Factory radios & systems

Capt. Mike

Transferred from Archives.

Stereo installation

Wayne Weikel (awwe@roanoke.infi.net), 2/10/98 (10:00 PM)

Need to replace radio/tape player in '85 Westy. How exactly do you get acess for replacement? Any info is greatly appreciated.

W. Weikel

Capt. Mike Soehnlein, 2/12/98 (11:54 AM)

There is a special tool for releasing the VW radios. On each side of the face plate, you will see two very small holes. The special tool is a pair of prongs that fit into those holes, releases the catch and have small notches to help pull the radio out. You can make a crude tool by cutting a wire coathanger and forming two U's such that the ends are parallel and match the little holes in the radio. This will allow you to release the catches, but you will have to pull the radio out by the face-plate. Do not attempt to pry -- if the catches aren't released, you will damage the radio or mount.

If you lift out the ash tray, you can see and reach the wiring disconnect plugs. It also lets you see the rear post on the radio that must be correctly placed in the rear mount bracket upon reinstallation. If you don't have that post in its socket, your radio will bounce suspended from only the front mounts, risking damage.

Capt. Mike

Wayne (awwe@roanoke.infi.net), 2/26/98 (11:10 PM)

Thanks Capt. Mike Soehnlein! This was exactly the information I needed.

Wayne

Otis (otis@ucla.edu), 5/31/98 (4:03 PM)

Any decent car stereo store that sells blaupunkt will sell the wire stereo pulls for removal, check around

-- Otis

Scott (smccloskey@center.colgate.edu), 7/9/98 (4:47 PM)

My '89 Vanagon has a cigarette tray, flip thing right above the head unit (radio). All I had to do to replace it was pull that tray out and I could access the back of the unit. And by the way......do you know where I might find a diagram of the wiring system (color if possible)? Thanks

-- Scott

Both the standard and amplified speaker wiring diagrams are in the Bentley -- Guideline #2!

-- Capt. Mike

Last edited:

Capt. Mike

Transferred from Archives.

3/28/98 (10:50 AM)

Most VW radios were Blaupunkts, or manufactured for Blaupunkt. There are two ways to go about repairs. The VW dealer has a reman exchange program. I think the AM/FM/Cassette Heidleberg in the late Westies is about $125. This would be instant exchange, so no down time on the radio, and would carry a VW warranty.

The other is to send it to Blaupunkt for overhaul. Mine's there now. Their address is at the bottom of the page. My tape deck was acting up and a general cleaning and adjust was about $45. They call with diagnosis and cost first; and accept major credit cards. I sent mine off UPS 3/19/98, they called 3/25 and advise me it was shipped 3/27. I expect it 3/ 30 -- an 11 day turn-around including UPS. Not bad considering most stereo shops charge $50 & up per hour.

If you are considering a new replacement, Blaupunkt has it's own home page www.blaupunkt.com and you can browse for an equivalent replacement. Crutchfied Electronics, www.crutchfield.com, is a major mail-order firm that has a unique make/model vs. fit program, where you can enter your car data, and it will select those items they sell that will fit. This program will leave out several Blaupunkts, however, because the original VW radios are 6.25 inches deep, whereas all the new DIN standard units tend to run 6.5-6.75 inches. The rear support on a VW is flexible, and should handle a 6.5 or even 6.75, though clearance on the speaker and antenna plugs will be tight.

Another consideration when looking at replacements is the tape deck features. The VW Heidleberg has a tape bias selector and Dolby B. In the new Blaupunkt line, you have to get up to the Reno level and above to get both of those features. Since I have tapes on both types of bias, and most everything is Dolby now, the lower end radios aren't suitable. This gives the exchange/rebuild route takes a different look, cost wise.

One man's opinion: A big power, high dollar system is pretty much wasted in a VW van. Even the water-cooleds are pretty noisy and have lousy acoustics. Although seriously tempted by the remote control idea for when camping, none had remote on-off, so I stuck with a rebuild. I still marvel at people who spend thousands turning a Westy into a $29.95 walkman. To antagonize other campers, I guess.

