Bunks, Cots and Hammocks

Capt. Mike

Rather than trust my aging memory, I'm going to suggest you get a copy of the owner's manual camper supplement for your vehicle. They are available from various vendors such as GoWesty. My '73 gave the weight limits for both the cot in the roof and the span cot that bridged the front seat. I'm wanting to remember 100 lb. for the cot & 65 lb. for the span :confused:, but that's not to be taken as gospel or fact because they seem generous.

Last edited:
1968~73/74 VW Type 2 Westfalia, plywood-based, elevating-roof bed

As a consequence of a recurring discussion topic, I have discovered that the British specification, right-hand drive, 1972~73 VW Type 2 Westfalia "Continental" campervan (of which we have the 1973 model-year), with front-hinged elevating roof, appears to have a unique, two-berth, childrens' elevating-roof bed, with upholstered, rigid plywood base, which were not fitted to 1968~73/74 VW Type 2 Westfalia campervans, sold in other countries (including Canada, Denmark, France & USA), which also featured the same type of front-hinged elevating roof.

Instead, these non-British specification vehicles, are fitted with some form of single-berth, folding cot. I have never slept in a folding cot of this type, but if it is anything like the cab bunk, akin to an old-style casualty stretcher, with canvas and two longitudinal poles, then I imagine it would be most uncomfortable; having 'slept' in a similar stretcher bunk, in a Commer "Highwayman", coachbuilt motorcaravan, borrowed by my father, back in the late-1960s or early-1970s.

As a consequence of impacting against the hard metal poles, during the night, the experience resulted in bruised knees, if not elbows as well, if I recall correctly! If my supposition is correct, then I can appreciate why many owners of non-British specification, pre-1974/75 VW Type 2, Westfalia campervans, with front-hinged elevating roofs, would wish to replace the single-berth folding cot, with a two-berth, upholstered plywood, elevating-roof bed, as factory-fitted to our 1973 VW Type 2, Westfalia Continental campervan.

Strangely, a similar design of longer, two-berth, adults' elevating-roof bed, with upholstered, rigid plywood base, was later used in all countries, for the 1973/74~79 VW Type 2 Westfalia campervans, with longer rear-hinged elevating roof. Hence, many owners of the non-British specification, 1968~73/74 VW Type 2 Westfalia campervans, with a front-hinged elevating roof, have been asking whether it's possible to substitute into their vehicles, one of these longer, two-berth, adults' elevating-roof beds, with upholstered, rigid plywood base; little knowing what was factory-fitted to the British specification, right-hand drive, 1972~73 VW Type 2 Westfalia "Continental" campervan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt. Mike

Excellent post. As a Canadian owned site with mostly N. American market members, data on factory versions in other markets is limited as our publications from other markets. We appreciate your input and hope you can answer posts from other UK members. It is interesting in that upper bunk may be the forerunner of the unit eventually adopted for the Vanagons.

robbcross

Westy Bed Too Firm!!

I have a 92 Eurovan Westfalia (Canadian model). My wife and I find the mattress/seat foam (the downstairs bed) too firm for our liking, and are thinking that a foam mattress cover might be the answer. Has anyone else been down this road, and found a comfortable solution that doesn't take up too much space?

Thanks in advance, Robb

meredithlyn

childs cot '82 Westy

Does anyone know if there was a child's cot made for the westys of the 80's? I would love to find one as i camp and travel with a small child and the double bed in the back gets very tight with two adults and a kid. The only cots for sale on the samba classifieds seem to be for the vans of the 60's and 70's. any info would be appreciated! thanks,

meredith
('82 Westfalia, diesel)

Capt. Mike

You do have TWO double beds; one below & one in the roof. If the child is too small for the roof, put him below and you take the top bed. It's actually bigger than the bottom, anyway. The over-front-seats cot of the late Type II's was small, limit 90 lb., and very much in the way when set up. The headrests had to come out and I'd imagine you'd have to have canvas modified or custom made to use the rods & hardware in a Vanagon.

Last edited:

debbiej

about that upper bunk

I find it comfortable. my husband doesn't and we have tried several things to make it more to his liking. we bought one of those "self inflating" matteresses to put on top of the existing pad, and it is better for him, but I had hoped it would be a simple thing to fold the bed closed and put the top down. However, it is such a pain to get the air out, that I don't like it.

so this weekend, I happened to notice that although it says it is a double, our cheapie intex air matteress is exactly the size of the top bunk. I took the foam pads out, laid the matteress up there and standing at the "head" of the upper bunk, poked the air pump on and in a couple of minutes have a very comfortable bed up there. it doesn't push up against the canvas like I thought it would and our toes aren't cramped. when it is time to have headroom below, we can just let the air out, leaving the bedding up there and fold the bed back. at bedtime, just blow it up again. I covered any sharp edges on the hardware with duct tape and before we put the top down, we fold the matteress away from the edges.

