A/C performance problems -- not compressor/freon/evaporator related

Liam

My guy needs to do some diagnostic work on it all this week, and will take your question into account as well. I'll get back to you.

ferchdogg

Hey Liam just wanted to see if you or your guy were able to discuss my ac issue? Also I hope your van is feeling better...

Liam

update

Hey Liam just wanted to see if you or your guy were able to discuss my ac issue? Also I hope your van is feeling better...

Sorry for the delay; my guy had to leave town for a bit. But he's now back and has solved my A/C issue with the help of his friend - and electronic engineer. I've told them about your problem, and they will discuss. I should hear back from them in the next week or so.

scotsborn

On your van, speeds 1+2 go through a resistor that steps down the voltage so the fan runs slower. Speed 3 energises the AC relay which then sends voltage through the resistor block to the motor (lower than 12v). Speed 4 energises the EVAP fan relay which sends power from the battery straight to the motor so that it can run at it's max designed speed. So, if 1-3 are good then we can concentrate on speed 4.

Since speed 4 energises the relay and you can hear the relay clicking then that would appear to be the issue. Since you have tried another relay then we can assume that the relay is not the root cause. Since the Evap fan relay and the AC relay share the same ground then we will assume (for now) that the ground to the relay is good. If you were loosing power to terminal 87 of the relay then the fan would stop but the relay would not 'click' so that leaves power from the fan switch as the most likely culprit. I'm not sure of your electrical knowledge but if you can find terminal 30 (Black wire) and terminal 87 (Red wire) on the fan relay you can create a jumper wire and 'jump' this connection. That will take the relay out of the picture. If the fan continues to cut out then the issue is in the fan motor wiring. If the fan runs with no issues then the voltage from the switch would be suspect. This can be checked by putting your volt meter on terminal 86 (yellow wire) of the relay. If the voltage comes and goes then you would have to fault trace that wire to determine root cause. At that point I would suspect the switch. The switch can be bypassed in much the same manner as the relay (terminal + (Green/Black) to terminal 4 (yellow)).

Liam

Hey ferchdogg,
Got my Westy back today with the A/C solved - a "new" A/C thermostat (got one from a junker) and replacement of old wiring (resistance was running high) did the trick. Blows like a freezer now. Now if only summer would come to Ontario! Meanwhile, I also asked my guy about your case, and he basically said the same thing as Scotborn (05-11-2011) - see elsewhere in this thread. It's all about isolating the cause - though he also noted that sometimes its a combination or cumulative effect and sometimes requires the replacement of several seemingly working but tired old parts (that was the case with mine) - so you may do well to go with a new relay and switch, for example. Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

ferchdogg

Ahhhh...my a/c is cooooolllldd. Just wanted to fill you in on the results. So it seems the connector that ran in the air duct along the cieling of the center of the cab was loose. It has about 5the or six pins in the connectors and one or those was loose. My mechanic is amazing!!! He really knows how to trouble shoot. Im just soliloquy glad it was something minor. But how he figured it was this was pretty cool. So my a/c was working awesome for a couple days after I got it back and I was driving somewhere when my mom was sitting in the back with the kids and screamed there's water leaking from the vents. So I turned the air off and hit the internet. Love the internet. So from what I read apparently this problem is quite common but a bit of a pain to fix. So I took down to the air duct all the way to the rear and began the fun of disassembling the a/c unit. Wow. That was fun. Wish I would of taken pictures but I didn't. Once I disassembled the unit found it was one of the two pro lens described on the internet in which the drop pan was cracked. Glued it and put it back together in about a quarter of the time it took to take apart and now I only have one question left...Why do I read about so many people complaining that there a/c isn't cold enough and doesn't cool down the van enough. About 10 mins of air or so and we have to turn it down because of how cold it gets.. lol...so thankful for all your help and advice.

Liam

Hey ferchdogg,
Amazing! I've never heard of that one; thanks for the update. Great detective work, indeed. I also have zero complaints about the A/C. We just spent a hot few days in Northern Ontario for Canada Day and 4th of July weekend, and never had the fan above 2. Here's to a cool summer!

I recently purchased a 93 manual westfalia and have been hearing a strange whining noise. I seem to only hear this noise outside of the van and have checked under the hood. The noise only happens when the air conditioning is turned on. When turned on I hear a clicking noise the fan turns on and the motor seems to increase when the fan turns of I hear the whining noise, then the procedure continues to repeat while the air conditioning is on. the air conditioning works great but not sure if this whining noise is the way it works. Is this normal?

I know nothing about vehicles and when I take it in to get it checked really don't want to look like a total dumbass lol , If it were a belt issue wouldn't this noise continue with the air conditioning of? I have no noise when its turned of....but with that air conditioning going I am sure that I have aliens in there lol.

ferchdogg

Where are you located? Anywhere in Southern California? If so I have the best mechanic for you. Other than that im going to home and take a look at my van and give you my thoughts on your problem.

ferchdogg

Hi all. I am currently cleaning my a/c unit on my 87 Hardtop Vanagon. Do I have to replace the old foam that is on the evaporator and what is the best method to get all that old stuff off and out of the evaporator? It keeps clogging my drip tray hoses.

Last edited:

ferchdogg

I'm sure you've figured this problem out already but this happened to me exact same problem you described and it was that my a/c compressor was in need of replacing after only having replaced it recently. It was the clutch on the compressor that was causing the whining noise. And yes it is the clutch on the compressor that makes the radiator fan do the whining noise up front. At least it was the case on mine.

T. Huff

I have a 1988 westy and I had seen someone with the problem of debris from blowing from the a/c vents. I have the same problem. It looks to be insulation. Can anyone help?
Thanks

ferchdogg

I have not done the work yet but I know I'm going going to vacuum and flush it all. I still don't know if I have to re wrap it with foam and if so what kind etc...but I will follow up hopefully will get around to it soon.

RBEmerson

I have a 1988 westy and I had seen someone with the problem of debris from blowing from the a/c vents. I have the same problem. It looks to be insulation. Can anyone help?
Thanks

There's a thin "slab" of foam rubber under the blower motors, and a lot of "weather stripping" where edges of the box around the evaporator and evaporator meet. All of that peels of without too much effort. Replace it with stick-on weather stripping from your fave hardware store.

WARNING! Pulling the evaporator box isn't dead easy and takes two people (that box ain't light!). Two things to really, really watch out for: 1) the resistors for the blower motors (there are two motors and two resistors - they sit on plastic brackets that will break as soon as look at you) - remove them while your "strong but dumb" assistant holds the box. 2) the hoses for the drain pan (one on the left and right side) are cleverly designed to break off the spigots for the drain pan (GoWesty, IIRC, lists replacements) and will generally annoy you no end as you drop the box. Trust me, you'll hate them even more when replacing the box.

RBEmerson

I have not done the work yet but I know I'm going going to vacuum and flush it all. I still don't know if I have to re wrap it with foam and if so what kind etc...but I will follow up hopefully will get around to it soon.

Are you talking about wrapping the AC plumbing or the evaporator box? The plumbing should have closed cell foam around it. At least in our 90 Westy, it was all in good shape. You can stuff some foam (closed cell - don't want it soaking up condensation!) where the lines pass into the box although, IMHO, I wouldn't worry about it.

For ferchdogg and T. Huff: think very seriously about converting to Red Tek refrigerant. This applies to either R-12 (probably no longer present - it's environmentally vile and deliberately taxed to make it almost impossible to buy) or R134A (almost the only R-12 replacement in use in cars). Vacuum out the existing refrigerant and oil (it's probably fairly nasty unless relatively new), think seriously about replacing the receiver/drier (located just in front of the left rear wheel) - can't hurt and will help if it's the original unit, add fresh oil (any compressor oil will do with Red Tek), and pull a good vacuum. Let it stand for at least a day to be sure there are no leaks. Red Tek sells a hose sealant and an o-ring sealant (two separate products) that you add to the system without worrying about adding any charge to the system. If the system's tight, go ahead and put in the Red Tek as a liquid (can upside down). If you're using a hi/lo gauge set with red, yellow, and blue hoses, put the Red Tek on the yellow line and feed to the blue port (low or suction line near the compressor - the high pressure port, if it's not visible near the compressor, is tucked away in the corner of the locker back by the engine). The goal is to reach 35-38 psi on the low side and 150-160 psi on the high side at temps well into the 80's. Again, for our 90 Westy, three cans of Red Tek did the job.

Why Red Tek? A) There are no fluorocarbons of any sort and B) it's a more efficient refrigerant than even R-12 (R-134A is about 10% less efficient than R-12). Given the Westy AC isn't all that great, take whatever gain can you can get. The bad news is that right now there's only one source for Red Tek in the US, in Alcoa, TN. Head to www.redtek.com and look up their 12a refrigerant. The tech support people are finest kind, prices are good ($37 for five cans shipped UPS ground - no USPS allowed), and this stuff really works.

DISCLAIMER: I have no connection with Red Tek or its parent company save as a customer.

lugnut2

Ac therostat 85 west where is it located

Ahhhh...my a/c is cooooolllldd. Just wanted to fill you in on the results. So it seems the connector that ran in the air duct along the cieling of the center of the cab was loose. It has about 5the or six pins in the connectors and one or those was loose. My mechanic is amazing!!! He really knows how to trouble shoot. Im just soliloquy glad it was something minor. But how he figured it was this was pretty cool. So my a/c was working awesome for a couple days after I got it back and I was driving somewhere when my mom was sitting in the back with the kids and screamed there's water leaking from the vents. So I turned the air off and hit the internet. Love the internet. So from what I read apparently this problem is quite common but a bit of a pain to fix. So I took down to the air duct all the way to the rear and began the fun of disassembling the a/c unit. Wow. That was fun. Wish I would of taken pictures but I didn't. Once I disassembled the unit found it was one of the two pro lens described on the internet in which the drop pan was cracked. Glued it and put it back together in about a quarter of the time it took to take apart and now I only have one question left...Why do I read about so many people complaining that there a/c isn't cold enough and doesn't cool down the van enough. About 10 mins of air or so and we have to turn it down because of how cold it gets.. lol...so thankful for all your help and advice.

Hey my air was cool and great and it's for the guy changed it over to R134, I checked the fuses and they're good. The gauge on the intake for the R134 says it's full. Is there a relay for the air-conditioner or is it only for The heater.

lugnut2

Type o sorry.

Hey my air was cool and great and it's for the guy changed it over to R134, I checked the fuses and they're good. The gauge on the intake for the R134 says it's full. Is there a relay for the air-conditioner or is it only for The heater.
I didn't check if the compressor was coming on I'll do that. But mainly I was wondering where the AC thermostat And also if there is an AC relay thank you