Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Would you buy this? Inspection result & repair history included.

Default Would you buy this? Inspection result & repair history included.

Would love your experienced opinions on this purchase/bringing up to snuff this westfalia.

Private sale between two acquaintances. Elderly owner passing it on to 'next loving owner'

'80 Westfalia Vanagon. 4 spd 2.0 air cooled 273,000km original engine
    All bodywork done on the van, and it has a brand new coat of paint. Interior- immaculate. All appliances and electrical working, upholstery also done. Deal: $5000

Work Done in the last year by dealership:

18JUN09 Replace backing pates and rear shoes, removed seized lower pivots from old backing plates and transfer to new backing plates. Replaced wheel cylinders, seized lines to flex hose and replaced hard lines to flex hose on both sides. Bled brakes several items to eliminate air.

09FEB10 Oil leaks traced to valve cover gaskets and pushrod tubes leaking. Re&re shields and valve covers. Re&re pushrod tube & replaced seals. Cleaned valve covers and repl. gaskets.

09FEB10 Battery failed charge test, replaced.

05MAR10 Vehicle Stalling while driving traced to clutch master cyl. Replaced clutch master cyl, brake fluid, bled.

21APR10 Brake pedal to floor traced to brake master cyl. Replaced brake master cyl, bled system, brake fluid

14MAY10 Battery going flat every few days. Noted water/battery meters are already on. Battery charges fine. Found drain in camper electronics (no switch to turn off camper electric meters) Added camper elec switch in cupboard to turn off camper electric meters

Presale inspection:

-Alt belt showing age/cracks
    -Front-Rear brake flex hoses needed (bulging). (Buyer note: This item being taken care of prior to sale.)
    -Shifter linkage stiff (Buyer note: known westie issue, getting kit from T3 for replacement in future)
    -Needs new front tires, would recommend all four
    -Left rear outer CV boot open
    -Right inner CV boot cracked
    -right outer missing clamp
    -Compression test result: (L) 65 / 80 (R) 95 / 95

Plan: Purchase with brake item taken care of. Drive 100km home. Arrange for repair for all CV items and scout out tires.

Waiting on quotes from the dealership and two independent shops. Waiting on someone who can explain the compression test results in ENGLISH aka not vagueness.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Pretty simple.....the engine is tired with compression numbers like that. A rebuild is in your future if you plan on a purchase. Keep in mind that quality replacement parts are getting rare no matter which Country your in.

That's about what I thought as well. The other repair items aren't major- but of course a rebuild is. Not that it's unexpected at its age, but for many it's done around 300,000-350,000 from what vw told me. Now it comes down to appetite for the restoration. For the same cost of this purchase plus rebuild, I have found a younger engine with all other work completed (owned by a ticketed mechanic). I'm having the inspection done in the next few days and then going to see it (it's out of town, so doing it in that order). Will make my decision then

Best 2ya...Its good to hear of another air cooled on the road. I have an 82 Westy. Read up on replacing all the fuel lines with ones that are able to handle all the additives the refineries put into the fuel formulas. Here in the States, alcohol is added and older type fuel lines are not able to handle it. It degrades the rubber from the inside out.
    Goodyear and Gates have a fuel line that has a plastic type of coating on the inside. This plastic is impervious to alcohol. Look for a fuel line that has this printed on it....SAE-J-30R9.

With an air cooled motor its vital to have all the engine tin in place AND to have a complete engine to body seal thats intact. These parts prevent hot air from being drawn into the engine compartment.hot air is the death of an air cooled motor.

For engine maintenance, a synthetic motor oil AND a proper oil filter (Mahle/Mann) should be considered. CV joints and boots should also be of good quality. Lobro/GKN brands are quality....most all the Chineese stuff is crap, especially the rubber boots.
    Your engine builder should use a spark plug thats ment for the air cooled motor. Forget the fancy 4 prong plugs and stick with one designed for the Vanagons.

Happy motoring to you and safe travels.

I think I've made my decision now not to purchase the restoration candidate. All of the repair or replacement items will be needed up front before I can do any real driving: $5000 purchase + 4 new tires (sourced at $500-600) + cv joint work (quoted at $600) bring this Westie to $6500 to drive with half the power and an imminent rebuild needed (some say $2-3000, some say start at $3500...)

Not that the total of those figures is what alarms me- my budget was the $8-10000 range whether it be a 'purchase low and do the work' Westie or a 'purchase high and the work is done (and verified)' Westie but- I can see that there is a real opportunity for a mechanic or gearhead to buy this instead and actually save because they could do the work themselves for the rebuild.

I know that they don't come along too often in my area- but I'd like to purchase one higher in my budget range with neither of the two major items (transmission or rebuild) to be done, instead. I'm not a gearhead or mechanic so the majority of my repairs will be performed by a shop. I think it's the right way to go for me. I've already found a good candidate in the $8-$10000 range that has a younger engine and no major repair items needed (tba). I'm having the van's inspection done on that this week

Thank you everyone for your consideration Oh, and let me know if you're interested in the posted restoration candidate (Post by CdnFembot on Page 139). I'll put you in touch with these good people. They are in Chilliwack and extremely down to earth, no BS types