Blaupunkt auto radio repairs: Midwest Electronics 3713 North 25th St. Schiller Park, IL 60176 Include symptoms, and name/address/phone for contact.

Capt. Mike

Correction: You have to go one above the Reno, the Aspen, to get both dual bias control and Dolby. Sorry

Capt. Mike

[This message was edited by Capt. Mike on January 27, 2003 at 08:45 AM.]

Capt. Mike

The following is transferred in from the old Archives. Sorry, they are not in any particular order and it was not practical to include the authors or posting dates. ;p

Cassete (factory) won't play anymore-just keeps switching from side to side.

What's up with that? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your time.

Answer: If the cassette auto-reverses, you either have a bad (dragging) tape, or the whole thing is dirty/worn out. If a thorough cleaning doesn't do it, send to Blaupunkt for a refit. Good service, reasonable prices.

Capt. Mike

Transferred from another topic to consolidate same subject.

Sound systems-Factory

Vince Junior Member # 892 posted 10-05-2001 04:54 PM

Hi,

I HOPE I've got this right--after going through the guidelines, I still can't quite figure out how to post to this board, so my apologies in advance. I wanted this to go into the factory sounds menu, but I could only reply to it, not post, and this is not quite a reply. I have a question about the Heidelberg system. I just got an 87 Westy, and had some work done. Now the Heidelberg radio is on "safe" mode. I have the brochure that came with the radio, but the card that gives the code is not there. I called the VW dealer and they said it would be $40 to have it pulled, and they had to pull it themselves and contact VW to get the code.

This seems like a silly expense--based on what I read on this thread, I should be able to remove this radio with 2 coathangers. Does anyone know another option for getting the radio going? The cassette player wasn't working anyway, and I'm wondering if I've got to put $40 into a 14 yr old radio, if I might as well get the Heidelberg rebuild mentioned earlier, or just get an aftermarket. Great sound is not my concern--I mostly like books on tape and the occasional weather report.Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.
(By the way, do these things really foil theft? How is a thief to know that the radio has a 'safety' code? All it's foiled so far is ME! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Capt. Mike

Well, of course they're going to tell you they have to pull the radio and get the code from VW; that's how it's done and there's no money in telling you how to do it. $40 sounds like a half-hour's shop rate; reasonable for the time they'll invest pulling the radio, getting the radio serial number and contacting VW. Requiring the radio be pulled by their shop insures that you have legitimate ownership of the radio -- that it's not hot. But . . . some dealers may bend the rules if they know you and be willing to just get the code after you've pulled the radio and given them the necessary serial numbers. That's going to be a function of your relationship with the shop -- Message Guideline #8!

There's no question you can pull the radio yourself with either the factory style puller or fabricating your own.

However, at 14 years, you might want to consider sending it back to Blaupunkt for a general overhaul. If you're into tapes, the tape mechanism is probably filthy, worn and the rubber hardened. So their service fee is reasonable for getting your original radio back in top shape. The original Blaupunkts were quality machines so it becomes a choice between old fashioned quality and the higher tech of a new one. Since the VW is not an acoutic chamber, much of the high-tech is lost anyway.

Theft coding DOES work. The idea has never been to foil a thief; it's always been to make the radio undesireable to the thief. If he can't use it, he's less likely to steal it. However, not losing the security code is an owner's responsibility. I not only put my original code card in a safe place, I've stashed the number in a couple of other places where I'll find it but not too likely a thief would.

Last edited:

Capt. Mike

Transferred to consolidate same topic.

