Filling Propane Tank

White Pearl

How full is my propane tank?

Has anyone figured out how to measure the amount of propane in the propane tank? While running the propane fridge, and cooking on a cross-country trek, I was never quite sure when I needed to refill the tank. I ran out a few times and even though I switched to 12Volt, our food spoiled in the heat. Conventional BBQ tank measurements go by weight, which obviously does not work, on a vehicle.

I also had trouble with a sticky fill valve, which has caused some LP fill guys believe the tank is full even though I know it is not.

bjsiemens

1985 Westfalia propane tank

I have a 1985 VW Westfalia purchased in Canada. I recently tried to have my tank refilled only to be refused because they couldn't turn the bleed value. I'm admittedly a bit naive on these matters but back at home I could turn the value about 1/4 turn with vice grip (I assume that to open the bleed you turn counter clock-wise). Previously the propane fillers didn't care if they couldn't turn the bleed value because they made comments that is was probably an automatic pressure release value. Do I have a problem and if I do what can I do to solve it?

thanks,