Flooring, non-Westy

roxannelamorte

Hello! We've had our 99 Eurovan for two months, after buying it certified pre-owned from a dealer. We noticed Mushrooms growing out of the floor, behind the driver side and next to the tables. At first we thought it was kind of funny, and cleaned them up. But then they came back again. My husband unscrewed the table mounts and checked underneath. It turns out that the wooden floor under the plastic is completely rotted, and upon closer inspection, spongy from the rear seat to the front seat.

Should we be worried about further effects, other than mushrooms? can we replace the wood floor? Any ideas where to buy such a thing? I wonder if the dealer is responsible.

Any responses are really appreciated.

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt. Mike

Mushrooms are a fungus; your floor has been flooded AND exposed to the spores. For a 3 year-old to have rotted flooring and that degree of fungus, I'd be suspicious that you have bought a flood-damaged car. Yes, take it back to the dealer and have it traced as to flood & other major damage as is now required by most states. Check if it has been flood-totaled by insurance, or is a Lemon Law reject. Contact your state's Attorney General as to how to find out & proceed. And contact VW corporate!

That the wood has rotted indicates it was wet and left wet. The flooring can be replaced, and since this is a new vehicle, parts are available from the dealer network. The interior should be gutted down to the bare metal inner floor, completely cleaned, disinfected and all new flooring installed. Repair any rust or damage found.

That you have one fungus, assume you have others and mold. Some molds are toxic. The tight interior of a Eurovan could cause health problems.

DGHEP

soft and spongy floor/wet chipboard under vinyl flooring

I have the same problem in my '97 Eurovan. It appears that I have a leak that has seeped into the chipboard flooring. I had mushrooms too. From the Go Westy site I note that there are problems with the Eurovan roof leaking via cracks in a silicone mass at the front of the pop top - but am not sure if this is where my leak is coming from. I am sure there are others who have had this problem. It now looks like I will have to dismantel the interior of my van and replace the flooring - not a fun job. I would love to hear of any others who have had to do this. How do I replace the vinyl covering?

DGHEP

Replacing Eurovan floor

As the result of a leak in the roof of my '97 Eurovan that soaked into the chipboard flooring and ruined it (mushy with mushrooms), I had to replace it. It was a huge job. The moral of the story is make sure the silicone plug (another Winnebago design flaw) on the roof is maintained with caulking -esp if you live in a wet climate. The leaking is often not noticeable until the damage is done!

To replace the flooring, you have to remove most of the interior of the van. You have to remove the cabinetry (which involves disconnecting plumbing for water and propane, and the electrical system for the frig, sink, etc.), the back seat, the battery and the box that holds it as well as some of the panelling, and the ducting from the furnace. The cabinetry comes out in one big piece that is rather awkward to move out of the van. To do this I had to partially dismantle the roof over the back of the van to make a bit more room.

Then you have to remove a number of bolts that go through the floor to the underside of the van - a bit challenging. The flooring is a chipboard that has been cut to fit. Somehow Winnebago found this chipboard in sheets that were about 10' in length. I used 5/8" plywood to replace the floor but could only find it in 8' lengths so had to use a separate piece to make up the length - I placed the seam behind the backseat - this worked well. I then used the old floor as a template, with a lot of measuring and hoping, and cut the plywood to fit. Aligning the bolt holes in the plywood to match the holes in the van floor was challenging.

I then bought deck vinyl at Home Depot that appears to be the same material that Winnebago used - identical color and pattern. I then cut it to shape and glued it to the plywood as per the directions that come with the vinyl flooring. The glue is toxic and rather smelly - two months later my van still smells of it, but it is slowly disipatting. This was difficult to do because of the shape of the floor with all the cut outs along the side - I had to stretch the vinyl to fit - then stapled it to the underside. The orignial flooring also has a thin layer of plastic foam on the underside between the wood and the van floor. I purchased that at a local plastic shop, cut it to fit and stapled it to the underside of the plywood. I then cut open the bolt holes and let the glue dry for a few days.

I got lucky and the new flooring fit quite well with only minor adjustments needed. I then bolted and screwed the new flooring down following how the original floor was attached. Then you get to put everything back together again. Use labels, bags and notes so you remember how it all goes back together again.

It was a lot of work but it turned out fine and looks like the original floor.

Capt. Mike

That sounds like an excellent job done the way all Westy/Winnie repairs & restorations should be done. Congratulations & thanks for sharing it with us.

JOHNWOLF

Wet floors in my VW Vanagon Westy

First off hopefully I am in the correct forum. I assume the floors are the same whether you have a Westy or not. My van is a 1987 Westy. I am getting water under the mat on the drivers side and in the little well where you can step to get in or out of the van. The water in the step is on both the driver side and passenger side. The water is coming in when it rains but I can not seem to figure out how the water is getting inside. This happens when the van is just sitting park, unfortunately I do not have a garage. Anyway, the windows are closed, I am not missing any seals or weather stripping as far as I can tell. I don't see any wettness on the inside of the doors, dash, or in the back of the van that would indicate that water was running or seeping from another place. Does anyone have an idea of how I can determine where the water is entering the van? I am at a loss. Thanks!!