Fans for cabin

chris_hinkle

Anyone know of a good fan to mount on the dash for front cabin comfort? My prefernce would be to permanently mount and wire one. I've seen a few on the JC Whitney and Camping World sites and would appreciate feedback from anone who has bought one.

Thanks,

Chris
'87 Westy Tiico

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt. Mike

There are pictures of Hella fresh-air fans on the tech drawings link on the home page. There is detailed discussion of them in the HEAT & A/C forum under "A/C performance problems . . ." topic. They can help A/C circulation.

Most of the oscillating fans like in Camper World are for the big RVs and too large for the Weaty. By the time you get down to a manageable size, you might be better off with the squirrel-cage models.

For a source, see the SUPPLIERS form, "Auto Sports Gallery" topic. I don't recommend JC Witless to anyone; have you looked at their shipping charges?

One think I would consider is, if you use something like the Hella that can be directed onto the windshield, is a defroster version. The Vanagon defroster is marginal (since it always mixes in outside air) and campers tend get a lot of condensation on the windshield in cold weather. Thus any boost to the defroster would be welcome.

Attachments

• VW interior 2 shots.jpg
    VW interior 2 shots.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

winefood

I have been auditioning fans for my Westy. The first was from a generic supplier. That one was very wimpy; all plastic, with a spastic motion.
The second I got from an RV store. Its all metal, heavy duty and sounds like a buzz saw.

How are those Hella fans? Are they noisy or quiet? How good a job do they do cooling people?Also, I looked at the pics of Captain's dash fans and noted there are 2. There must be a very good reason. Is it to discourage the occupants of the front cabin to not fight over who gets the fan pointed at them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt. Mike

My Hellas are acceptably quiet. They are a squirrel cage design so have a hum. The pitch is slightly different but overall dB level at maximum seems to be about the same as 2nd speed on the regular heater fans. Below the A/C fan noise. At the medium speeds I use, which is mostly just to keep the front cabin air in circulation, they are even quieter and barely heard above the VW's normal din. :)

Last edited:

winefood

Thank you for your reply regarding Hella fans. I continued to audition fans available locally and chose the best out of 6 different models. Amazingly the quietest and most powerful was also the least expensive. It outperformed everything between $12.00 and $28.00. I bought a single speed oscilating fan from Walmart on sale for just $9.96. I got three, one for the kids in the back and two for the adults in the front.

It sounds like the Hella is still a better product, but since we are going on vacation next week, I am going to give these a try for cooling only- sans A.C.

Thanks again for your help Captain!

frito

Caframo 747dc is a really nice little dc fan. It is sans grill and looks like the nose of an airplane. The blades are soft and safe. Two best things are that it moves gobs of air and requires meager amounts of power to run. www.caframo.com. I have used one for two years, I picked it up at West Marine.