Burning Man 2007

imported_JohnB

BM 2007
Submitted by Guest (not verified) on Tue, 2007-03-27 21:03.

I took my Syncro in 2005 and 2006, Great fun, but not for everybody. Read all about it at Burningman.com, Lots of Westy camps there. Be prepaired! This is an High Desert Alkaline Lake bed. After 40,00 people have been moving around for a week the fine dust the consistancy of flour will find itself into every part of your van, guaranteed no matter how anal you are at keeping your van tight, behind the fridge, in all the air passages, and even though you only will be able to drive to your site and drive out (no driving during the event unless your a registered Art Car) plan on the brushes in your altenator getting filed down by the dust. 100 degree days, 45 degree nights, 70mph winds. Plan on a week of self sufficiant camping leaving no trace, (portapottis and ice available) pack out all your trash, evaporate your grey water without touching the ground, no commerce allowed (except ice and coffee non profit shop, gift culture (not trade). Like camping in a vacumm cleaner bag. Impossible to describe without doing it, radical free expression, lots of irony, fun! Participate not spectate is the motto.

imported_JohnB

Just bought a camper bus
Submitted by tHOM yEOMAN (not verified) on Mon, 2007-02-12 13:35.
I would love more info on your club. Just bought my first bus, 73 pop top. Also have not been to burning man but would love to go with your group.

imported_JohnB

What a great idea!
Submitted by Parrothead (not verified) on Mon, 2007-01-15 15:16.
I have actually been planning on going to Burning Man in 2007 (The theme is "The Green Man" - an ecologically minded Burning Man!) but a Westy group tour would be the best! I am in the Detroit area if anyone else agrees with me and would be interested in going. I drove through Reno (about 120 miles south of the Burning Man site) while bringing my Westy back from purchasing it in CA last summer. An incredible drive!

imported_JohnB

burning man
Submitted by chris (not verified) on Mon, 2007-01-08 01:04.
Would like to go with the caravan.
chris 1986 vanagon westy

howzbayou

I've gone for the last three years in my 87 Westy. I run propane for the fridge and have a 150 Watt Solar panel to charge the Aux. battery that runs an LED light show, the stereo water water pump and lights. Word of advice, bring Aux battery and disconnect main. There's a camp called VW Bus Camp that has been there for years, they have a website, I'd advise contacting them as well. I've seen some of the most amazing bus modifications ever there. More later!

imported_JohnB

Hey howzbayou!

Any damage to your vehicle by sandstorms?

I have a polypropylene fiber vehicle cover that I was thinking of bringing in case of sandstorms. Do you think that would do the trick?

howzbayou

No problems here with sand, it isn't sand it's alkaline dust, aka playa dust, you'll have it in your van for the rest of it's life after one day of going there. Googles and masks are a must. It's a good idea to bring some astroturf or a carpet to put out front and to make sure and NOT have the sliding door facing the prevailing wind for obvious reasons. An awning or shade structure is a MUST. You can get one for 40 bucks at Wally World or get creative with the many awning designs. The Moss (MSR) Outfitter wing is excellent. The old VW side tents actually hold up very well. Something to do with the external frame or something.

Your fridge fan will work triple overtime and drain your battery because of the heat. So what I did was bring added aluminum insualtion which I stuck on the outside, and a small solar fan which I stuck on the exhaust of the fridge as well as one of those battery operated fans to stick in the fridge. Ice is one of the only commodities available so you don't have to depend on the fridge. For me it was more of a survivalist's challenge to see to it that I could make ice and keep a sixer cold.

Grab some solar pathway lights as well.

You can't be to organized. It's like a moon shot, and when you land, you'll know what I mean.

That being said, my first year I went with my 9 year old in my VW golf, coleman stove and sleeping bags and we had a blast and a half!

VW Bus Camp, they are waycool, I've hung out with them a few times... http://www.vwbuscamp.com/

and also..

http://www.schardt.org/ping/

Glad to be of help, have a nice burn! )*(

howzbayou

oh...sorry, didn't answer your query...never really saw anyone with a vehicle cover, but maybe a way to keep er cool...Did see someone who added a 100 foot tower to his Westy tho..

Boijoy

Hi there, I took my 84 Westy out there last year & plan to attend this year. After my return I lost my fuel pump and had a stuck valve.

I got an oil change for the Westy and had the motor blown off and cleaned.

Question,, Would you "tech" guys suggest any other service upon return from the dust bowl?
Besides removing about 3 lbs of talc and glitter from the van?? :)

BTW Burning Man is FABULOUS!! get there if you can.. survive the day and thrive at night.

Burn On !!

designtech11

Hi Group,
I have a Westy '84 that's been stuck in NY for a bit, but I'm hoping to have it back in California by next month...

that said, I'd like to go to burning man this year, how do you go about connecting with this group if I decide to go in my VW?

Thanks for the site, btw...I'm a new member

macrylinda

burning man
Submitted by chris (not verified) on Mon, 2007-01-08 01:04.
Would like to go with the caravan.
chris 1986 vanagon westy
What a great idea!
Submitted by Parrothead (not verified) on Mon, 2007-01-15 15:16.
I have actually been planning on going to Burning Man in 2007 (The theme is "The Green Man" - an ecologically minded Burning Man!) but a Westy group tour would be the best! I am in the Detroit area if anyone else agrees with me and would be interested in going. I drove through Reno (about 120 miles south of the Burning Man site) while bringing my Westy back from purchasing it in CA last summer. An incredible drive!