Brake power booster

pascal giasson

I have an intermittent brake problem with my 84 Westy. So far it only happens when it is hot out, say above 30 Celcius. What happens is the brake pedal does not return all the way up to it's normal position. I was advised that it was my booster, if so why does it work fine 95% of the time?

I have all new hoses and wheel cylindre, and rebuilt calipers.

Thanks

Capt. Mike

It's unlikely your P/B booster has anything to do with it. Brake pedal return is accomplished by the return spring (Bentley 46.10). You could have worn bushings, shaft binding, or broken spring. The mechanical pedal side belongs in the SHIFT LINKAGE . . . PEDALS . . . forum and you may start a new topic; this has not been addressed before.

SeventyTwo

I have a question about my brake booster, I think this is where I should post it.

I jsut installed a new (second hand) booster in my 1972 Type 2 bus. I the vaccum line was cut, but I ran a piece of copper tubing between the lines and clamped each end. The brakes worked great for a coupple days, but then I started to notice a loss of power in them. Not a complete loss, maybe I would guess around 50%. And also now when I press the pedal, the engine boggs down (idles lower, looses power), then picks back up after I release the pedal.

Does anyone know what this could possibly mean? Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Alex

Capt. Mike

Perform a vacuum test on your lines and insure the vacuum check valve is operating correctly. A brake booster vacuum leak can cause both brake problems and engine running problems. Bentley 8-4.5

Capt. Mike

That's what I just said above; a vacuum leak from the brake booster or line can make the engine suck air and not idle. It may still run at high RPM. See "Vacuum System Sleuthing" in the ENGINE forum.

Capt. Mike

Prior is NOT the VW OE or OEM brand. Type II's used two different boosters changing in 1974. Notice that they don't specify the correct fit years or change-over VIN#. Go to Wolfsburg West to see pictures of the two different ones. The Prior pictured doesn't look like either. See Guidelines #5 & 8.

See also the topic "dba's . . ." in the PARTS forum. Incorrect part applicability is a concern for the site's accuracy.

IF you have an original, you might consider having it rebuilt. See the White Post posting in Mechanics > USA > Antique Restoration . . ..