California Imports

Kirk Kirchner

Caution: Do NOT use link; see May 22 2005 post below.

Hey Everyone, I replied to an earlier post regarding bad experience with another parts supplier and have since recieved an e-mail from Capt. Mike telling me to add a new topic with all the info I have on California Imports. The company is located in Canada and their website is http://www.partsvw.com/ For those of you who have yet to have the pleasure of visiting this site I will give you a few of the imports tid bits. First off you don't pay tax because they are in Canada. Now if you are doing a larger project like myself, total rebuild on a '77 Westfalia, you can appreciate the savings on not paying tax. Add to that the free shipping on orders over $250 and now we are talking. The webite gives you an additional 5% off orders and they are always running coupons on their site. They have a 1-800-number that you can call for technical info and they are extremelt helpful. Mike is the name of the guy I always ask for. He has a '71 westy that he redid and know alot about the later busses which is important to me. Once you are on their list they will send you updates on new parts and send you coupons for the site directly. I hope this has been helpful for all of you. I had just sat down to my desk at work on a monday morning to find that I had recieved and e-mail from the Capt. What a great way to start a week, what an honor! If anyone ever sees a 6'9" 270lb. blond guy driving the streets of SoCal in a green '77 be sure to give a honk and a wave! Later.

Capt. Mike

I've read Kirk's post on CIP so contacted their president. My first response was delightful but there hasn't been much follow-up since.

First, per his instructions, I ordered the catalog via the internet process. I'm still waiting -- now 6 weeks.

Then I noticed an item in their on-line catalog offering an OE spec tire in 205/70R14D. Great! Appropriate Westy tires are scarce, I'm getting close to due, and I wanted to pass that on to the many questions I get. I emailed again, asking for more info, including tire brand & model. Nothing, ignored! I sent a 2nd copy of the message and that finally elicited a form letter response that had nothing to do with the question. :confused:

I'd like to think this is an exception, but it is "3 strikes in a row." Maybe when they see this, they'll realize they have some communications short-comings to address.

Capt. Mike

Power of the press! Or in this case the Internet. I posted the above and used the email post feature to send a copy to the president of CIP. The next day a catalog arrived. My wife said a lady then called to see if it had arrived.

I still didn't get an answer to my question and the catalog was no help -- it doesn't give tire names, models or DoT UTC info either.

I sent the continuation of these problems to the president again today and this time finally got a nice reply from the General Manager WITH an answer. Plus an 800 number to call him direct the next time I have a problem or question.

Last edited:

C

Hi Capt.
I just received 5 tires for my Westy from CIP1. They are 205/70R14 made in Korea by Woosung. They are listed on the sidewalls as having a load range "D" and while they are being sold as 8 ply the sidewalls state that the tread is 2 poly& 2 steel with the sidewall being 2 poly. This to me adds up to 6 ply? I'm not sure if that's the way the math goes or not though. The max load is listed @ 1874 lbs @ 65psi (max pressure).
The tread is clasified as M&S but they look like they might be quiet on the highway. They cost me (Newfoundland, Canada) $129.95 each along with a $15.00 packaging fee per tire. As the order was over $700.00, they paid for the shipping.
I'll let you know how they turn out once I get them mounted.
Regards,
Gary.

C

I finally got the Westy tires (205/70 R 14r) installed that I bought from California Imports, they are quiet and the vehicle controls nicely. According to the tire rep where I was getting them installed/balanced, he said that a "D" rating is an 8 ply. Pleased and ready for the May 24 weekend (a Newfoundland thing!!)
Best regards,
Gary.

Capt. Mike

If you read the sidewall carefully, they usually say 8PR. The PR means "ply-rated." The industry allows them to use fewer plies if they meet the standards of the older bias-ply tires with more plies. Load range D, 8 PR and other designators are fading in favor of the UTC ratings -- they remain mostly for advertising purposes.

When you have sufficient miles for a good evaluation, please post your experiences & impression on the WHEELS & BRAKES forum under the OE & OEM tires thread.

Last edited:

ronwolffjr

CA Imports has always been an asset to all of my VW projects. It is my hope that the Westfalia community becomes aware of these shining stars and keeps them in business.

Good people!

Ron Wolff
'76 Westy
'78 SB Conv
'74 SB Auto-stick
'78 Westy Auto

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt. Mike

Updated URL for VW side of their parts business:

California Import Parts -- VW.

For their General Parts Store (other import marquees):

California Import Parts -- Gen'l.

[10/13/05: Caution: The old link, http://www.vwparts.com, takes you to a site full of pop-up windows, spyware and attempts to change your home page. It also does not ID the site owners, locations, etc. It's obviously one of those front sites, now. If you've previously bookmarked that url, you probably want to remove it from your favorites list. -- Moderator]

mrhooie

i ordered my Bentley from the Canadian side of their company. came promptly and i think i'd order again based on the fact they've got a Canadian hassle free alternative