Jeff Bole Member posted August 31, 2002 03:26 PM

I just installed a new stereo (mono?) in my '74 Westy. It's a VW AM/FM Radio that I pulled from a '78. There are five big buttons under the dial that must be presets, but I can't figure out how to reset them. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

A. Cooper Member posted September 03, 2002 10:17 AM

Not sure about this specific VW unit, but many aftermarket radios allow you to set their presets thusly:

• Turn the tuning knob to your favorite radio station

• Choose the preset button to which you want to assign that station, and give it a gentle PULL -- outwards -- towards yourself, if it will

• Wait 2 or 3 seconds, then push that button back in to its usual position

• Test it by scrambling the tuning knob to some other station, then pressing the preset button; if it jumps back to your favorite station, you're in luck

If not, you'll have to try something else. Other variations may include pulling the preset button out before tuning, or pressing the button down or upward, or any of numerous other tweakings, jigglings, and three-handed manipulations. Experiment -- gently -- and you're sure to find the solution.

Good luck!!

Jeff Bole Member posted September 03, 2002 12:45 PM

You can pull those buttons?

Sure enough, by golly, that's it! Pull the button out, set the station, push it back in, finito! Now I can enjoy my new AM/FM mono to it's full extent.

Thanks a bunch,

Jeff

A. Cooper Member posted September 04, 2002 01:46 PM

Glad I was able to help.

Enjoy the toonz, even if they ARE in mono!

Last edited:

Capt. Mike

Being typically male, reading the instructions is to be performed ONLY after one has 1.) broken something, 2.) spent a large amount having it fixed, or 3.) buying a new one when the first wasn't broken afterall. Or combination of all three. In this case, I plead guilty of #2.

:confused: Is there a penalty for throttling a 15 year-old? Or is that justifiable if the 15 year-old has messed with your Westy radio? The factory OE Heidleberg VI in my Vanagon has performed remarkable for what's now 12+ years. Taking the young 'un to her school bus stop (a story for the chat room later) she immediately goes for the radio to find first, a station that is guaranteed to drive me insane, and second, at a volume sufficient to shake fillings out of teeth.

Somewhere during these antics, the right side speakers quit. OK, the Heidleberg has a fader control for F to R, which worked fine. And that's it. Bass & treble, but no "balance" knob or little arrows.

OK, let's analyze. Dig out my nifty little homemade remover tool and pull the radio. First I exchanged the speaker with the working left; speaker OK. Then I did a continuity test with a digital ohmmeter on the speaker wires from connector to speaker lead; OK. Radio socket to connector; OK. Finally radio socket to speaker lead; OK. Deduction -- the problem is within the radio.

So it's off to Midwest Electronics, the factory shop for Blaupunkt US. [Side note: you'll save a lot of time and effort if you tell them your radio code so they can turn it on! :p

First they called for the radio code, and then gently hinted that if it requires parts, I'm probably going to be SOL -- Blaupunkt no longer supports the Vanagon series of Heidlebergs. Then there's a bench fee of ~$12 plus UPS whether they can fix or not.

Finally, they called with what I suppose is good news and a justification for throttling teenagers -- just for good measure whether she did anything or not. They couldn't find anything wrong except the balance had been turned all the way to one side. I feel like that newscaster -- I don't have egg on my face, I have an omlet all over my suit.

Apparently young 'un, in her quest to apply teenager yank & pull technique to my ancient Heidleberg, had pulled the volume control while cranking it up to infuriating. The balance control, that I had forgotten even existed, had been turned in the process.

UPS to Midwest, the bench fee, and UPS back -- about $27. I'd buy a 'big print' instruction book but now I can't afford it. :rolleyes:

Midwest Electronics
3713 North 25th Ave.
Schiller Park IL 60176
847-678-8000
1-800-562-5978

Last edited:

Harry Sloane

:confused: Looking for info on a Sony Radio/Tape/CD player. The unit is "factory" with the 96 Winnebago van conversion. However as I am not the original owner, the system's user manual got lost somewhere.

I get an Error message on the radio's LCD face plate that reads E-04 when I try to start the CD player. The CD changer searches through all 10 disk but won't play, then it displays the error message.

Does anybody know what this error message (E-04) means? and how to correct it maybe?
Where could I find a Sony Radio/Tape/CD manual?

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt. Mike

Fight your way back through the dealer and VW to find out who they send their Sony equipment to for warranty repairs. Chances are it will be about the best around. It may even be Midwest Electronics above as they service more makes than Blaupunkt.

jeanon

I have a Heidleberg V radio and the tape is shot,got a HB IV from a listee but the wire harness is completely different. Can someone assist and tell me how to hook up the IV to the V harness.

Capt. Mike

What year for car & both radios (Guideline #3). Are you sure you're not trying to install a radio with amplified speakers in a non-amplified vehicle or vice-versa? And that the replacement radio, though Hiedleberg, is from a VW and not some other manufacture? Although a radio "model" may be used in several makes, they may be configured differently. Manufacturer's purchasing power enables them to have production runs to THEIR specifications, which would include the wiring harnesses & connections.

jeanon

I have a Heidelberg V in my 1987 Westy, the HBIV was to come out of a 1986 Vanagon. I will try to sell the IV as it appears not to be interchangeable with my system. The IV says VW-Audi,

tomjohnson

I have an 88 Westie with an "Autobahn" radio in it. Nothing on the web for this company and the link on this web says not available. Is it similar to a Blau? My problem is that the security light is on constantly, radio comes on but can't tune it, and tape player works. Any ideas?

Capt. Mike

Autobahn is VW's house-brand for their accessories. Almost all Autobahn radios are Blaupunkts and can be repaired per above.

tomjohnson

Thank you...found a Blau repair shop, he was miffed too, so he pulled the radio, disconnected the power, reconnected, and the radio worked like new. Did not have to enter security code. Cost me 10 bucks (Cdn), but that's OK

Brant

Hi, Just a little tip... I always vacuum out my casette deck when I vacuum my van. I use the vacuum crevice attachment and hold the cassette door open with your finger and give it a minute to suck all the dust out. Mine has never given me any problems :} Just something I like to do... makes sense.

Capt. Mike

Transferred to consolidate same topic.

MarkW Junior Member Posted May 31, 2006 12:01 AM

I just purchased a factory CD Changer for my 2003 Eurovan Weekender, from my local dealer. No insructions came with it as how to mount it. mark@msautoservice.com The dealer did order a Eurovan wiring & mounting bracket kit. They told me that it installs under the passenger seat. I could mount it under the seat anywhere, but would like to know how & where the factory reccomends installing it. Does anyone have pictures & or instructions for this application? Thanks for the help!

jim conlin

I seem to have lost the touch. i have cracked the 'safe ' mode on my blaupunkt in the past, this time nothing doin. the fact that i attack it not unlike a monkey on a typewriter is one reason. i was hoping some of you [ without revealing your where abouts ] could let me in on your code. perhaps it will give me an edge. thanks in advance [87 van]

Capt. Mike

The procedure for unlocking the Blaupunkts used in the late '80s Vanagons is:

Press & hold both the AM/FM & Scan buttons (top left & right) at the same time. As soon as the display reads "1000", IMMEDIATELY release.

Press the 1 buttom to read either 0/blank or 1. All radio codes started with either 0 or 1.

Press the 2nd button, the display will read 1. Continue pressing until 2nd number cycles to the desired code number.

Repeat for the 3rd button & 4th button. When all 4 are set to desired code, press AM/FM & Scan simulateously again until display reads a station.

Note: 3 false codes will trigger shut-down. Radio will reset within 24 hours to allow another attempt.

You may have a VW dealer remove & send it in for recoding. I don't know if Blaupunkt's national service center will do it direct or not. I sent mine in for routine service a few years ago and forgot to send the code -- they called me and asked for the code. This may indicate they just wanted to retain my original code and don't have the ability to recall from the radio memory. Or it may indicate a policy. Call first & ask.

jim conlin

Thanks a bunch Capt. - Makes a difference when you know where to begin. Darned if I can get it to show me the numbers though.I will not give up !