1982 westy - EGR + Battery llight came on while driving // what does this mean?

Dropbear

I was driving my 1982 aircooled westfalia last night when the EGR + Battery llight came on while driving // what does this mean? The lights continued to stay on for the rest of the drive (about 1 hour).

Also, shortly after this happened I began to smell fumes or exhaust in the cabin. I winded down the window (despite being very cold) to get some fresh air. I then turned off the heater and the smell seamed to go away.

Any Idea what could be causing this? :confused:

Dropbear

I think i found the cause of the problem. The Alternator Belt Broke :( now I just need to rent a car, drive to from banff to calgary, purchase the belt and replace it with limited tools or knowledge. and drive to Spokane USA to catch my 6am flight!!

Last edited:

Dropbear

My 1982 Alternator / Fan Belt has broken. I am going to purchase a new belt and attempt to replace it tomorrow. If i am not able to replace it i am considering doing the drive (about 6 hours) without the belt in place (hooking up an extra battery to compensate for the alternator not working) - I need to catch a flight at 6am Monday morning.

Will this Damage my engine? the average air temperature at the moment is about 20'C where i am.

does any one have a link to a step by step guide on replacing a alternator belt on a 1982 Vanagon?