Factory shop publications -- Bentley Publishing

tanjay

I would like to purchase a manual (manuals) for my 92 Euro CV. Is the Bentley the best one to get? Is it a 2 volume issue?

Thanks
Jay

Moderator Note: This is the correct forum to discuss the Bentley publications themselves and Bentley Publishing as a vendor. Comments on obtaining the Bentley from other vendors belong on that vendor's topic.

Capt. Mike

Yes; available from the site's bookstore link, site sponsor GoWesty and your VW dealer. Suggest you note the Message Forum Guidelines, #2.

You will find others' experiences on ordering their Bentley under PARTS, "Bus Depot" /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif & this formum under "Site Bookstore . . ." /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The latest edition for 1992-1999 models is a 2-volume set. Hope you have lots of free evenings to read it! You will be amazed at how much you learn about using & maintaining your camper BEFORE you need it!

Bentley has a web site, www.rb.com. They also have a number of other publications, including many original owners manuals and some camper supplements.

Last edited:

Capt. Mike

Workshop Manual -- Volkswagen Transporter 1963-1967

This book is reprinted by Bentley after being out of print for over 20 years. It is the original and a delight to read, besides being the best I've seen for that era of Type II's, the old Split Windows. I particularly enjoy the old photos of the mechanics in their smocks, and everything is done using the tools of that era, before there was a special tool for everything!

Unfortunately, it doesn't cover the earliest models from the 50's & early 60's, but would be a valuable guide for those owners as well, since many items did not change. It covers the 1200 & 1500cc engines. 918 pages & 1,450 illustration & diagrams.

Last edited:

Capt. Mike

Repair Manual Type 2

Not technically a Bentley since it was published for VW direct, this 1978 shop manual, VW P/N W42-028-120-1, was meant to supplement the original Bentley in a more shop oriented format. It is the first to use the modern Bentley format and covers the 1.8 & 2.0 liter models from 1974. Although it cuts off with the 1978 models, it's applicable for the '79 since there were only minor cosmetic changes for the last year of production.

It's forte is that it contains a large section on the camper body, equipment & wiring diagrams, as well as a supplemental section that describes, troubleshoots and guides repair to the BA6 auxiliary heater.

Out of print, I've suggested Bentley reprint it. Perhaps if enough interest is shown, they'll do so, so you might write them as well www.rb.com or email them at sales@rb.com .

In the meantime, you might scour the used automotive publications dealers -- it's well worth it for owners of the Type II's. A place to start looking might be Hemmings Motor News, which caters to the antique car market and has a huge section devoted to used publication dealers. Availabe at most major newstands. See post under SUPPLIERS.

Capt. Mike

I'd sure hit the site bookstore first for a bit of a discount on Bentley manuals, but it and other VW publications are available from Dyment. They are VW's official publications distributor. Their number is 1-800-544-8021.

Among their offerings is the technical bulletins issued by VW, in model years. You can also order individual bulletins applicable to just your vehicle. They handle other manufacturer's as well so ask for their VW catalog or listings.

dajabr

Ok guys, forgive the blasphemy here. I have worked with various manuals for various vehicles and I have always been wary of purchasing without having a look inside. I have been trying to find a copy of the venerated Bentley manual for my 84 westy to do just this, but with little success.

My concern is that it covers all vanagon years 1980-1991, both syncro and westy, as well as deisel. A buyers' comment on the Amazon.com ordering says that it does not cover pre -85 models very well. I once ordered such a "broad", and widely approved manual for my 4runner that had demo pictures from a model that was completely different, genralized instructions that were broad to cover all models (which would make sense given the range of years covered) but subsequently vague enough about any specific year, that specifics were unclear and could not be clarified. Also, I am very interested in getting the manual on Cd-rom as well as paper, (have laptop, will travel!) has anybody checked out the cd version?

I usually do my own work except major mechanical.

So... Will Bentley be specific enough that there will be no ommissions about my '84? ...Or... is it that all these years really, truly share anough in common that covering 1980-1991 together is actually feasable?

I am about to attempt to bring my fridge and stove back to life, as well as get into the dashboard so please feel free to volunteer any comments...

Last edited by a moderator:

ben

Good day dajabr,
The Bentley covers all years, each section (Engine, transmission, electical...)is divided in(at least) 4/5 section; 1)-Air cooled (80-83), 2)-Diesel, 3)- Digijet 1.9L (83½-85/yours), Digifan 2.1L (86-91). (sometimes Syncro 4x4)
The book is thick and cover all aspect of the van deeply (sometime to much for the average amateur mechanic), what i dislike about it is that they are summary about some basic maintenance stuff, as a example: valve adjustment is not cover as a Hayne book would do (step by step picture), it is mostly text.
This book was meant for professional mechanic and it shows.
But overall the book does a good job and it is the only one you can buy!!! It is a MUST, believe me.
As a conclusion, i think the book cover all years and model equally.

dajabr

Thanks for the re-recommendation Ben, was worried Capt. Mike might flame me for neither reading the rules nor having my book. (Reminds me of college...)

