82 westy stalls when warm

dbniel

Help!!
My van is currently stuck in Yorkton, SK. It will start up and run normally for some minutes and then stall. It will restart fine after a 10-30 minute wait and then do the same. Crawling across Canada 20km at a time!
I replaced the temp sensor, fuel pump seems to be working, coil seems fine, I cleaned up all the grounds and checked other electrical for shorts, changed the fuel filter 1800km ago, and cleaned out the distributor.
Symptoms seem to have started after I filled up with gas but I burned more than half that tank and have since topped up with no improvement.
I'm at a total loss.... Any suggestions on what I should try next???

wanderer

Id recheck the temp sensor 11. My 82 Westy continued to have the same issues your describing even after a new one was installed. After pulling out most of my hair I re-replaced the sensor and Bingo. Its rare that a new part can be fugged up but it does happen. Also if you have an O2 sensor check out that the single wire has not frayed itself and causing a grounding issue. Other than that I would say to triple check everything you've done. Is your Catalytic Converter clogged?

RBEmerson

The first rule of troubleshooting: never assume. Don't assume the fuel pump's OK. Don't assume the coil's OK.

Back to basics: an engine needs fuel, spark, and air to run. Most engines will run, however poorly, if they get all three. The engine won't run when warm. Which of the three elements is missing?

At a guess, I'd look at fuel first. The tipoff is
Symptoms seem to have started after I filled up with gas but I burned more than half that tank and have since topped up with no improvement.
I'm guessing there was something ugly in that gas and it's blocked some passages somewhere. Once that happened, a new tank of gas wouldn't help much. As a cheap, hope it works, step, try using either a bottle of Techron or Sea Foam carb cleaner (Canadian Tire lists Sea Foam) mixed into the gas in the tank. If you're really, really lucky, the problem should clear up over time. That is, it may take at least a tank or two of gas to get 100% reliable running, although things should start to improver after the first tank. If not, I'd walk through the fuel system from tank to injectors (not a lot of fun and probably not a DIY job), looking for blockage. Certainly test for good spark when the engine refuses to start, but I'll bet that's not it. I suspect the spark will be just fine.

The air passages may have clogged up when the "bad gas" went in, but that's a highly unlikely coincidence. So I'm back to thinking fuel is the primary villain.

dbniel

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I ended up trailering the van home to work on it in my garage. I went through the diagnostics in the FI manual and found an intermittently working double relay (fuel pump relay). All the connections to and from the relay checked out ok so I went ahead and ordered a new one from cip1.

RBEmerson

Well done on sorting the problem out.

I guess I won "Stump the Chumps" (thinking of Car Guys) with my guess it was a fuel problem. [/GRIN]

S

SoltiC

I have a similar problem. Why would any contacts be ok when cold and bad when warm?