A/C compressors, lines, leaks, incl. 134a conversion

catamaran36

I'd like to have a pro replace my 1989 Westie's entire A/C system (with an R134 system, I presume). Wondering what a fair price will be for all the parts and labor. Many thanks!

John Batchelor , Seattle

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob771

1984 Westy AC Controller?

Hello everybody, my name is Rob and I am hoping somebody may be able to point me in the right direction. I have a 1984 Westy with the A/C unit hanging in the rear overhead. The original A/C compressor seized and smoked the belt. New compressor was installed, system evacuated and charged.

Problem is there is no power going to A/C Compressor Clutch. If power is jumped to clutch, pressures look to be correct for 134A Gas. I have tracked down the wiring form the fan-A/C Switch Rheostat to what I think would be called an A/C Controller. I verified it has power to it and switch seems to be functioning correctly. Thinking when clutch melted on original, it may have shorted the unit? When opened up, it is not a relay, but actually a circuit board? Located on left side end of dash.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You,
Rob

Attachments

• DSCI2065.jpg
    DSCI2065.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCI2064.jpg
    DSCI2064.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:

Capt. Mike

catamaran36: I had mine done. The total bill was $2500. That included NEW compressor, all new flex hoses, new hi & lo pressure switches, new receiver-drier and some other minor items. I am very pleased. Please remember that R12 hoses cannot be used -- R134 will migrate through the side-walls so you must change all rubber hoses.

Capt. Mike

R134 conversion Vanagon

catamaran36: I had mine done. The total bill was $2500. That included NEW compressor, all new flex hoses, new hi & lo pressure switches, new receiver-drier and some other minor items. I am very pleased. Please remember that R12 hoses cannot be used -- R134 will migrate through the side-walls so you must change all rubber hoses.

R134a coversion A-C relay panel.jpgA-C compressor repl OEM.jpgR134a pressure switch after cabinet mods.jpgReciever-drier.jpgA-C relay substitute side view.jpgRepl A-C fuse with 50A Maxi-fuse.jpg

Wauchop

Air conditioning hose

View attachment 1053View attachment 1054View attachment 1055View attachment 1056View attachment 1057View attachment 1058

I realize 12 years is a long while, but can anyone tell me where to find the long hose that goes from the compressor up to the front?

Thanks, wauchop