Ordered the bentley via the westfalia.org link, and it did show up in the url. Also got a coupon from www.couponmountain.com and saved $10. That's $10 more I can put into the gas tank. Pass it on. D!

Moderator Note: No, but if all you want is a preview, Capt. Mike would suggest you call your local library and see if they have one. UNC, NCSU and several local libraries had several! However, Westy owners are not snobs and most will have one and be glad to let you browse. Requires asking!

dajabr

Now that I have the book and have had a chance to flip through it, the gamble of buying it unseen has paid off. I avoid Hanes and sometime Chilton manuals because they genralize to the point that simple yet critical facts are ommitted. Sometimes a medially skilled mechanic such as me can figure it out, but sometimes you can tell you don't want to risk breaking something unfamiliar and potentially expensive. The Bentley is very specific, and does have a listing of almost all differences between the models. The only miniscule detail I have found missing is any mention that the westy window has 3 panes and the Vanagon has 2, although this is clearly visible on the front cover. Assuming the detailed diagram of the sliding window mounting applies to both, it shouldn't matter anyway. So, I will add my praise and enthusiastic recommendation to the list.

Get your Bentley! :D

Capt. Mike

Transferred to consolidate same topic.

Bentley shop manual

Shaun Runkel Junior Member # 2917 posted 12-13-2001 09:26 PM

What is the Bentley shop manual?

Capt. Mike

Please read the Message Board Guidelines, #2. The "Bentley," as commonly referred to, is the offical VW shop manual. Usually titled Official Factory Repair Manual or Official Service Manual, depending on year & model.

VW contracts out publication of their shop manuals to Bentley, thus the name, but contents are 100% VW origin. Since they are official VW publications, right down to VW part numbers, they are available through dealers. But you may also get them through some aftermarket sources such as this site's bookstore link.

Few of us will answer questions for members that do not have the Bentley and many answers will only reference a particular section or procedure. Thus the requirement to use the site. There are cheaper unapproved aftermarket manuals and you get what you pay for. That's not to discount their value, as they often give some step-by-step procedures Bentley assumes you know, but most of us consider them a supplement, not a replacement. We have found numerous errors.

When purchasing your Bentley, do understand that the one for your model was upgraded every year through the end of production. Even though you may reasonably use an edition that covers your year but not subsequent years, I recommend you purchase the latest of the series if buying new as it may contain updates and tech supplements not in the original for your year. If you buy a used that only goes to your year, be sure and get the tech bulletins applicable to your model from Dyment (info posted elsewhere this forum).

Capt. Mike

I've been told by Bentley that they are working on a CD version of the obsolete Repair Manual -- Type 2. No release date or other info but that's a major step.

I would think a CD version to make the most sense because the 'per copy' cost is cents, not dollars, and they don't need a minimum production run or massive print set-ups. I'd love one.

I'm already trying to figure out how I can justify a dealer reader for a parts CD. (They are a proprietory format that can't be read in a regular reader.) Wouldn't it be nice if Bentley or others put them in a format we could use on our PC's. I'd sure spring for a shop PC to read them!

Capt. Mike

VW manuals on CD-ROM.

I've received the following for Bentley, publishers of the VW shop manuals and other publications. I had suggested they reissue the old Service Manual Type 2 as it contained a far more comprehensive section on the '74-'79 Westies, camping equipment and the factory auxiliary heater. They responded at that time they were working on putting it on CD-ROM. It appears they have finally done so, but included in a more comprehensive air-cooled shop manual collection.

quote: We do now have available VW and Audi factory service microfiche on CD-ROM for the 1969-1979 air-cooled models, including Types I, II, III, IV, 181, incl. gas heaters, late Bus/Westy camping info, etc.

Here's the link: http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=VFAC

At $99.95 this is a great buy with the second CD (2 CD set) consisting of just the '75-'79 Bus info.

Help spread the word . . ..

Stan Wohlfarth
Product Coordinator/Editor
VW/Audi Service Manuals
Bentley Publishers

Glad to, Stan. That Service Manual Type 2 was the only source of the late Type II Westy camping and auxiliary furnace info and we badly need it back available.

Now if you'd just put the parts fiches on a CD-ROM that we can read in a PC . . .?!!

There is a multi-million dollar business in reproducing old and obsolete automobile publications. The antique car industry supports many publishers doing just that. I hope this means Bentley, who had recently reissued the '63 - '67 shop manual, will delve into that aspect ever deeper. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Capt. Mike

Transferred to consolidate same topic.

jerepowers Member posted October 02, 2002 10:36 AM

I see reference to the Bentley manual all over this site and, because the local mechanics are less schooled on this vehcile than I am in just six weeks of owning one, I was thinking of buying it.

