Car Covers

campingcouple

Does anyone know of a high-quality cover (for example, one made of marine-quality fabric or a similarily weather resistant material) that we can use for our 87 Westfalia? Since we're in Southern CA, sun is the major concern, with rain a distant second in the winter.
Thank you.

Capt. Mike

Many carry covers, including site sponsor GoWesty. Another company I've used is California Car Cover www.calcarcover.com or 1-800-423-5525. They have an excellent catalog that describes the different types of materials available and their uses & limitations. Also on their web site.

Even a vehicle stored inside can use a cover if not driven daily. There, a simple cotton or other soft cover will protect from dust, splatters and bird visits.

Outside, you must upgrade to UV protection and rain. You also have to consider things like environmental pollutants. There is no perfect cover. But I can tell you NOT to get a "waterproof" cover as it won't breath and will damage your paint. Never use plastic or tarps.

Cal Car Cover and others can explain the differences. Now, most maximum protection covers are padded, have soft liners, and use materials not that far different from Gore-Tex that are highly water resistant yet allow them to breath. Considering the cost of a new paint job or leaks, a premium car cover matching your conditions is worth the extra money. But no cover is a 'bag it & forget it.' They need to be pulled off frequently (weekly), checked, dried and even washed.

Options available include outside mirror pockets, security locks, storage bags and custom printing.

You might also get a copy of Hemmings Motor News at any major newstand and browse it for sources. It caters to the antique car market which uses covers extensively. They list numerous types & suppliers. There are even air-inflated baggies and "car sox" available.

Last edited:

Capt. Mike

I get many inquiries about car covers; when to use? What type? Sources?

A very brief primer: car covers are a good way to protect your Westy IF . . .! You must have the correct type for your particular use, and you must use a LOT of common sense. Last, try to understand the differences and what goes on under your cover. There is no cover that you can just toss on and forget, especially outdoors!

Even inside a garage or storage, a soft, light, breathable cover is desired to cut down dust and bird droppings. Insects can also do paint damage. (Ever try to remove a mud dauber’s nest?) Outside, you have to balance breathability with protection. Different materials have different degrees of protection from UV, physical damage (such as hail & door dings) and rain.

A material that doesn't breath, such as plastic tarps can ruin a paint job in a heartbeat. Real canvas isn’t much better. Moisture is trapped, and the hot sun turns it into a bake-off and steam bath. Paint will blister. Mold, mildew & worse occur. The latest fabrics are multi-layered and have materials similar to Gore-Tex that breath, yet repel water.

But even such covers need to be removed, cleaned and dried on a regular basis. I’ve tried a couple different materials and I think even the best breathable outdoor cover should be removed (for overnight?) weekly. Vehicles still need to be well waxed, and allowed to dry out & breath on a regular basis. Also remember covers make ideal harbors for bugs & small critters.

Below are the materials & descriptions of California Car Cover Co. (Co. details on the supplier forum) of their materials and uses. However, I suggest you talk to their experts, with a complete description of your circumstances, before deciding.

Multiweave®: Lightweight economical cover is made of "Multibond," a 3-layer synthetic material from Kimberly-Clark®. Very good water repellency; very easy to handle and install.

Softweave®: "Standard" 100% soft cotton material. Treated with 3M® Scotchgard® for water repellency, yet very "breathable." Think of how comfortable a 100% cotton shirt is compared to polycotton. Can be used outdoors. Perfect for protecting garaged vehicles.

Plushweave®: 100% cotton material that has flannel lining for true paint pampering. This ultra dense material does a superior job of blocking LTV rays and cushions against scratches and parking lot dings. Treated with 3M® Scotchgard®. Great for both indoor/outdoor use.

Dustop®: Kimberly-Clark® new 4-layer material. Flannel-like softness on the inside, middle layers to keep out dust and provide "cushioning," and a durable outer panel that provides the necessary resiliency for moderate outdoor use. Dustop is about 25% the weight of a flannel cover.

Stormweave®: Kimberly-Clark® “Evolution 4”, a durable, 4-layer synthetic fabric that's designed to work in harsh wet and windy climates. Superior outdoor protection. Dense construction cushions against hail and parking lot dings; resistant to tears and punctures. Highly water-resistant.

Ultraweave®: The ultimate in covers, this space-age fabric is so finely woven that air can pass through and water droplets cannot. Our "Ultraweave Supreme" is exceptionally lightweight and thin, which makes its super easy to handle and store. Features a cotton-soft lining to prevent scratching. All seams heat-sealed.

Noah®: Kimberly Clark's revolutionary fabric provides exceptional indoor and outdoor protection against dirt, dust, rain, and other pollutants. A breathable film layer in the middle stops water, yet allows trapped condensation to escape.

