Factory radios & systems

jim conlin

call me crazy , but programming the numbers to read 1111 has turned the 'SAFe' mode off! Could it be the radio 'knew' it was not really stollen [ wires cut] or should I take up a career in safe cracking ?

Capt. Mike

I seem to remember an admonishment not to hold the AM/FM & Scan buttons after the display had flashed from SAFe to numbers or it would reprogram. I wonder if you've inadvertantly reprogrammed to 1111? Not that I'd recommend anyone trying to reprogram. My luck -- especially on cell-phones -- is that any attempt to change the password or code results in losing all service until I take the darn thing to the phone store. I'm not paranoid, but I've got my code written in half-dozen places and the original card still sitting in the file cabinet with the bill of sale.

icarus

Are you trying to find a 5 MILLIVOLT draw, or a 5 MILLIAMP draw?

If you have a 5mv voltage drop across a load, as opposed to a 5map load. Please clarify,

Icarus

Capt. Mike

It must be previous owner wiring changes as the Wolfsburg is nothing more than an exterior & interior trim package with no changes in the mechanics or wiring. That fuse feeds all unswitched accessory circuits, so you need to isolate the radio from the others to determine where the draw is. I'd remove the radio and bench test it.

Is your radio true factory? Many Westies were ordered with only the radio installation package (antenna, wiring & speakers) and the dealer put in various sound packages (some factory approved). By '84, alarm and/or anti-theft code packages were already popular and you may have such a radio which could have some draw at all times.

icarus

5 Mamp hu? Does the radio have digital clock? Digital display? Electronic presets? 5 Mamp is ~6/100th of a watt,,,not much draw. If it is indeed the radio, it could draw that much just sitting idle.

Icarus

icarus

Question is,,, how are you measuring the 12.5vts? Depending on the battery and temp, a fully charged wet cell flooded lead acid battery will be ~12.6vdc. Battery voltage is only one way of measuring whether or not it is full charged. So much depends on loading/charging/temp that there is no accurate way of knowing just by voltage if 12.6 is fully charged or not. Does the battery continue to drop over time, or does it go to 12.5 and then stay there for a long time? Besides the .05amp draw, batteries will have a self discharge rate that varies with design/temp and condition.

I suggest that you read either (or both) of the following links which are the best information about batteries that I have come across. There is much that most of us DON'T know about batteries. http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Lifespan%20of%20Batteries

http://www.batteryfaq.org/

Another thought is, do you have 2 batteries, and are they of different ages, conditions, or construction? A flooded acid battery, in the same cell with a gelled battery is not generally a good idea. Each of these has a different "float charge' voltage and therefore one battery or the other can be chronically under (or over) charged.

I'd suggest that you do some other preliminary testing to make sure that you are barking up the right tree.

Good luck,

Icarus

rakujudy

radio codes

so I guess a common problem you know the story we replaced the battery and now the radio has an error messege. Do we really have to take the radio out and hope the code is on it? We have an odd Westfalia/Eurovan camper 91/92 mfg. in Germany. If anyone could tell us the code and how to do this it would be great