I followed the link on the westfalia.org site to the Amazon site and find a bunch of negative reviews. What particularly concerns me in the reviews is the word "frustration" which defines to a T the way I feel about my Westy -- frustrated that nobody, except apparently Capt. Mike, seems to know anything about them.

I don't need more Westy frustration.

Capt. Mike

The "Bentley" is VW's official factory shop manual. Called that because VW has contracted with Bentley Publishing to print its manuals. This widens distribution and reduces prices.

The Bentley is not a beginner's 'How to be a mechanic' or "Westies for Dummies" book. It is meant for owners or shops with a reasonable amount of mechanical skills and tools. The average mechanic can do most jobs and even the moderately skilled owner can do major tasks, limited mostly by facilities and tools.

Because it assumes reasonable tools and skills, it can be frustrating to those with little mechanical adeptness and a $29.95 K-mart socket set. It does not list the removal of every nut & bolt in a task but usually covers special circumstances where a particular sequence is required.

However, it is still the best manual out there and the only one with VW support. Thus later editions for a given model will contain factory tech bulletin and update material. It allows even the non-mechanic to talk intelligently with the shops and be sure they are following proper procedures and diagnosis. Because of that, it is basically a requirement for site responses. Many responses will only reference a section of the Bentely and many members will not respond to posters that don't have one. See Guideline #2.

W

westydriver

there is also a haynes or chilton available for the vanagons as well. even though i do heavier work than they usually cover i still find the haynes and chiltons handy when used with the bently manuals. sometimes they offer a slightly different angle of approach. bentley also has a cd version which i aquired cheaply from ebay but i do not recommend it for general use. the proprietary software they used is very slow and awkward to use. (pc only as well) it is however very nice to make printed copies of areas so that i dont get too much oil on my main manuals.
westydriver
jimt

westydriver
82 westy

vanagom

I've recently purchased an 84 Vanagon and want to be able to perform as much maintenance myself as possible given my limited mechanical knowledge (money is tight!). I also want to learn as much as I can about engines and specifically about the vehicle I own.

Although I will almost certainly buy it, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be out of my depth with a large chunk of the Bentley manual. From their respective websites, it doesn't look like Haynes offer a manual for my particular year and Chilton don't list Vanagons at all. Am I missing something? Are there any other recommendations people can make?

Thanks,
Tom

A. Cooper

Vanagom, I highly recommend you purchase the Bentley manual. While you're correct that the Bentley typically presumes a fairly high level of familiarity and competence, and is often 'over the head' of many casual backyard mechanics, I'd rather have such a manual than one which is too basic. And Capt. Mike or other members will often refer you to Page 26.13 or some such thing to help answer a question; so the Bentley is truly an invaluable prerequisite to using this site.

But there is no reason you cannot round out your Westy library with appropriate manuals from Haynes, Chilton, or others. Bus Depot sells a Haynes manual (Item Number HAY 3452), which they claim is exclusive to them, and which evidently covers the 1.9L and 2.1L Vanagons. I'll often refer to two or three relevant manuals before performing a repair.

I have made good use of Haynes manuals over the years while working on various cars, and their step-by-step instructions and photos have taught me more about auto mechanics than the Bentley ever has. For someone doing his first brake job, the Haynes' sequential steps (engage parking brake, loosen lug nuts, raise car on jack, remove roadwheel, ...), while admittedly overstating the obvious, can also inspire a rookie to proceed with some confidence.

Having said that, I'll add that once familiarized with the procedure at hand, there is no better resource than the Bentley. While it may be lacking in handy numbered steps, it is often far superior in providing torque settings, wear tolerances, testing procedures, etc.. Although I've never found a blatant inaccuracy in a Haynes manual, I will always defer to the Bentley in a case of conflicting data.

Happy wrenching!

vanagom

I couldn't agree more about having multiple sources to refer too, especially when written to slightly different audiences. I find this holds true in my work (running computer networks) and in my limited experience with car work. My last car (an old diesel Chevy Suburban) was my first attempt at anything above changing the oil - I bought used copies of every manual I could get my hands on.

So it looks like I'm getting the Haynes manual you mentioned as well as the Bentley.

Thanks,
Tom

Capt. Mike

Bentley has issued a correction to the 1968-1979 VW Bus manual:

Electrical system, Section 4.3 Page 5.

Diagram 3-1 has been changed to show a 16 amp fuse in position 10 and an 8 amp fuse in position 11. No other changes.

Fuse 11 is primarily light amperage lights & instruments in most model years so a 16A fuse would be too high. Fuse 10 carries heavier amperage items like heaters, wipers and defoggers so the 8A may be insufficient. Consult your owner's manual and wiring diagrams.

Last edited: