AC Service Valve Access 1987 Vanagon Camper?

gonevanagon

Can anybody tell me how to access the service valve for the factory air conditioning? I hear its in the left rear cabinet near the engine compartment. There's nothing accessible that I can see by looking inside. Does that mean I have to remove the whole cabinet out of the van, to then access the service valve to recharge the system? I just bought my van and still trying to figure things out. thanks for any help.

scotsborn

According to my Bentley (p87.8) the service valve is on the pipe at the rear of the compressor although mention is made on p87.3 that it "...is located in the left rear cabinet".

gonevanagon

I haven't found the time yet, was not sure how to do it. I might let the mechanic do it and try to watch them to see how involved. I did find out that there is the old system R12 freon in some vanagons that needs to be converted to the newer 134a. You might be able to keep the R12 but it will be expensive to recharge.

Jarome Iginla

AC Service

The location of the service valve in your camper should be at the rear of the unit's compressor sitting on the pipe. Although an experienced technician can better tell you the exact location of a service valve. For campers, it usually gets a little expensive to recharge the ac unit with freon. You need to perform ac repair from time to time to ensure its smooth functioning.

Jarome Iginla

Ac repair and service

The location of the service valve in your camper should be at the rear of the unit's compressor sitting on the pipe. Although an experienced technician can better tell you the exact location of a service valve. For campers, it usually gets a little expensive to recharge the ac unit with freon. You need to perform ac repair from time to time to ensure its smooth functioning.

Jhonson Smith

Can anyone suggest me Is it more energy efficient for the Air Conditioner to come on for short bursts of cooling (running for five to seven minutes at a time) or to come on and stay on for longer periods? How about the wear and tear on the unit as well?