Any way to guess how much to maintain an 85? (more or less)

newbie101

I'm looking into getting a Westfalia (most of the ones that get my attention are 1985 or newer), but have not idea what it costs to maintain these things.

Is there any way to get a wild guess what I might spend?

Let's say I drive 10-15K miles/year, mostly in summer. Most of the ones in my area have 150-250k miles. No, I'm not getting the nicest thing out there, but it seems like I can have a few nice camping trips with something like this...

Do you build in the assumption that every year you'll get a surprise cost of $1,000 (or should I make it more like $4,000?).

Everything I've looked at is a reasonable deal -- including what sellers have disclosed needs to be fixed -- to get me out the door and camping in comfort.

Thank you!

westy_coyote

An accurate estimate depends upon the condition of the particular bus.
There could be many potential deferred maintenance areas in a 25 year-old
high mileage vehicle.

You'll need a _complete_ inspection/survey to have an accurate cost estimate of what it
will take to make it road worthy.

Once the bus is GTG, conditions and luck will determine annual costs.

Engines and trannys are expensive (thousands), everything else can be done
for hundreds, or less.

These are not drive it and forget about it vehicles.

Doing the maintenance yourself (and/or learning how) is for me one the great
aspects of owning these wonderful machines.

I'm looking into getting a Westfalia (most of the ones that get my attention are 1985 or newer), but have not idea what it costs to maintain these things.

Is there any way to get a wild guess what I might spend?

Let's say I drive 10-15K miles/year, mostly in summer. Most of the ones in my area have 150-250k miles. No, I'm not getting the nicest thing out there, but it seems like I can have a few nice camping trips with something like this...

Do you build in the assumption that every year you'll get a surprise cost of $1,000 (or should I make it more like $4,000?).

Everything I've looked at is a reasonable deal -- including what sellers have disclosed needs to be fixed -- to get me out the door and camping in comfort.

Thank you!