Florida

Gobusgo

In May of 1999, my wife and I in our '79 Westy named "Sweetpea" and another couple from Cedartown,GA, in their '70 Westy, took a trip from our home town of Chattanooga, TN to Key West, FL. Well, we almost did. My friend's bus broke down at the toll gate to Alligator Alley, the main highway across the Everglades. I towed him to a motel less than a mile away and found out that his distributor clamp was loose and wouldn't hold the dizzy down in it's slot. My wife and I decided the next day to leave the following morning to go on to Bahia Honda State Park, on Bahia Honda Key, just after the 7-mile bridge. We had camped there twice before (once, on our honeymoon, before we had our Westy,it was sooo hot that we ended up getting a motel for the same price as a campsite) and since then, hurricanes had totally changed the beach at the campsites. But the sunrises and sunsets were still the same, beautiful! Meanwhile, our friends were back at Naples, waiting for the local VW guru to fix his Westy. They finally took their rented car and joined us to visit Key West for shopping and walking the streets. My wife and I had already decided that the vacation was "not the same" without our friends and the bugs were not letting up with their biting, so we cancelled our last two days, got our money back, and joined them back at Naples for another two days. On our way back up to Naples, the mechanic called my friend on his cell phone to say the bus was ready. So for $79, he got back on the road, only too late to make it to the Keys in his bus. And I can't say that Sweetpea made it to Key West either, because we went in the air-conditioned rental. Oh well, we made it home without any problems and we found out that we did enjoy ourselves, in spite of the many changes in plans.
GoBusGo!

[This message has been edited by Gobusgo (edited 05-29-2000).]

[ 07-08-2001: Message edited by: Capt. Mike ]

jonc

Do you have that Naples' Guru's Phone #... Guru's are thin on the ground in South florida... I have my Van serviced in Vermont... I live on Pine Island Florida... Near Fort Myers...

Thanks in Advance

Gobusgo

This guy was very nice and seemed to be very knowledgable in VW's. He had several personal projects in his shop, and well over 10 customer jobs in and outside his shop. He was very busy, yet took time to talk VWs. I don't have his name, but I have his #. It is (941) 591-8890. Hope this helps.
cool.gif

deadhead88

three weeks ago my mother, myself and a friend took a trip to south florida in my 76 bus. i must say the trip was great and the scenery was beautiful. over all the drive wasnt bad. my advice is roll down all the windows and crank up your radio.