Factory shop publications -- Bentley Publishing

Capt. Mike

I just got a nice kick in the teeth from Bentley. Mom bought a new 2003 Jetta TDI. I went to order the shop manual and they don't have one. It's 3 months from the 2004 models and they still don't have a 2003 manual! Their argument -- you can buy it on the CD VW supplies its dealers. So I guess we're supposed to carry a computer and power supply in the trunk when we go on a trip. I have a computer, but it's not in my shop; Mom doesn't even have one.

Of course the profit margin is higher on the CD -- they cost a couple bucks to manufacture vs. the printing costs of a book. Yet they charge 20% more! Apparently having current editions for the owner and smaller shop isn't high on their priority.

I asked if they would provide the supplement or update pages if I bought a 2002 manual and it was "No." I must buy a new manual, which they would 'discount'. But they aren't discounting the obsolete manual.

:(VW, are you listening?

Last edited:

uktim

some of you have said that it is endorsed by vw, do you mean the german manufacturers or the usa retailers?

also is the bookstore on this site owned by westfalia.org? or just a link to amazon. i only ask becuase amazon.co.uk say it is out of print & i would like a copy, especially for 70 us$

Capt. Mike

The Bentley, as we call the "Official Repair Manual" is a VW publication. It's not 'approved' by VW, it's actually written by them. Bentley is the subcontract publishing company that handles printing and distribution from '63 models on.

The bookstore on this site is just a link to Amazon.com, where members get a substantial discount and the site gets credit for the sale and a miniscule contribution to site expenses from Amazon.com. Don't accept their "out of print" as gospel until you've checked with VW and Bentley direct. They are pretty loose with "out of print" labeling of books they are just out of stock of or have on back-order awaiting a fresh run.

Since you didn't give your model & year (Guideline #3), we don't know which, but there they are also available on CD. There are numerous other vendors listed in the PARTS & SUPPLIERS forums. Plus, it's an official VW part, therefore should be available through your dealer. There are also posts dealing with sources of used & obsolete manuals (see "Hemmings" topic).

uktim

thanks mike, i have ordered the book from amazon .com, in the usa, through your link. i have only had to pay 8 dollars postage. i look forward to reading it and hopefully fixing my van with it's help. it is a 1980 2.0l aircooled wesfalia that i went to munich in germany to buy.

Capt. Mike

Bentley is now reprinting the original Workshop Manual Volkswagon Transporter 1950-1962. With the previously announced 1963-1967 editions, this makes factory coverage of all Splitties complete. It should be availabe from the same sources as the other Bentleys. I know Wolfsburg West carries it. They also carry a reprint of a UK manual for 1955-1967.

Capt. Mike

German Import

bobapp

I live in the north of England and have just imported a '97 California Coach. It's in fantastic unused condition with all the manuals and service records in German. Me being English have no idea what they say so can anyone tell me how to turn everthing on and off ? Can I get English editions for this model in the UK ? Thanks bobapp

Capt. Mike

This site does not support 'where can I get' posts. See Guideline #8 and discuss with your dealer what English manuals might be available, what he can order from Germany (Yes, they have inquiry and special order capabilities!) and contact the many vendors listed on this site under PARTS & SUPPLIERS forums. You will probably find much of the equipment is used on other models, including those imported into England.

bobapp

sorry mike, was hoping someone out there would read my message and say "you press this button or that button" you know "being sociable" Of course I can contact a VW dealer. whats your problem isn't a T4 classic enough for your club?

Capt. Mike

Perhaps I wasn't clear. You asked if an English manual was available for your model. A dealer is is the one person that can quickly find out -- either through the VW parts fiche or simply by calling (actually, computer inquiry now) Germany to see if one was made and still available.

Second, you haven't told us the type, manufacturer and model numbers of the camper equipment you have installed, or which equipment you are having a problem with, so it would be pointless for other members to tell you what works on ours if they don't match. But you can get manuals for models sold in English speaking countries, or manuals for other models that may use the same equipment, by contacting the various vendors that specialize in reproduction or out-of-print manuals. For example, VW may have used the same LP supplier for T4's as Vanagons and Type IIs. Then you can look for similarities. And finally, with the manufacturer and model number of the equipment, you can go to the original manufacturer or other specializing vendors, such as RV Mobile for LP equipment.

It isn't a question of vehicle age for help on this site, but the older models eventually experience problems as they age, so are more likely to have persons with similar experience. There is also a much larger knowledge base since many more were sold and owners of older cars are more likely to be doing their own repairs instead of using shops. Obviously, if a member has an English manual for your model and is willing to share, he'll contact you since you do have your email available in your public profile.

Last edited:

Moldrik

Questions about service/repair manuals

I found two different service/repair guides for Westys on Amazon. One of them is not linked from Westfalia.org can you guys let me know which one you recommend?

I'm wanting to buy a westy but I want to buy a service/repair manual first to have a better understanding at all of the components that I am looking at as well as having a point of reference.

I can't post links since I have less than 30 posts, but these are the names of the manuals that I found. The second one is mentioned in westfalia.org but the first one isn't. The reason why I'm asking this is because the second manual (which is recommended here) didn't seem to get great reviews on amazon.

First:
1980-91 VOLKSWAGEN VANAGON Body, Chassis & Electrical Service Manual

Second:
Volkswagen Vanagon Official Factory Repair Manual 1980-1991 Including Diesel Syncro and Camper (Paperback)

[Moderator Note: What year (Guideline #3)? :( Your email is blocked (Guideline #10) so you can't be notified by moderators when a post is cut/moved/edited. The Bentley factory shop manual is required to use this site (Guideline #2). Both of the books you have described are the same -- just mislabeled by those particular Amazon.com posters. The official title for North American VANAGONS, 1980-1991, is Vanagon Offical Factory Repair Manual (the 2nd one you list) VWoA P/N LPV 800 147. There are separate publications for Splitties (1963-1967), Bay Windows (1968-1979) and Eurovans (1992-2003). While doing your research, you will find copies at most major libraries, then later buy the one that applies to the vehicle you purchase. Factory shop manuals can be expensive so this would avoid duplication. Be aware that the later editions include updates and revisions for earlier models, so always purchase the latest available. These publications are still available from VW. Site reviews are often subject to amateur expectations that differ from the publisher's purpose. Factory shop manuals assume you have a reasonable knowledge of automotive basics and proper tools. The Bentleys are NOT "Upfixen der VW for dummkopfs :rolleyes:" but are the best resource for major overhauls & repairs and have all of the appropriate specs, wiring diagrams, wear limits & torque values.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Moldrik

Thanks for the update Capt. Mike and sorry for the guideline faults. I'm going to order the manual today so that I can start taking a deeper look into the different elements that make up the Van.

I'm hoping to purchase one soon so I can start working on it.