is held on with a normal VW 'crimp' style hose clamp. Although you can replace with any standard hose clamp, I suggest you NOT use the ones with the slots in the band -- they damage the hose. If you have damage or rot, it is probably you have that all along the line, even if not visible. Thus I'd suggest replacing the whole line instead of just the end. However, there is already one "Splice" in the line, what I presume is the check valve to prevent the line from draining back into the tank.

The city line is higher pressure so has the flare-style fitting with the nut.

Your other questions belone in their appropriate topics; please see site Guidelines.

bobagon

After fixing a broken faucet I now want to replace the fresh water lines. Looking at the water tank (Bently page 76.19 - or in the Westy)there are two; one to the faucet, the second looks to be a vent, The questions are; can any type of tygon tubing be used (at parts store) or do you "need" food grade tygon? Second, where is the exit point of the vent line?
Thanks in advance.

Capt. Mike

The tank vents to the tiny hole in the outside 'fill box' just above the inlet.

Presuming disinfecting before use, the standard clear vinyl tubing should suffice. Avoid lined hoses or hoses treated to protect against chemicals, such as vacuum or fuel.

bobagon

Thanks Capt. Mike. I'll go to th local Canadian Tire and get standard water grade tygon and will treat it with some dilute bleach and rinse with water befoire installing.

bonser

We also have a '81 Westy with the same leakage problem as the 11 October 2001 post which developed after finding a great BLM campground near Barstow which was at the end of a washboard road. We have the Bentley and understand they say to dismantle about everything to get to the water lines. We'd like to know if the member in Montreal, or anyone else for that matter, has actually done this process to successfully fix the water draining under the floorboard and out the sliding door.

Capt. Mike

Transferred during reorganization of topic.

newrider Junior Member Posted August 22, 2004 11:22 AM

Help. I just bought my first Westy, had it shipped to me in Cleveland from Utah. It is great, but I discovered it came to me with a 1/2 tank of water from ?? and I've got visible mold in the tygon lines. I can disinfect it, thanks to the info on this website. however, any advise on removing the black stuff in the lines? will it go away if the clorox or disinfectant works?? please advise.

judlandis Super Member Posted August 22, 2004 01:18 PM

Tygon lines????

-judlandis

newrider Junior Member Posted August 25, 2004 08:48 AM

Sorry. There is a clear plastic line line that runs from the tank to the underside of the faucet. this is what I call tygon tubing. I can see a black contamination in the line. Like specks of mold or dirt. I was wondering how difficult or easy it is to pull it out and clean or replace. Should I worry the tank? or is the disifection thing good enough?