I suggest you “over-cover” – saving a few dollars up front may cost you serious damage later if you chose a cover that doesn’t match-up to your particular use. You may end having to use it in a worse situation than planned, such as ‘out back in the woods’ while your regular spot is taken over for your significant other’s latest project.

Also consider options. A storage bag is a minimum. They also offer locks, embroidery, and other options. Insist on the “inside the driver door” tab – it helps on installing & removing the cover.

Last edited:

Capt. Mike

Regarding car covers & storage, there are a number of alternatives, good & bad, at as much as you want to pay. For a browse of the many protection devises available, get a copy of Hemmings Motor News at most major newsstands and look at the suppliers section. You will find everything from conventional covers to "socks", tents, & portable quonset huts.

You will also find other storage items, such as anti-mildew devises, driers, deoderizers and ventilators. Also transportation & storage services. Give's you an idea of what all's out there!

Capt. Mike

A topic about car covers in general -- what type, when to use, what conditions, etc. -- has been posted on the TIPS forum. Continue to use this forum for additional questions and reporting your experiences -- good or bad!

Last edited:

Capt. Mike

Not a car cover, per se, but if you're thinking of putting up a car port or shed to protect your Westy, I can give you one DON'T. Don't get one from Carolina Metal Structures. They're one of the biggies in the metal building and shed business. At least they advertise and hit all the fairs & trade shows like it.

I got one -- not for my Westy but for my antique car trailer, tractor and pickemup truck. It's been an absolute disaster. Late, poor workmanship, fails to meet specs, leaks, and some of the shadiest ethics I've seen in a long time.

I ordered 10' MINIMUM eave height on the main shed and 8' MINIMUM side clearance height on the attached wing shed. I've got 9'6" and 7' respectively. My 5" subfooting and 4" slab sits 8" above the ground. Custom to grade means, in their eyes, an 8" lip.

I'll update if there's any changes, but right now they're on my BEWARE list.

;) PS: I did have a perfect experience with the grading and clearing contractor. Did what he said, when he said, for the price he said. Did the job quick, neat, for a very fair price and even did some extra things. He pulled some extra stumps for me; knocked in a whole new road out back so he could bring in his dozer without damaging the front paved drive. Even put in a culvert in the "extra" road. He left about 3:30 PM when he finished. At 7:00 PM I got a call want to know if everything was satisfactory and did he do a good job. Him, I'll recommend and use again. Not so CMS!

Last edited:

shaggz

Hello all.
I have a 1972 Westy made for the German market.

I've sadly had to store my van for 2 winter seasons outside up north here in Toronto, Canada. Last winter was crazy. Lots of snow. I was out there after every snow fall removing the snow. I've read about storing a van and i've found some great tips I'll be doing this coming winter. thx.

I'm thinking this year I'd like to put a cover on him so he can at least be somewhat protected from the elements. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the car cover from GoWesty.com.. here's the link

http://www.gowesty.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PR...6409B&Category_Code=

If this is a good cover I'll get it for this winter.
If any one has anything good or bad to say about it let me know

peace

Kris 72 Westy

Capt. Mike

"Revolution -4" is probably a registered trademark name of the material manufacturer and a variation of one of the above. Go to California Car Cover topic in SUPPLIERS forum -- they have the most complete line of covers and are the best source of material technologies. If prices are close -- GoWesty is a site sponsor.

Last edited:

eyesocket

I've had a cover from the Bus Depot [part#A0273] for a couple of years now. I couldn't be happier with it. It fits well, has 3 straps that are secure but easy to remove, and it has zippered access to the front doors and the slider.
I've had it on the past 2 winters when I don't drive the bus and it has performed flawlessly. One strap broke off, but that was from me over-tightening it, and my wife easily sewed it back on.
I always make sure the bus is super clean and dry before I put it on and remove it from time to time on nice days. It's nice to be able to access the doors to get inside or air things out.

kurtdaniel

oops..sori for the double post..capt mike's right..be weary of the car cover types that you are choosing..if you need an outdoor

Last edited by a moderator:

cookewhitley

Hi all,

I would like to thanks for sharing such a nice information, before a day i don't use car cover, when i have purchase BMW before a week, but from your nice discussion, i am decide to use the car cover.

xcellu8

I got a cover for my Westy from Empire Covers. They give ratings for all their covers for how well it protects the car in four different categories, including sun. And there are always coupon codes floating around for that site.

Not sure if you want to go to the trouble of covering the whole car every time you park though. I think the sunshade would be a lot easier.

[Moderator Note: link inserted http://www.empirecovers.com. :cool: This is NOT a site recommendation of company or its products.]