Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1980 Westy

Default 1980 Westy

Just joined the community today. I bought an 80 Westy a couple of months ago and I am having a great time bringing Brown Sugar back to life. I owned several VW's in the past-66 beetle,67 bus,70 beetle,and 65 gia and had fun with all of them. Looking foward to being part of the community.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Welcome to the insanity of owning an air cooled. As a precaution, go through your entire fuel system and change out the fuel lines. Most likely the lines you have now, are not adequate to handle all the goodies the refineries add to the gas. Alcohol degrades the fuel lines from inside and this can cause a fuel leak.

Was the previous owner someone who took care of their Van when they owned it ? I would suggest using a synthetic oil and a proper oil filter. Stay away from the cheepo Fram filters. Another safety concern would be tires. The Vanagons are a top heavy loaf of bread and require a tire that has a beefy sidewall. Dont use a passenger tire...use something like the Hankooks; they are very Vanagon friendly.

Air cooled motors run kinda hot to begin with so its important for the "engine to body seal" to fit snugly around the perimeter of the engine. You dont want hot air to be drawn into the engine compartment.

Ive been rolling around in my 82 Westy for about 13 years now and with PROPER maintenance it should last me another 13.
    Happy and safe travels 2ya.

Thanks Wanderer for the welcome and tips. I bought her from a young guy whom I don't think was born when she was built. I have replaced the feul tank and all related hoses and seals. I will take your advice and replace all remaining fuel lines. It seems to have had fair maintenace in the past and runs well. I am currently rebuilding the entire shifter linkage. Although it has some body damage it has very little rust. I found out later that she spent most of her time where she was bought new---in Ca. Thanks again

The magic numbers and letters you should look for is printed right on the fuel line. SAE-J-30R9. 5/16 ID hose works just fine. Use a clamp that has an edge thats "rolled over". This fuel injection hose clamp does not have a sharp edge which can cut into the hose. The hose I am refering to is not the braded type....its a smooth hose. Be sure to use a fuel injection rated hose as its able to handle the pressure in the fuel injection system.

Not sure if you got my email but in it I mentioned Walter over at Bus Boys. He has the hard to find linkage parts and pieces that VW obsoleted years ago. Walter is a good and honest VW savy Vanagon guy to deal with. He's located in Redding California and has a nice web site.

Some of the other online vendors to consider are Bus Depot-Go Westy and Van Cafe.

Good Luck

Thanks again for the great info. You're making me very glad I joined. The only shifter part I need is the front shift rod,the tabs are broken and I don't think they can be repaired. I am going to try to weld some new ones on,but if I mess it up I'll need to have a replacement. I will check with Bus Boys to see if they have one. Happy trails.