I don't like altering my van, but my husband has a bad shoulder, and maybe when it is better we'll put new high density foam in the covers and snap the pads back on....

rpkremit34

Replacing Zippers

Any tips on replacing the zippers? I recently purchased a 78 westy, and wanted to wash the fabric and clean the foam before taking it camping. But, when I tried to unzip them, the plastic zippers just broke apart. So, I'm currently looking for metal zippers, but I'm not sure how to install them. Normally, you would position a zipper between two separate pieces of fabric and sew it on with the zipper closed, but I can't do that with a cushion. And my concern is that if I sew each side with the zipper open, it won't close properly. If nothing else, I'm just going to pin both sides and hope it works.

cawestybrit

Vanagon Child's cot / bed in front

Does anyone know if there was a child's cot made for the westys of the 80's? meredith
('82 Westfalia, diesel)

Hi Meredith,
I had a similar question, in order to make up our 5-sleeper Vanagon for the kids. The Bus Depot happens to sell a child's cot: busdepot . com (part # 7001) for $60 at the moment, and brackets (part # 211158) for $14. We have ordered this and will be trying this out.
Interestingly, Gary Lee's web site has pictures of a cot in place, which he sells for $280 with shipping so I hope it's similar to this.
(Sorry I cannot post the links directly as I am new on the board and you have to have 30 posts before you are allowed this privilege!)

[Moderator note: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/frontbed/frontbed.htm

The cot pictured and brackets were standard VW Westy equipment for late Type II's with VW part numbers.]

dduchesne

Vanagon Top Bunk

Hi to all,

I just bought an 87 Vanagon, but the top bunk is completely missing.

Any ideas where I could get plans, or simply get one done?

[Moderator Note: See also "Restoring a Westy -- OE documentation" topic this forum.]

kaz212

Westy roof bed

Hello all!
We've just bought our lovely 1971 Westy :) and would appreciate some help with the roof bed. The bed was never used by the previous owner but he fitted it into the roof for us when we bought the van. Trouble is, we can't work out the function of the folding flap part of the bed and just can't see where it's meant to be!! :confused: I've searched the internet for photos or hints but with no luck.
Would appreciate any help!

Capt. Mike

I'm confused :confused:. Is this a N. American model (Guideline #4). Early Baywindow buses ('68 - '73) had a canvas cot -- much like a folding army cot, that bridged the pop-top opening fore & aft. It was meant for children. The full double bed didn't come into use until the pop-top started hinging at the rear instead of the front. Your owners manual camper supplement book should show you the operation & weight limits of the cot. I wonder if your PO took it out for headroom and then just put it back loose for the sale.

kaz212

Thanks Capt. Mike. I'm confused too now. We have the full double bunk with the folding headrest. I'll carry on looking through the Internet - thanks.
I had scanned the forums on here but wasn't able to find anything to explain how the bed fixes in.
Sorry I'd put my thread in the wrong place!

SammySoulShop

Hi, this is a super old post but just wanted to let you know that we manufacture Child Cots for Vanagon here in the great USA! Boise Id!

Our cots are made from 15oz premium natural canvas. Mounting is provided by 3/4 inch square stock poles that are 1/8 thick and made to last so long as there is life on this planet! All hardware is included with easy to follow and detailed instructions. Our cots are a time tested must have for camping with kids, or dogs, or lots of gear!
We can be contacted at sammysoulshop@gmail.com

SamFront cot.jpgFront cot bar end.jpgCot flyer.jpg

SammySoulShop

Child Cot for Vanagon

I actually live in Boise area. Do you have a store? Any other things you sell?

I do not have a store. I do instals however out of my shop. I am working on a back child cot/ bassinette for Westafalia which should be available in the next couple of weeks. I do have other things in the works but for now its just the cots. One thing at a time.

Feel free to call with any questions.

Sam
208-713-5381
sammysoulshop@gmail.com

http://i48.tinypic.com/15xqum8.jpg

SammySoulShop

Hi Folks, Sammy here. I just wanted to update this post. We now live in Sandpoint Idaho and we sell child cot/ hammock for VW Vanagon.

Shoot me an email and request a flyer!

sammysoulshop@gmail.com

Peace

Sammy

Attachments

• cot flyer updated.jpg
    cot flyer updated.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 17