'87 Westy starts fine but stalls when the gas is pressed.

Avocet

Our '87 Westy will not keep running. It starts fine but then conks out when we try to rev it up. We have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel regulator. Now what? Is there another filter or strainer right off the fuel tank? We just don't know where to go from here.

mr.rocksteady2

Good Morning Avocet. Did you find your culprit? Your issues have probably been well documented in the forum, so take your time sifting through the posts Capt. Dave and the hundreds others have spent time documenting. Do you own a Bentley repair manual? It can be helpful in diagnosing these types of problems. Sounds like you were on the right track. I had some issues like yours and it ended up being water in my tank. I replaced the fuel filter originally, but the issue kept happening. Well, the problem was the tank. Either I got VERY bad gas or my aftermarket cap wasn't working to keep rain out of my tank. I decided to drain my tank and when I did (into many very large clear glass mason jars) I had SEVERAL CUPS of water in my tank North of my fuel filter. It is also a great idea to run a container of HEET, water remover through your system a couple times every year. These are just my unmechanic thoughts. I can promise you your solution is in the threads. Please let us know what ended up being the problem. TP

Avocet

Good Morning Avocet. Did you find your culprit? Your issues have probably been well documented in the forum, so take your time sifting through the posts Capt. Dave and the hundreds others have spent time documenting. Do you own a Bentley repair manual? It can be helpful in diagnosing these types of problems. Sounds like you were on the right track. I had some issues like yours and it ended up being water in my tank. I replaced the fuel filter originally, but the issue kept happening. Well, the problem was the tank. Either I got VERY bad gas or my aftermarket cap wasn't working to keep rain out of my tank. I decided to drain my tank and when I did (into many very large clear glass mason jars) I had SEVERAL CUPS of water in my tank North of my fuel filter. It is also a great idea to run a container of HEET, water remover through your system a couple times every year. These are just my unmechanic thoughts. I can promise you your solution is in the threads. Please let us know what ended up being the problem. TP
Thank you for your reply. I would agree that it sounds like water in the gas but we filled the tank and put in gas line antifreeze. In the end, we could only conclude that it was the tank itself. '87 Vanagon's, unfortunately, have a filter in the gas tank and it can not be cleaned. Poor design but there you go. She is at the mechanic's now getting her tank replaced. It has been a costly repair, as you can only start with the cheaper repairs and go from there.